Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Mouse on a PC  (Read 4074 times)

Description:

Amiga Mouse on a PC
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »
How do I connect a stock Amiga 500 mouse to a PC using the COM port? The model 1351 looks like it has a joystick connecter, so I guess that model will not work. Do you need a special driver or some gadget in between?
Thanks.

Offline Heinz

• Show only replies by Heinz
    • http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de
Re: Amiga Mouse on a PC
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »

-amiga- wrote:
How do I connect a stock Amiga 500 mouse to a PC using the COM port? The model 1351 looks like it has a joystick connecter, so I guess that model will not work. Do you need a special driver or some gadget in between?
Thanks.

That will not work !
Amiga Mouse is not using a serial protocol.
It may be possible to connect it to the parallel port and write a driver for windows, but that would be a lot of work.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
Hi you could use a catveasel or some thing that would give you the charm of running amiga floppy as well..
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:05 PM »
why would you want to connect an A mouse?
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:32:10 PM »
You could also make a conversion cable between the amiga mouse and the serial port using an AVR.
But, considering the technical expertise of the poster, which the question suggests, I think that'd be out of the question to build such a thing anytime soon.
But why, oh why would anyone want such a thing? Cocolino there is yes! :lol:
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:26 AM »
Heinz:
It may be possible to connect it to the parallel port and write a driver for windows, but that would be a lot of work.

Could there be a driver on Aminet? I am quite sure I am not the first one to ask about using an Amiga mouse on a PC.

Speelgoedmannetje:
...conversion cable between the amiga mouse and the serial port using an AVR

That would be impossible for me to do, would rather gut the mouse and install new hardware.  :lol: Good answer though.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
But why, darling, why?
Why would you want to use a dog-slow mouse on the pc?
Joysticks, o.k. I can understand that.
I have lots of silly projects, like using a pc as media-centre/gameconsole, with the use of a joystick-to-mouse program. (which unfortunately doesn't work very well in many games)
Yet I cannot understand this...
For the real 'Amiga' feeling I got myself an Amiga 500 - these are far from rare.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline DrDekker

• Show only replies by DrDekker
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »
@ -amiga-

Could there be a driver on Aminet? I am quite sure I am not the first one to ask about using an Amiga mouse on a PC.

I'm pretty sure you are.  I'm pretty sure you're a masochist as well - Amiga mice are pants. :lol:
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:39:07 PM »

DrDekker wrote:
@ -amiga-

I'm pretty sure you are.  I'm pretty sure you're a masochist as well - Amiga mice are pants. :lol:

It can work, but it takes a lot more than a driver. The Amiga uses what is called, in CloneSpeak, a 'bus' mouse. They were used when clones first started using mice, and needed a special ISA card, before serial mice replaced them. A software company in Redmond, Washington, USA was trying to push its crappy clone GUI, which accepted mouse input, so they made an in-line hardware adapter. People could plug a bus mouse in one side and the other side connected to the serial port, no need for an ISA card, and then they could buy and use the crappy GUI software - they were the masochists.

That company was called Microsoft, they sucked at software, and they never did succeeded in making a decent GUI or operating system. But their hardware was nice; I have one of their mouse adapters :)

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 09:09:21 PM »
hardlink:
Thank you for the information.

Offline Iggy_Drougge

• Show only replies by Iggy_Drougge
    • http://www.kristallpojken.org
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 12:15:30 AM »

hardlink wrote:
A software company in Redmond, Washington, USA was trying to push its crappy clone GUI, which accepted mouse input, so they made an in-line hardware adapter. People could plug a bus mouse in one side and the other side connected to the serial port, no need for an ISA card, and then they could buy and use the crappy GUI software - they were the masochists.

That's funnny, I have a short cable with a D25 female on one end and a bus mouse connector on the other, that sounds like what you describe. The only thing is that the bus mouse connector is a male, just like on a mouse. What could that be for?
A4000/25MHz/64MB/20GB/RetinaBLTZ3/FastlaneZ3/CatweaselMKIII/Ariadne/A2301
A3000/40MHz/32MB/6GB/Merlin/Buddha/X-Surf/FrameMachineII+Prism24
Draco60/50MHz/128MB/15GB/Altais/DracoMotion/DV/IOblix+net

Offline reverendsean

• Show only replies by reverendsean
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 03:27:18 AM »
Left-click seems to function properly under QNX for x86, but cursor movement is unpredictable.  Judging from this thread, I assume it's just an anomaly.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 04:41:43 AM »
Quote from: ;353160
Thanks.

that is a lot of work to do.

it might be simpler to gut an amiga mouse and to try and put the insides from a pc optical mouse in the shell.

or just hook up an old crusty wheel mouse to the pc and pretend its an amiga mouse :)

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
Note that there's no standard for bus type mice. AFAIR even C= used two different variants (the earlier PC mice - up to PC 45 or so - where not Amiga compatible). Movements will be erratic with incompatible mice.
However, this is only a pinout problem, so you could build a simple adapter or just reroute the contacts within the mouse.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Note also that this thread is from 2007 :)