Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS for the X1000  (Read 8996 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: OS for the X1000
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
Yeah, I imagine so.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
The real question is: does OS4.2 support the XMOS chip and Xorro bus, and does it utilize the second CPU core? Because those are the features that pretty much justified the creation of the X1000 in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:05:59 PM by jorkany »

Offline BuzzfuzzTopic starter

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »
Again, I'm not bashing it, if I was, I would use words like junk and rubbish.

But it's like they say that this will replace every Amiga, while I haven't seen it playing any Amiga games.
If it's emulating a 020 then every Amiga with a 030 out there will be a tad faster, and then we haven't even gotten to the 040's and 060's.

So you tell me, at the price it will probably sell, does it the package justify the load ?

Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653016
Any contribution to the Amiga community that isn't intel is freaking awesome, and people continue to bash it.

That is good one also, we also haven't seen or heard anything about that.

Quote from: jorkany;653028
The real question is: does OS4.2 support the XMOS chip and Xorro bus, and does it utilize the second CPU core? Because those are the features that pretty much justified the creation of the X1000 in the first place.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline tone007

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653032
If it's emulating a 020 then every Amiga with a 030 out there will be a tad faster, and then we haven't even gotten to the 040's and 060's.

You're stuck in hardware land.  An emulated '020 can be way faster than the fastest hardware '060, unless of course you're throttling the emulated '020 to a particular speed.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline jorkany

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
Quote from: tone007;653033
You're stuck in hardware land.  An emulated '020 can be way faster than the fastest hardware '060, unless of course you're throttling the emulated '020 to a particular speed.

He's a real hardware man
Living in his hardware land
Making all his hardware plans
For '060 emulation

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »
Ok, but then it's doing the same as WinUAE or even AROS for that matter.
I can do that on my PC and even faster than the X-1000.

Besides the real Amiga's and PC / Mac people have, still remains what you could do with it ?

Quote from: tone007;653033
You're stuck in hardware land. An emulated '020 can be way faster than the fastest hardware '060, unless of course you're throttling the emulated '020 to a particular speed.

Offline tone007

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 07:06:59 PM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653036
Besides the real Amiga's and PC / Mac people have, still remains what you could do with it ?

Run AmigaOS4.2!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »
:) yeah I get that, but then we are back to square one, people still can't give me a good reason for it what to do with it.

If all it can do is internet, audio and video, then most people would rather use their PC or Mac here, or not ?
Most Amiga users want to play games, and if it can't do that either, then what ?

Quote from: tone007;653037
Run AmigaOS4.2!

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
Sorry I was just passing through this thread on me way to another, so while I'm here I may as well just say...

Wibble... :D

Now I'm of to the thread I meant to go to in the first place, dunno why I wandered in here but it was nice while it lasted... ta ra... :)

Offline Leifern

• Show only replies by Leifern
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:17 PM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653041

If all it can do is internet, audio and video, then most people would rather use their PC or Mac here, or not ?
Most Amiga users want to play games, and if it can't do that either, then what ?

I want to do all the same things I do on my PC and MAC, except recording/mixing. I'll stick to the MAC there. Write, listen to music, trackers, multitrackrecorders, softsynths and samplers, browsing, e-mail, chatting etc. etc. I'd rather do on an Amiga.

I love the Amiga-enviroment, and using it makes me feal good. I get more confident and more creative using the Amiga. To me using an Amiga is like coming home after years abroad.
I haven't had the chance to try OS4, but if it feels like an Amiga I'm happy. :)

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653041
:) yeah I get that, but then we are back to square one, people still can't give me a good reason for it what to do with it.

Uhm... If you can't figure out what to do with an Amiga (or -alike, whatever) today, what are you still doing around these parts??!
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653016
Any contribution to the Amiga community that isn't intel is freaking awesome, and people continue to bash it.

There is nothing awesome about this, the thing failed on planning/design stage already (that performance to that price), and actually pushing it through to a real PCB is nothing but moronic. It won't do anything at all for Amiga. It won't even do anything at all for OS4 either, other than showing the world that *if this* was what they had to offer, then there is no serious plan for OS4, no sustainable future, etc, and the people behind the OS4 project are sitting in a stasis field with tin-foil hats to shield them off from the reality the rest of the world lives in.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline jorkany

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;653078
There is nothing awesome about this, the thing failed on planning/design stage already (that performance to that price), and actually pushing it through to a real PCB is nothing but moronic. It won't do anything at all for Amiga. It won't even do anything at all for OS4 either, other than showing the world that *if this* was what they had to offer, then there is no serious plan for OS4, no sustainable future, etc, and the people behind the OS4 project are sitting in a stasis field with tin-foil hats to shield them off from the reality the rest of the world lives in.

Pretty much agree 100%.

Offline raddude9

• Show only replies by raddude9
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
There is nothing awesome about this

It is possible new Amiga hardware, with some innovative new features running a new version of AmigaOS. If you don't think that is awesome you are looking at the wrong web site!

Me, I'm a little bit excited, though a bit jaded of course. Despite that I wish them luck and I hope they can bring their new hardware to the market.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »

I disagree. I don't think the X1000 was aimed at revolutionizing the Amiga platform i think it is aimed at a select few people who want one to support their favorite hobby. If i bought one of these it would be because i find it interesting and not for just work purposes. Trevor himself stated a long time ago in an interview that the Amiga was nothing more than a hobbiest platform. Also i think people are willing to spend more if it is something they are interested in such as a hobby as opposed to something they don't give a crap about.  

As for it being a 'failure' that is a matter of opinion. With a guaranteed sales of 100% for all boards being made i would definitely call that a success. For it's intended purpose they have done everything right. I think maybe these problems they are having might actually increase their value over time. I mean, who want to collect something that was easy to make?

I predict the X1000 in ten years time after being released (if they are) will become highly desirable to collectors looking for something classy and exotic. The X1000 is exotic and i think it's a shame all you see is the performance.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 04, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »

I am an avid MorphOS supporter and I do not agree with your statements above at all.  Yes, the AmigaOne X1000 is under powered and over priced.  That is well documented and debated and no one seems to be trying to refute that fact, but this product does help the Amiga community as a whole and specifically the OS4 group, as it is a significant step up from the SAM boards they are currently using and more than that, it is a show of determination by a few individuals, regardless of the money they may lose on their efforts.  The people that are invested in the X1000 project know that there is very little chance to recover even a fraction of the total investment to get to this point and the number of sales will likely be only in the low hundreds, not the thousands that they would need to break even.  But still they are determined to follow through and complete this project to produce the fastest and most modern AmigaOne for OS4 users and developers.

I have many disagreements with some of the aggressive and blindly faithful OS4 fanboys who spout crap and outright lies on many of the forum sites, but I do not object to the legitimate Amiga fans and users that only want to run the OS of their choice on the fastest and best hardware that they can get their hands on.  Trevor is  a great Amiga fan and a nice guy.  In my opinion, and the opinion of some others, he might have been mislead and made some choices that have not turned out to be the best for a possible financial gain, or even break even on this project, but I give him a whole lot of credit for completing it.  He wanted the best AmigaOne OS4 machine he could get and has persevered to the end regardless of what it is going to cost him, or all the negative comments from the many naysayers who have criticized his choices.  He is a true Amiga fan that took a chance and all of us on the sidelines can either criticize him or cheer him on (I have done both from time to time).

I would not buy any SAM board and most likely will not buy an X1000, but I am willing to look at what they have to offer and listen to their arguments for why they (the OS4 users and developers) think anyone should buy their systems and OS instead of the other Amiga alternatives.  If they can convince me that they have a better system, hardware, software, OS, development tools, support, etc., then someday I might switch to their side and buy an OS4 system.  Until that time, I will stick with what I now use and enjoy in while keeping an eye open to what all other alternatives are doing and also still enjoying my old Classic systems and watching what the Natami, Minimig & FPGA Arcade guys are doing.

It is a great time for Amiga users, because they have so many choices to satisfy their Amiga addiction.  Now all we need is more developers to make more and better software for all of us to use.  A key factor to this happening is cooperation between developers for cross-platform development.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)