Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shadow of the Beast: Amiga classic returns from the darkness  (Read 952 times)

Description:

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
From the Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/25/antique_code_show_retro_gaming_shadow_of_the_beast/?page=1

Antique Code Show Let’s state one fact clearly from the start: for all its virtues, Shadow of the Beast did not play especially well. Its often half-baked platform action appeared promising at first, but was let down ultimately by having no game-save positions, a frustratingly high difficulty level and a general lack of fair and progressive gameplay.

Yet Shadow of the Beast still rates as one of the Amiga’s most important titles, principally because it must have sold thousands of Commodore’s dearly loved machines all by itself.

In those days, rolling demos in shop windows were marketing gold-dust, with kiddies transfixed by the title’s smooth-scrolling, multi-parallax layered backgrounds, more akin to the latest hit in a games arcade.

Could you really have this thing of beauty in your own home? “Of course, of course,” whispered those smooth-talking Dixons dickheads.

Read more by going to the News Article Link above.

Official Sony Page for Shadow of the Beast remake.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/shadow-of-the-beast-ps4/

The legend of Aarbron is told once more
Explore the eerie, yet beautiful, world of Karamoon as you discover hidden quests and unravel its darkest secrets in your bid to overthrow Maletoth. Along the way, you will battle hordes of enemies in ferocious adrenaline-fuelled combat, unlocking increasingly brutal moves as you draw power from the blood of your enemies.

Discover the souls of other players and summon them to fight at your side, or to lead the way to new locations, plus enter Survival mode to put yourself to the test against increasingly cunning enemies in endless, brutal combat.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:42:31 AM by Pyromania »

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: Shadow of the Beast: Amiga classic returns from the darkness
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;791638
From the Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/25/antique_code_show_retro_gaming_shadow_of_the_beast/?page=1

Antique Code Show Let’s state one fact clearly from the start: for all its virtues, Shadow of the Beast did not play especially well. Its often half-baked platform action appeared promising at first, but was let down ultimately by having no game-save positions, a frustratingly high difficulty level and a general lack of fair and progressive gameplay.

Yet Shadow of the Beast still rates as one of the Amiga’s most important titles, principally because it must have sold thousands of Commodore’s dearly loved machines all by itself.

In those days, rolling demos in shop windows were marketing gold-dust, with kiddies transfixed by the title’s smooth-scrolling, multi-parallax layered backgrounds, more akin to the latest hit in a games arcade.

Could you really have this thing of beauty in your own home? “Of course, of course,” whispered those smooth-talking Dixons dickheads.

Read more by going to the News Article Link above.

Official Sony Page for Shadow of the Beast remake.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/shadow-of-the-beast-ps4/

The legend of Aarbron is told once more
Explore the eerie, yet beautiful, world of Karamoon as you discover hidden quests and unravel its darkest secrets in your bid to overthrow Maletoth. Along the way, you will battle hordes of enemies in ferocious adrenaline-fuelled combat, unlocking increasingly brutal moves as you draw power from the blood of your enemies.

Discover the souls of other players and summon them to fight at your side, or to lead the way to new locations, plus enter Survival mode to put yourself to the test against increasingly cunning enemies in endless, brutal combat.

The Register is a bit late (a year late), this is old news.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
Good looking version!
New generation of 2D game it seems. Finally something that beats the original?
I imagine that is not extremely heavy for CPU... not that I think there is 1% chance to get a port...
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »
Quote from: KimmoK;791659
Good looking version!
New generation of 2D game it seems. Finally something that beats the original?
I imagine that is not extremely heavy for CPU... not that I think there is 1% chance to get a port...

2D? That doesn't look 2D.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
Good to see Amiga.org catching up and only being a year or so behind.

Anyway no 2D platformer there, all 3D.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 04:10:07 AM »
Let's state one fact clearly from the start...

Way to start your article off on a down note, whoever wrote that article. Sheesh.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:22 AM »
The game is 2.5d. Neither 2d or 3d. The demo looks really good. I hope i get to play it on pc one day.

I like their approach to making this game in that they tried to recreate the original but taking advantage of modern hardware. Watching the interview recently it is obvious the developers are fans of the game.  For example, they even put the jet engines in there!

I also liked the background graphics. It's spot on. Very atmospheric. I only hope the music is on the same par as this.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:27:13 AM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.