Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What would be required to display the video signal from a small camera on Amigas?  (Read 4281 times)

Description:

Offline DandyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
The title already says it:
What would be required to display the video signal from a micro cam on Amiga systems (OS 3.9/4.x)?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
First test for the x1000?

I'm sorry when i saw the 4.x it's the first thing i thought of...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Quote from: Kesa;614792

First test for the x1000?

I'm sorry when i saw the 4.x it's the first thing i thought of...

No - just trying to figure out what is required if I realise my project to build a steam operated H0 scale model of an steam locomotive.

I was thinking about placing a mini spy cam behind each window in driving direction (left and right hand side of the boiler) in the drivers cabinet to be able to see if the signals ahead are red or green, as well as to have a view on the track on the Monitor when remote controlling the locomotive.

Of course the X1000's XENA and its I/O capabilities might be a big help here when it comes to the processing of all the video & steering signals.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
I don't know anything about 3.9/4.x but couldn't classic Amiga's with busboards talk to PCI TV cards (ie, Hauppage)?   Alternatively you could strip down a couple of webcams ... assuming you have USB and 3.9/4.x has some basic webcam support ... which I admit may be wishful thinking :)
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Quote from: TCMSLP;614803

I don't know anything about 3.9/4.x but couldn't classic Amiga's with busboards talk to PCI TV cards (ie, Hauppage)?   Alternatively you could strip down a couple of webcams ... assuming you have USB and 3.9/4.x has some basic webcam support ... which I admit may be wishful thinking :)

Shouldn't it just be a matter of video streaming?

If so, it doesn't necessarily have to be included in the OS - an app for that might be enough...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
That is cool. Promise us all you will show us photos + videos + blog when you get it all going :)

It would be way cool to be able to remotely operate my toy trainset from a seawolf submarine submerged 800 ft underwater :rolleyes:

I know it's off topic but in my opinion the idea of using the zena to run a train set is the coolest thing to use an Amiga for since the toaster first came out for the A2000. It's a definitely more interesting use of zena than what xcore/hyperion/aeon has suggested so far :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Even with the VIDI Amiga RealTime 24 on my BPPC060 you only get a new "Live" single frame update around every 3 to 4 seconds... :(

Using my old ROCGEN GenLock you could get a live picture overlayed/mixed with Workbench onto the monitor screen, but as for recording it to an HD on the Amiga that's a different story altogether... :)

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
Using a TV card in my A1200's Mediator setup I was able to get a normal TV picture in a window or full-screen - it was DMA into the display memory though so it couldn't be captured. VHI Studio gave decent results though - a little slow of course on the 68k but if it works at all on the X1000 it should fly along.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
Quote from: Franko;614817
Even with the VIDI Amiga RealTime 24 on my BPPC060 you only get a new "Live" single frame update around every 3 to 4 seconds... :(

My thoughts exactly, the VIDI is probably the way to go.  The problem is the I/O bandwidth which has no noticeable performance increase from the 060.  The framerate is almost the same on an A500.

If I remember correctly (it's 15 years since I used the VIDI) the framerate increased dramatically if you scale down from 320x256 to, say, 160x127 or something.

Or maybe just doing it the other way around,  overlay the Amiga picture (VideoToaster?) on top of the composite image from the camera.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
VLAB Zorro card, more CPU = more FPS.

Let me know if you want one, mine is still fresh in the box with disks and manual :)

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
Video Toaster?

Quote from: Kesa;614806

That is cool. Promise us all you will show us photos + videos + blog when you get it all going :)

Phew, mate - that might take a while.

I had the idea after having bought an electrically driven H0 scale model of a BR 03 steam locomotive two years ago.

I thought that its a pity that I have to run this fine model with electricity instead of steam.
So I started to think about building one myself and how to do it.
Once I had the complete concept in mind I started to think what would be necessary to do the task (computer, software, CNC machines, ...).

And I realised that I'd better immediately start saving money for that in order to have everything together when I will be retirering in april 2022. Before that I'm afraid I won't have enough spare time to start such a project alone.

I work in Cologne and live roughly 80 km east of it - so I took a small appartment in Cologne (where I stay during the week) and go home just every second weekend.

That's certainly not enough time to build a model steam locomotive - so I'm afraid the project will have to wait until that changes with my retirement.

It would be way cool to be able to remotely operate my toy trainset from a seawolf submarine submerged 800 ft underwater :rolleyes:

:lol:

I know it's off topic but in my opinion the idea of using the zena to run a train set is the coolest thing to use an Amiga for since the toaster first came out for the A2000. It's a definitely more interesting use of zena than what xcore/hyperion/aeon has suggested so far :)

Yeah - this way "gaming" could be taken to a new level.

Conventional gaming (like going out to fly an RC model aircraft, to drive an RC model racing car, to sail an RC model ship or even an RC model submarine) could be interwoven with computer gaming to a completely new gaming experience. It could be done in a way that one could think he'd be sitting in the cockpit of the model (e.g. video streaming from the track ahead).

With "interwoven" I mean that "missions" of computer games (like e.g. Interceptor FA-18)have to be completed not by flying a virtual jet in a virtual space inside a computer, but by flying a model in reality - outdoor.

It also could be big fun to fly a video Drone that way...

That's why I think the A1 X1k could really be an interesting machine to tinker with - if I only had enough time...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline spirantho

The output signal is a standard composite one, it seems, so you just need a Win/TV card.

If you're using the X1000 you should use the OS4 TV card drivers as a basis to DMA the signal into RAM (not video RAM). You can then do whatever you want with them - use the XMOS chip to check for bright red luminescence (no need to check for green as it can just go unless there's a red light) while at the same time copying the video feed into an overlayed window.

If it's any use to you I can send you all the source to my OS4 TV card (Bt8x8/CX2388x) drivers.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
I have been to cologne several times to work.  Love the city, found from talking to people that most people are like you in that they live no where near cologne but work there.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
This reminds me of the fun stuff some local MSX guys did:

[youtube]ZbSZmy7ZgQc[/youtube]