Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FastATA 1200 can't boot anymore  (Read 517 times)

Description:

Offline kreciuTopic starter

FastATA 1200 can't boot anymore
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
I reattached my FastATA yesterday and I can't boot anymore from my HDD. I only can see screen with floppy and I can boot from floppy disc. I also can reset computer with reset button on FastATA. Power wire for FastATA is attached. Everything work "before".

Do you have any idea what should I do?
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: FastATA 1200 can't boot anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
"Before" what?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;810217
"Before" what?

I added empty ROM sockets to make more space under FastATA. HOWEVER, this issue was there before adding this sockets (once in a while), so it is not sockets itself AND Amiga works fine... so it is not ROM issue.

Every time (somehow?!) it worked after "touching motherboard for a longer time"... but I don't know what this issue is about. I just can't figure out what is wrong with this FastATA. When it works, it works fine.

Main reason I did it was to add Lyra keyboard interface to use my PS/2 keyboard vs. very old DIN keyboard.

BTW. Now my CF card is dead and I can't even set up new system :(, very happy week for me.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:09 PM »
It works now. Lyra under Fast Ata and all under Mediator :).

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
Ok. I have not idea what is causing this issue. I just replaced motherboard installed everything as it "should be" and SAME ISSUE as before. I can just see initial screen with floppy and nothing is happening (like HDD is not detected).

I disconnected Blizzard and problem is still there. I really don't understand what is happening.

Do you have any ideas?

Offline paul1981

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;810502
Ok. I have not idea what is causing this issue. I just replaced motherboard installed everything as it "should be" and SAME ISSUE as before. I can just see initial screen with floppy and nothing is happening (like HDD is not detected).

I disconnected Blizzard and problem is still there. I really don't understand what is happening.

Do you have any ideas?

Are you certain that the FastATA is pushed down into the ROM sockets all the way and correctly located? Sounds like a connection issue, especially when you mentioned the time factor and how after a while it can sometimes work - which could also suggest a power issue due to poor caps or power supply. Also, seems silly but check the IDE cables that you're using are fitted correctly and not pin shifted (happens to us all at some point).

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 01:26:25 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;810602
Are you certain that the FastATA is pushed down into the ROM sockets all the way and correctly located? Sounds like a connection issue, especially when you mentioned the time factor and how after a while it can sometimes work - which could also suggest a power issue due to poor caps or power supply. Also, seems silly but check the IDE cables that you're using are fitted correctly and not pin shifted (happens to us all at some point).

Yes, I can see ROM version, initial screen with floppy disc, so ROM is attached properly. It is something else?! I really don't know. Power supply is ATX 350W and caps are "fine" (soon I will try with new one).

:(

Offline paul1981

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;810613
Yes, I can see ROM version, initial screen with floppy disc, so ROM is attached properly. It is something else?! I really don't know. Power supply is ATX 350W and caps are "fine" (soon I will try with new one).

:(

Have you tried it again without the new ROM socket 'risers'? If it works without the risers then perhaps the pins on your riser sockets are too thin (or flat, where round would likely work). The reason this springs to mind is that my FastATA had round pins IIRC, which would surely stretch the contacts on the Amiga's ROM socket, whereby inserting flat pinned ROMS would likely not work now due to the original ROM socket contacts being strained. I can't remember for sure as it was 9 years ago that I built that setup of mine, but it's worth considering if all else fails. I haven't touched it since I built it and it's worked fine for me all these years. I can't quite remember whether I used risers or not, could of been the risers with thick round pins...but anyway, worth a look I think.

Without any drivers, the FastATA should function exactly the same as the standard A1200 IDE port (assuming you're using the first IDE port I assume). So your hard drive should show up in the 'Amiga Early Startup Control' boot menu.

Maybe you're floppy drive is acting up anyway being as though you mentioned it in your first post, we don't know for sure yet whether it is related to your FastATA issue.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:15:09 PM by paul1981 »

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »
I  tried... and I have the same issue without riser. It made me so mad now I using 4xEIDE (1MB/s...). I'm not sure how long I will survive this speed.

I have ONE suspicion. I added only one layer of ROM sockets and still Lyra2 is bending FastATA "just a little" (yes, I put something in between ;) ), so maybe this would be a reason.

I think I need different keyboard interface... Why Lyra is so THICK, my previous DIN keyboard interface (made by  Elbox) was super flat and worked fine without any riser (also bent "a little")

No, hard drive is not visible in early startup :(. It is like it not there?! I can boot computer from floppy drive and this should not be ROM issue. This is my newly recapped motherboard so caps are also fine (as someone suggested before).

BTW. I can't take anymore English grammar ;).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:06:08 PM by kreciu »

Offline smf

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 05:41:27 AM »
@kreciu

I have two FastATA's with this problem, on one of them it helped to pull out the mach chips and bend the legs in the socket and clean everything. It has worked fine every since then.  The other one still refuses to work.