Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UltimatePPC and everything else  (Read 24916 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: UltimatePPC and everything else
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 04:15:46 AM »
Hot damn, this would be cool to have. Not holding my breath, but hope to see progress (and a release?) in the coming months!

Offline swoslover

• Show only replies by swoslover
    • http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Relictronic-Boutique
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
I can't handle more vaporware :(
A1200
CD32
A4000

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 06:57:24 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;693950
To be honest i am reluctant to show enthusism with the NatAmi recently being cancelled. I was so enthusiastic about the NatAmi but now i'm gutted. I don't want another emotional rollercoaster ride. What kind of guarantees can they give this will be released?

Is the Natami cancelled? What is your source? There is nothing on their webpage.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 07:07:30 AM »
Not sure if this is another IWin/ACK/Troika (aka deliberate fake) or another ColdFire, BoXer,Brainstormer .... (aka someone completly out of his depths).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
Quote from: Xanxi;693962
Is the Natami cancelled? What is your source? There is nothing on their webpage.

NatAmi is officially dead.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »
Source, please...

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;693963
Not sure if this is another IWin/ACK/Troika (aka deliberate fake) or another ColdFire, BoXer,Brainstormer .... (aka someone completly out of his depths).

It is definitely not fake. We waited with the announcement for months because we wanted to get the prototype boards up to a decent state before actually bringing the news to the community. As a long time Amiga fan I've been hurt by all the false news from Commodore and subsequent announcements by other parties.

We strongly believe we will be able to ship this to all enthusiasts, which will not be easy (or it would have been done a long time ago) but we're sure we can do it.

It should fit in any 3000 or 4000, desktop, tower or converted as the board has the same physical size as an A3640.

MorphOS support etc. would be super. We will try to be as open as possible to allow smart people to boot whatever they can get running on the PowerPC.
A3000T

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »
Quote from: mousehouse;693966
It is definitely not fake. We waited with the announcement for months because we wanted to get the prototype boards up to a decent state before actually bringing the news to the community. As a long time Amiga fan I've been hurt by all the false news from Commodore and subsequent announcements by other parties.

We strongly believe we will be able to ship this to all enthusiasts, which will not be easy (or it would have been done a long time ago) but we're sure we can do it.

It should fit in any 3000 or 4000, desktop, tower or converted as the board has the same physical size as an A3640.

MorphOS support etc. would be super. We will try to be as open as possible to allow smart people to boot whatever they can get running on the PowerPC.

Hi Gideon (it's you isn't it?)

Great news there... ;)

Loriano

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
As a happy 1541U (a project I had my doubts about) user I don't doubt this project for a second. Seems like a really nice board for people with big box Amigas.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;693963

Amiga OS 68k has no need for PPC, and for the PPC OS:s the old 68k Amiga HW is a burden rather than a possibility. It's PowerUP all over again, 20 years after the era where something like PowerUP would have made sense (and probably without PowerUP/WarpUP as well...?)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;693971
Amiga OS 68k has no need for PPC, and for the PPC OS:s the old 68k Amiga HW is a burden rather than a possibility. It's PowerUP all over again, 20 years after the era where something like PowerUP would have made sense (and probably without PowerUP/WarpUP as well...?)

But having the PowerPC on the board brings a lot of peripherals to the "classic side" such as USB, SATA and network. You can choose to never use the PowerPC but just enjoy the expansions...
A3000T

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
Quote from: mousehouse;693966
MorphOS support etc. would be super.

I don't see how this could be happening though, considering we've pretty much given up the classic support. For instance PowerUP MorphOS is still available for download but isn't actively developed.

Why would you want to talk to Haage&Partner btw? All they did was screw everyone over left&right, and as far as I can tell they haven't had anything to do with amiga for ages.

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 09:35:58 AM »
Quote from: Piru;693973
I don't see how this could be happening though, considering we've pretty much given up the classic support. For instance PowerUP MorphOS is still available for download but isn't actively developed.

Why would you want to talk to Haage&Partner btw? All they did was screw everyone over left&right, and as far as I can tell they haven't had anything to do with amiga for ages.

It is so unclear who is doing what nowadays ;-)

Maybe the best statement is that we "will work and support everyone how wants to get something up and running on the PowerPC" and I have updated the relevant FAQ on the site to reflect that.
A3000T

Offline Jope

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;693917
I wouldn't count on this getting produced.

At least Gideon has a proven track record of getting stuff out. (1541 ultimate / 1541 ultimate II).

In my books, this one has a much better chance of getting produced than most other hobbyist based Amiga peripherals.. Naturally only time will tell, so I'll just wait and see once again. :-)

Offline spirantho

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
I have some queries:
Are the 68K and PPC not directly connected? It seems the PPC is a quite seperate entity. This means that it can't access the Amiga's chipset, surely? How are you communicating between the two CPUs? If you're using dual-ported RAM, how will you keep cache coherency?
It seems to me that this is a 68040 card with a PPC slapped on the side, which is great and impressive, but how do you actually use it? Is it like putting an SBC in a normal Amiga (i.e. a completely seperate computer which happens to be in the same tower)?

Without meaning any disrespect to the developers, given the complexity of the project, I'll believe it when I see it, and there's no way I'd pre-order one.... but I wish you all the best with it.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 23, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
@Kesa, I wasn't aware that NatAmi was cancelled, where did you hear/rea this?

Robert
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)