Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Something missing from the Executive Update?  (Read 2138 times)

Description:

Offline starbird80Topic starter

• Show only replies by starbird80
Something missing from the Executive Update?
« on: November 07, 2002, 06:54:47 PM »
I'm sure I can't have been the only one to notice the absence of ANY mention of the-product-formerly-known-as-Amithlon AKA "Berniethlon" from the new Executive Update.

This is especially disconcerting given that only two months ago, the EU stated "I can tell you that the new product will be out very soon, and will offer some new requested features, and from what I understand is really going to knock your socks off. We will have an update concerning the timing of this release and the new name very shortly. So contrary to what you may have heard, it will be available soon."

Hmm.  Amiga partners with Microsoft.  The nearest thing to AmigaOS-on-x86 quietly disappears.  Coincidence?

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
Re: Something missing from the Executive Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 07:01:25 PM »
Amiga(OS) is in now way a threath to MS ... no way at all ...

Look at the world ... its huge ...
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 07:01:49 PM »
Hi starbird80,

I like to know this too. But I guess there will be no release soon. Next year?

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 07:36:49 PM »
I'd like to se a combination of Amithlon and AROS, where the 680x0 processor is emulated but not the OS itself. The Amiga API would be there and all OS functions are implemented in native x86 code, written from scratch. Sort of an x86 MorphOS.

That would be the product of the year, IMHO!  :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline starbird80Topic starter

• Show only replies by starbird80
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 11:24:02 PM »
>Amiga(OS) is in now way a threath to MS ... no way at all ...

You know that.  I know that.  But I'm not sure M$ agrees.  Their track record is of hostility to any alternative to Windows.

Given the upcoming DRM issues, a non-DRM architecture IS a threat.  And exposure to the OS (even in emulation) could lead consumers away from M$ products.

OK, so I sound like a conspiracy theorist.  Sometimes there IS a conspiracy.  Ask the BeOS community.

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

• Show only replies by Marky_D_Sahd
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 11:31:01 PM »

starbird80 wrote:
I'm sure I can't have been the only one to notice the absence of ANY mention of the-product-formerly-known-as-Amithlon AKA "Berniethlon" from the new Executive Update.

This is especially disconcerting given that only two months ago, the EU stated "I can tell you that the new product will be out very soon, and will offer some new requested features, and from what I understand is really going to knock your socks off. We will have an update concerning the timing of this release and the new name very shortly. So contrary to what you may have heard, it will be available soon."

Hmm.  Amiga partners with Microsoft.  The nearest thing to AmigaOS-on-x86 quietly disappears.  Coincidence?

It didn't disappear nearly as fast as the last four AmigaInc partners.  Don't worry.  By the time the announcement is made, that next product will be in the dumpster, too.

God I'm depressed.
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!