Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Swift Progamming Language...  (Read 7551 times)

Description:

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
Re: The Swift Progamming Language...
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 06, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;765760
Chris Lattner (who designed Swift), says Apple haven't decided yet, also the language is still considered beta as the final compiler hasn't been released yet...

Thank you. I'll keep watching to see what they decide.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;765779
As usual, Arstechnica have a nice review of Swift... I generally agree with their assessment too.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/a-fast-look-at-swift-apples-new-programming-language/

Interesting article. Thanks Bloodline.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
I agree 100% with you on Objective-C. I really do like it. And I've been struggling to build libobjc2.a for 68k Amigas. My biggest fear with Swift is that they'll eventually migrate off of Objective-C which would effectively kill the language. Bloodline, if you're interested in helping port libobjc2.a let me know; there are some things there that are over my head.

Back on topic, I think as long as both languages are supported I'm good with Swift and I basically feel the same as you, again. There is a weird sense of detachment involved when looking at and working with Swift. I kinda feel like I don't know exactly how to get there from here, sometimes.

I'm surprised there weren't many references to it's similarity to JavaScript as well. I'm probably in the minority here insofar as I also love JavaScript as a language, outside of the browser. There are some syntax bits I'd like to see in JS, and they are slowing appearing over time. I also like it in the browser, but only because I know it very well.

Quote from: bloodline;765752
To be fair you are still allowed to use semicolons as stamement terminators... My biggest gripes are;

The bizzare function definition syntax.
The odd variable/constant type placement (though, they didn't have much choice)
The method calling feels clunky (Obj-C looks weird but is actually rather elegant*)

Due to the unfamiliar nature of the syntax, as someone coming from C, class definitions appear almost random in swift.
My confident, and probably inaccurate, prediction for the future is that Swift will be picked up by beginners and a few hobbyists... But serious developers will stick to Obj-C/C++ since they know it and will almost certainly be working in other C derived languages on other platforms/projects... Swift will then be silently dropped and remembered as an interesting little experiment :)

* I think C++ gets it right as methods are sort of functions in a struct and Obj-C gets it right as methods are executed in response to a message. Both beautiful implementations of their object models!
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;765833
I agree 100% with you on Objective-C. I really do like it. And I've been struggling to build libobjc2.a for 68k Amigas. My biggest fear with Swift is that they'll eventually migrate off of Objective-C which would effectively kill the language. Bloodline, if you're interested in helping port libobjc2.a let me know; there are some things there that are over my head.

Back on topic, I think as long as both languages are supported I'm good with Swift and I basically feel the same as you, again. There is a weird sense of detachment involved when looking at and working with Swift. I kinda feel like I don't know exactly how to get there from here, sometimes.

I'm surprised there weren't many references to it's similarity to JavaScript as well. I'm probably in the minority here insofar as I also love JavaScript as a language, outside of the browser. There are some syntax bits I'd like to see in JS, and they are slowing appearing over time. I also like it in the browser, but only because I know it very well.

I too love JavaScript, and see no similarity with swift... Objective-J is better, actually!?! Why the F didn't apple develop objective-j instead of swift!?

Message sent by the way ;)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »
Ok, so I'm going to spend the holiday (happy birthday Lizzie Windsor!) playing with Swift.  I'll see how it goes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.