Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAMs 440/460  (Read 9789 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: SAMs 440/460
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
@ JJ, Iggy, & Piru

yaya we know you MOS guys like playing with old Macs now come on guys give it a break would ya...geez :(
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609048
yaya we know you MOS guys like playing with old Macs
Yeah and we know that you OS4 guys like playing with expensive and slow HW. ;)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
Im glad the Morph OS people are so excited about OS4 machines that they post in all the threads.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
People should be able to accept fair criticism without feeling harassed. If I was going to buy a 460 I would feel better if all the negatives/positives have been hammered out and their will be no surprises. If only PC hardware got this level of scrutiny.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
Quote from: Dwyloc;608988
I just don't like it when people say they are Amiga users but have no interest in supporting on going development by purchasing any of the products they ask to have developed.

I dont know anyone asking for new hardware and even someone did it is not a promise to buy. Not everyone here is willing to throw sacks of dollars into a money pit.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
Love me some Sam. :-) It's my fun computer. I don't regret buying mine last year, and soon I will have two.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;608990
If I wanted a macmini or powermac I'd get one. I've run morphos on efika. I'm not interested in another lowspec box with radeon9250 with 32mb memory when I can put a radeon hd 4650 1gb on the sam and run 2gb ram. macmini needs a better video card and it would be really sweet.

this is just for hobby, so if I was not gonna build a sam I'd be building a semi automatic rifle. shrugs, 99% of my time would still be spent on my quad core 16gb ram dev workstation.

Are there PCI version of the 4650? I wasn't aware there were. Or are you referring to the SAM460 with its X4 PCk-e slot. I haven't seen a 460 without a PCI video card yet.

Besides, my 1.8 Ghz 7447A will run circles around your SAM.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
and I imagine my crap off the shelf linux PC will outperform any morph machine without breaking a sweat.

Is this suddenly the late 90's again, where everything was about who have the biggest numbers on a piece of paper ?

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 12:26:06 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609033

how many windows can morphos do for composition/3d with a 32mb radeon 9250 vs a radeonhd 4650 1gb on my sam build amigaos 4.1 when your running a 1920x1200 screen?

Well, a using 1680x1050 resolution and have the 64 MB version, but one is for sure: it's enough windows to have a big mess on your screen...
I.e. theoretically the 64 MB are a limitation, but practically you'll only pretty rarely run into these situations. Nevertheless I agree, the 32Mb are a bit little though. But the 1.5 GHz Mac minis are cheap these days (several times seen them going for ~180 EUR). Also enhanced display is not that big benefit in everyday usage IMHO. I disabled it on several screens.
Anyway, get a Powermac G4 and you have a wider choice for gfx cards.
About the RAM: usually my 1 GB is used for about 20-35% goes up to 50% sometimes and close to never exceeds 60%.

Btw.: Can OS4 address 2 GB RAM and 1 GB VRAM (like in your said 4650)?

Anyway, I think genrally the Sams are rather nice little maschines, but IMHO the price/perfomance ratio is prohibitive.

Offline zylesea

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39:06 AM »
Quote from: runequester;609077
and I imagine my crap off the shelf linux PC will outperform any morph machine without breaking a sweat.

Is this suddenly the late 90's again, where everything was about who have the biggest numbers on a piece of paper ?

No, it's not the specs on paper, but real life usage. MY 1.5 GHz is fast enough to let me do my everyday things. It is fats enough to do all internet things (think of youtube for example, but also about loading times on heavy pages like maps.google.* or ebay.*. On alow spec maschine these things aint big fun. What about hd video (I can replay 720p with a demanding codec) ? mp3 encoding? compiling? huge pdfs? euae? Hollywood (that one pretty demanding if you actually use it, my last project actually requires more than 1 GHz to run okay). For that I need juice!
I am happy the G4 1500 has enough power to do many things nicely, but I will probably get*an additional G5 once G5 maschines are supported. I see the contrast to low power everyday (also have an Efika which I use much). It is not that you cannot have fun with low power, too (I really like my Efika). But from my experience I can sum it up to a very short formula: the more juice, the better¹.

--
¹ Of course that calculation is a bit blunt, you need to take power consumption, price, size and all these things into consideration. But as long as you sit in front of a monitor a fast system is always better than a slower one. I cannot imagine a single task that runs better on a slow maschine.

Offline yakumo9275Topic starter

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;609067
Are there PCI version of the 4650? I wasn't aware there were. Or are you referring to the SAM460 with its X4 PCk-e slot. I haven't seen a 460 without a PCI video card yet.

yeah I am talking a pci-e 4650 on the 4x lane of the sam460

Besides, my 1.8 Ghz 7447A will run circles around your SAM.

yeah, have fun with that awesome radeon 9000. dont choke on that amazing 133mhz bus speed while your back there on the quicksilver.

(typing from my quadcore workstation with 16gb ram and 8tb disk).

I'd only go back to morphos when it has full G5 support with quad cpu and full 64bit VM for memory access. Otherwise I dont particuarly want a hand me down macintosh workstation. I have a workstation, I want something small, macmini is nice and small but I am not interested in a mac mini or I would have posted a thread on macmini's. Apparently posting a thread on sam460 was enough to rain on some morphos dudes parades.

right now I'd rather buy an upper receiver and finish building this than a macmini and morphos license
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;609087
No, it's not the specs on paper, but real life usage. MY 1.5 GHz is fast enough to let me do my everyday things. It is fats enough to do all internet things (think of youtube for example, but also about loading times on heavy pages like maps.google.* or ebay.*. On alow spec maschine these things aint big fun. What about hd video (I can replay 720p with a demanding codec) ? mp3 encoding? compiling? huge pdfs? euae? Hollywood (that one pretty demanding if you actually use it, my last project actually requires more than 1 GHz to run okay). For that I need juice!
I am happy the G4 1500 has enough power to do many things nicely, but I will probably get*an additional G5 once G5 maschines are supported. I see the contrast to low power everyday (also have an Efika which I use much). It is not that you cannot have fun with low power, too (I really like my Efika). But from my experience I can sum it up to a very short formula: the more juice, the better¹.

--
¹ Of course that calculation is a bit blunt, you need to take power consumption, price, size and all these things into consideration. But as long as you sit in front of a monitor a fast system is always better than a slower one. I cannot imagine a single task that runs better on a slow maschine.

But then we're back to "why use any of this stuff, and not just use a modern PC?"

You'll never get the same "juice" out of old mac's that aren't produced anymore.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 01:09:48 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609088
yeah I am talking a pci-e 4650 on the 4x lane of the sam460

yeah, have fun with that awesome radeon 9000. dont choke on that amazing 133mhz bus speed while your back there on the quicksilver.

(typing from my quadcore workstation with 16gb ram and 8tb disk).

I'd only go back to morphos when it has full G5 support with quad cpu and full 64bit VM for memory access. Otherwise I dont particularly want a hand me down macintosh workstation. I have a workstation, I want something small, macmini is nice and small but I am not interested in a mac mini or I would have posted a thread on macmini's. Apparently posting a thread on sam460 was enough to rain on some morphos dudes parades.

right now I'd rather buy an upper receiver and finish building this than a macmini and morphos license

I'd be more worried about trying to run an X16 video card in an X4 skot (never mind the really slow processor in the SAM460).
Care to run comparative benchmarks?

By the way, what's the assault rifle? Lo0ks cool. I'm limited to my lowly Daewoo K2 with a third part stock.

Oh, and on Quad monsters I've got a FoxconnA79A-S with a quad core processor and four X16 PCI-e slots (OK they do operate at X8 when all are occupied, but I'm happy)..

Bet when MorphOS supports G5s and Radeon XT850 XTs , my system will still make yours look like a turtle.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline yakumo9275Topic starter

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;609099
I'd be more worried about trying to run an X16 video card in an X4 skot (never mind the really slow processor in the SAM460).
Care to run comparative benchmarks?

maybe you should read the frigging thread from the begining, this thread would not exist if I already owned one to freaking benchmark. I do not own one, I have some money from selling some stuff on ebay, so I thought mmm maybe I could buy a sam 460ex motherboard.. thats a neat idea..

By the way, what's the assault rifle? Lo0ks cool. I'm limited to my lowly Daewoo K2 with a third part stock.
1954 Belgian FN-FAL.

Bet when MorphOS supports G5s and Radeon XT850 XTs , my system will still make yours look like a turtle.
Sure, and I even said, when MoS supports G5's and can use all 16gb ram, I'll be looking at it for sure with bells on! :)

I dont consider macmini video card adequate enough, I had a 128mb ram 9250 on my efika and that was fine with mos. but the common 32mb, no, and even the 64mb on 1.5ghz I dont consider good enough
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline zylesea

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »
Quote from: runequester;609090
But then we're back to "why use any of this stuff, and not just use a modern PC?"

Easy: Because I can continue to use a computer system I am used to (MorphOS/Amiga) since 20+ years and that just follows my logic. And for these prerequesite I want the best I can get. Maybe it's debatable whether AROS or MorphOS rule here. AROS has the more powerful hw, MorphOS the more matured OS + apps.

Offline zylesea

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 26, 2011, 01:54:56 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609107
I dont consider macmini video card adequate enough, I had a 128mb ram 9250 on my efika and that was fine with mos. but the common 32mb, no, and even the 64mb on 1.5ghz I dont consider good enough
AFAIK OS4 can address 256 MB VRAM maximally. That's more than MorphOS (currently 128 MB VRAM max). And what about RAM: Is OS4 able to address more than 1.5 GB RAM?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:57:57 AM by zylesea »