Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed Projekt: Community Input Wanted!!!  (Read 2325 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Alien Breed Projekt: Community Input Wanted!!!
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »
I've been at work on this project for the longest time, and during this time I have been unsure as to whether or not anyone would have enough interest to bother playing this first of all, and whether or not any of those few who might play it would enjoy them selves.

Judging by the majority of feed back I have received on here, aros-exex, Aros Playground, MorphOS Zone, DOOM World, E-mail, and so on...

...well there appear to be a lot more people supporting this and showing sincere interest than I expected and for that I am both surprised and utterly grateful. Though now I am at a cross roads and need your input as to which path you think would be best suited for the game.

I have been spending plenty of time mapping, and still have plenty of mapping to do. That I'm having no problems with. I've been educating my self on the inner workings of various BOOM based DOOM engines since the summer of 2001, and know "just about" everything I think I need to know. Judging by the majority of feed back I have received, my mapping style is kosher. So I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing there, and keep adding detail and coming up with new ideas to make each level unique and of it's own.

Where I am at a cross roads though is the graphics department. I have to create or let someone create a new palette for the game. I will be limited to 256 colors, though Odamex will soon be able to display in 32 bit color, but will still only be 256 colors until the Odamex engine evolves past that which won't be fore some time. Because of this (and other reasons), I need to go back and make the best palette I can, but before that can be done, a texture set must be chosen, and perhaps a coloring decision made in regards to the current enemy sprites.

This is where I need your help, I have three paths in mind that I can take. They are:

-------
1. Darker More Realistic Textures with mostly unchanged Aminet Enemy Sprites . (My current approach, less hassle, but not the most professional.)

Use the enemy and item sprites that I have been using with as close to a match to their original color palette as possible (most enemies require 8-16 colors to them selves).
In conjunction with those sprites I will replace 90% of the textures in the Aminet Source Package with all new textures with a less cartoony look than most of those featured in the Source Package, giving the game a darker and more series tone like I, II, Tower Assault, and The Killing Grounds...

...but with sprites that tend to lean to the cartoonish at times.

-------
2. Darker More Realistic Textures with Aminet Enemy Sprites that Have been recolored to match the darker tone of the new textures. (I LOVE this idea, but it would require the assistance of seasoned graphic artists.)

Find a talented graphic artist(s) who could take my new textures as a source to create a new 256 palette for the game, then, with that palette, recolor the original enemy sprites from the Aminet Package, and alter them a bit to give the cartoony ones a darker and more serious tone that conforms more to the other entries of the Alien Breed series.

-------
3. Use all Aminet AB3D sources. Textures will need enlarged and enhanced and new ones will need created that conform to the general theme of those found in the Aminet resources.  (I'm not too keen on this idea, but if everyone votes for it, it will again require the assistance of seasoned graphic artists.)

Rework the existing textures in the Aminet Package to look appealing in larger environments with a better resolution. I.E. all textures would have to be converted from 64x64 to 128x128 without looking like crap.
 Or, using a palette created with the original sprites and textures, modify the old textures so that they have more detail and look presentable in 128x128 should they not look good as it.
Additionally a LOT of new textures would have to be created to that conform to the cartoony look of the Aminet Sources and the original Alien Breed 3D.

-------
4. There are too many FPS's in the world, this is blasphemy, BRING BACK Little Computer People instead!!!

=====

Note: Options 2 and 3 could push the first official release back a month or two depending on how much help I receive from graphic artists.  Option 4 was supposed to be my April Fool's news, but it never got posted for some reason. That makes me a sad panda. :(

Work In Progress:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/63688-advise-for-my-crap-please-thank-you/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:41:37 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
Re: Alien Breed Projekt: Community Input Wanted!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:31:03 AM »
Option 2 sounds the way to go, but Option 1 seems more viable. Option 3 is over the top but would look fantastic.

I'd step back and see what is actually doable, but my vote at this point would be option 2 although more pratical would be option 1 :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:22 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;730950
Option 2 sounds the way to go, but Option 1 seems more viable. Option 3 is over the top but would look fantastic.

I'd step back and see what is actually doable, but my vote at this point would be option 2 although more pratical would be option 1 :-)

There is a poll up now, please cast your vote! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730951
There is a poll up now, please cast your vote! ;)

Pssh. There's no pancake option! :madashell: :D
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;730952
Pssh. There's no pancake option! :madashell: :D

I KNEW someone was going to say that! :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
Err, maybe I shouldn't have put LCP as an option?!?

Dorks! :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;731252
Err, maybe I shouldn't have put LCP as an option?!?

Dorks! :)

i loved "Little Computer People" :-)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »
Me too, but in all honesty, I ain't doing a LCP project! No way, no how. ;)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
I know but I could not resist :-)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »
Man... if Little Computer People gets the majority of all the votes, I'm going to personally come to the houses of each and everyone of you and slap you all!!! :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:22:05 AM »
Well... looks like I got to scrap the project. ;)

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;731349
Me too, but in all honesty, I ain't doing a LCP project! No way, no how. ;)

aww come on LCP 3d remake would rock. :D
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;732143
aww come on LCP 3d remake would rock. :D

It would be amusing, that's for sure! As for rocking... well I'm not so sure about that, unless of course the game featured a hot non-pixelated wife to play with. ;)

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;732164
It would be amusing, that's for sure! As for rocking... well I'm not so sure about that, unless of course the game featured a hot non-pixelated wife to play with. ;)

So...The Sims.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;732165
So...The Sims.

Naghhh, Sims is just a LCP wanna be! Besides, Alien Breed is more erotic, just look at the art work of H.R. Geiger, there's potential there, so long as you find xenomorphs seductive that is. ;)