Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimig AGA for the MiST v1.0 : Slam Tilt support !  (Read 2616 times)

Description:

Offline WeiXing3D

• Show only replies by WeiXing3D
Re: Minimig AGA for the MiST v1.0 : Slam Tilt support !
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 28, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
I like what I'm reading about the MIST, but the only think I don't like is the "Soviet era, industrial look" of the case they are selling the system in.

I'm waiting what is supposed to be the  imminent delivery of my FPGA Replay, otherwise I'd buy one.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:53:09 PM by WeiXing3D »
Amiga 1200 fully loaded by Aclii.
AmigaONE X5000 with OS4.1 FE
FPGA Arcade board in miniITX case with AmigaOS3.9 and WB 3.1.
MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz, PowerBook & Power Mac G5
Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.1.1 &
MiST FPGA Minimig Amiga AGA Workbench 3.9 PFS3 configuration.

Offline 7valleys

• Show only replies by 7valleys
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »
I actually think the Soviet era styling is a plus for a retro machine. Price is cheap, I'm in.

Quote from: WeiXing3D;791777
I like what I'm reading about the MIST, but the only think I don't like is the "Soviet era, industrial look" of the case they are selling the system in.

I'm waiting what is supposed imminent delivery of my FPGA Replay, otherwise I'd buy one.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
Quote from: 7valleys;791805
I actually think the Soviet era styling is a plus for a retro machine. Price is cheap, I'm in.

Agreed. Will have to wait a couple of months, but i'll be having one of those!
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
So this will handle OS 3.9 just fine then right?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline mahenTopic starter

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
Sysinfo reports the speed of a 65 MHz 68030, pretty good, I watched some mid 90s CNCD / Haujobb / TBL demos with no problems :)

Offline spudje

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 07:27:38 AM »
Same here, I don't like the case. If it only looked similar to the Armiga... And lack of hdmi is another deal breaker.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »
I guess it's a matter of taste... I grew to appreciate it actually. It is sturdy and looks like it will last forever :) HDMI/DVI might be implemented in the future... I guess it's better to have VGA support to keep the compatiblity with more screens. Well, if all screens still have VGA support nowadays ? Eventually it should be replaced though, you're right !

The number one issue is not the output of the MiST actually, but the fact you need a monitor that correctly supports 720x576 and 50 Hz (no matter if it's a VGA or HDMI input).

Which is not a problem with a Raspberry + UAE based device. But rendering and overall experience is SO MUCH better with a Minimig / MiST ! (IMHO)

Offline spudje

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
Mmm, good point. Would the native resolutions and screen modes even be supported over HDMI? If I would consider a FPGA Amiga it's for connecting it to a TV (HDMI or SCART).

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
I think those modes can be output over HDMI/DVI too, as both the FPGA Arcade and the Indivision AGA MK2 have DVI output. We should ask people who have both the Minimig/MiST and the FPGA Arcade Replay, like Laurent from Amedia. I think they give similar results. Compatibility may differ, however.

One important difference is that you only have SCART output with a Minimig/MiST though, not with an FPGA Arcade.

There are pros and cons in both cases !

But I would like to emphasize, again, the fact the screen plays a big role. I remember using my A1200 in SCART mode on a decent LCD TV : the result was HORRIBLE. Similarly, before using my current Iiyama LCD, I had horrible results with a Minimig and an LG LCD monitor : it did support 50 Hz but didn't have the right pixel clone and scrollings were not smooth at all. I guess TVs generally support more modes.

ANYWAY... If you find a proper screen, IMHO, the result is awesome. A great balance between pixellisation and bluriness that is even difficult to achieve with a real Amiga  and an emulator (on a LCD I mean... an Amiga looks great on CRTs of course). Probably due to the fact it outputs at 720x576 while also enabling the use of scanlines & filters.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:41:08 AM by mahen »