Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CyberstormPPC 68060/PPC 604e  (Read 2965 times)

Description:

Offline BennymeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Bennymee
CyberstormPPC 68060/PPC 604e
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:15:39 AM »
CyberstormPPC 128MB Ram
68060 rev. 6.
Powerpc 604e 233Mhz.
UScsi

Stable and good working card.

€1,650
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:48:06 AM by F0LLETT »
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline First Ninja

Re: CyberstormPPC 68060/PPC 604e
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 10:37:14 AM »
How much do you want for it? Also, are you located within the European Union or somewhere else on the planet?

Does the unit come in its original packaging? What about manuals and floppies?

Oh - it's 2019, and just about everyone and their cat have a camera in their pockets :). How about a few high-resolution photos?
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
I think he posted the price "1650e"  -->  1650 Euros.

Offline BennymeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »
Yes, price was in the first post.

But can be closed, the CyberstormPPC is sold.
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 10:09:14 PM »
the CyberstormPPC is sold.

Wow, these things go for a pretty penny these days.  Lovely card though, would love to own a maxed-out A4k setup with one of these babies in it.

Out of interest, who remembers how much these cards went for brand new, back in the day?

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 01:13:32 AM »
I paid AUD1899 for mine - new - in the late '90s. That's like $3k in today's South Pacific Pesos.

It was a choice between the card and a car. Still not sure if I made the right choice  ;)

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
I paid AUD1899 for mine - new - in the late '90s. That's like $3k in today's South Pacific Pesos.

It was a choice between the card and a car. Still not sure if I made the right choice  ;)

I had forgotten how expensive these were back then.  I remember seeing them in the magazines as a teenager and dreaming that I could own one but they were well out of my reach.  In the mid-2000s I got a used BPPC which was excellent, but I never have managed to stretch to a decent A4k setup.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
And just out of interest, what software made this exotic hardware desireable? I saw Wipeout 2097, Candy Factory, Quake 2 and Payback in the Amiga mags but the cards were sooo expensive to justify those apps. Interested to know if people just wanted the fastest Amiga in the world or if they wanted to use a software package in particular?
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
There is a lot of Software available for PPC-Cards...

http://wup.aminet.net/search?arch[]=ppc-warpup

you can also run Linux PPC and use older Firefox Versions on it :)
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
Typically i found the whole PPC experience an exercise in frustration - have owned a CyberstormPPC@180/060+Cvision and still own a blizzardPPC@200/040+bvision

When i had my cyberstorm, it actually had to earn its keep -this is going back at least 15+ years. i'd have MJPEG video recorded via a digital broadcaster and AD516, and then i'd script up some arexx stuff for imageFX to apply some operators (frame by frame) onto the video. big jobs would still have to run overnight. i think there were some PPC operators, or at the very least i was able to use some PPC datatypes to load/save the frame data.

but then. it was a proper mix and match as to what patches worked with what. having a stable system, and keeping it stable was a bloody pain.
it'd be like, OS3.1 to 3.9 fine, tweak the rom update, able to install boing bag 1 and 2, but not three, only one update version of cybergraphics seems to be happy. not able to run the PowerUP/WarpOS hybrid kernal on the PPC side or it'd crash, only able to run pure WOS. Then various config flags in cybergraphics and WOS seemed to conflict. then you'd find a new set of PPC datatypes and they'd crash out the PPC WOS kernal on workbench startup - so the PPC chip was unavailable to do anything before you'd even got going.
it was a freaking mess.

playing games was possible. if you were a glutton for more punishment. I remember playing a lot of GLsokoban as that was the only thing that'd just about run at a decent frame rate.
i think i managed to chug my way though to around 2/3rds the way through Heretic 2 - though shear determination. Before i got to a point where i was getting killed by something, but couldn't actually see what was killing me. #deskthrow
Wipeout2097 actually worked. it was still pretty jerky, transparency effects wouldn't work more often than not, and bitmapped sprites, again, transparency and mipmapping issues on the permedia2.
don't even bother trying anything on a CV64/3D via warp3d Unless you like looking at a slideshow. the bilinear filtering at least made it a pretty slideshow. not to mention kept bumping up against the limits of 8Meg graphics ram on the permedia2, or 4meg of the CV64/3D

then there was heat and power. the C and Bvision cards get hot. not just the Permedia2 chip, but the PCI chipset glue logic chips as well. those guys need heat sinks too! it makes me wince when i see those chips running exposed with no sinks or active cooling.
The G-Rex runs the same chips, and at least on the gen2 G-Rex for the A4k they fitted it with a fan as standard.

A PPC equipped A4k only has one 5Volt connector on the mainboard from the PSU. it should be strong enough to cope, but it's worth keeping an eye on, and making sure it's clear of dirt once in a while.
The Commodore A4kT was supplied with an AT type power supply and that has thin bendy "tongues" inside the power plug that press onto the power pins poking out the A4kT's mainboard. My machine would burn through it's tongues in the connector plug usually about once a year.
The CyberstormPPC and Mark3 run 64bit ram interfaces. while this is great, the ram controllers hidden between the simms benifit from having some air movement. something that doesn't really happen unassisted in an  A4k case. i remember cutting "air intake" holes in my A4kT's front face plate. sacrilege now i know.

My A1200 is fitted with a PicoPSU, so no power issues there. just heat to deal with. and be careful when screwing down the bolts holding the Bvision to the BlizzardPPC, as if you over-tighten them, you can bend/flex the board which may lead to issues with the physical connection between the two. also, the IndivisionAGA i have won't fit with the Bvision as the connector on the Indie is quite chunky and occupies the same space as the Bvision card. so make your choice inie, or bvision.
then on the blizzard, the PowerUP kernal is in flashrom, so has to be disabled before firing up WOS and then blah blah blah software issues, patch conflicts etc.
I have bought OS4.1FE but i've never managed a successfull install. fails on finding CD rom , fails part way through after finding the CD, change the ram, fails somewhere else. It's just a repeat of my previous experience.

Linux APUS was another non-starter for me too. my background is unix so i thought i was in with a shot. when i saw that i needed to re-compile the kernal to inject my permdia2 graphics drivers - which was why the window manager wouldn't load, i thought i'd just cut my losses there and then.

so if crashing:-
check cooling and check power
then check software.

when it runs, it runs great. ram is fast, disk is fast, an 060 is "how it should be" for your general workbench experience. switching from An A3640 to a CS Mk3 060 on my A3k is like you've got a new machine.
A PPC... not unless you have the skills to do some bonkers overclocking is it really worth the time, effort and aggravation.
I'd seriously love a CS PPC again to try to re-live those times, see if i can fix where i failed last time, and of course, for the brag. but day-to-day, you're so much better off with a good 060 card. but of course, IMHO.

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 09:32:32 PM »
What I think would be nice is a PPC version of IBrowse for OS3.9.  Sadly, SSL on 68k is way to slow to rally be usable.  But it works quite nicely in OS4.1, but IBrowse only has the 68k for 3.x and PPC for 4.x
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »
The Cyberstorm card made rendering on Lightwave with the Video Toaster Flyer bearable, you render a complicated frame in about 20 seconds LOL I regret selling mine though but I needed the cash way back in 1999
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »
The Cyberstorm card made rendering on Lightwave with the Video Toaster Flyer bearable, you render a complicated frame in about 20 seconds LOL I regret selling mine though but I needed the cash way back in 1999
I was wondering about this!  I didn't want to put my PPC into my Toaster Tower (I Should start calling it my Amiga TT060) due to potential cooling issues / swapping over mediator, etc.  But at least I think I should be able to install the latest lightwave without the Toaster being in it into my desktop Toaster.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline amiadudeorwat

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 03:04:54 AM »
There is a lot of Software available for PPC-Cards...

http://wup.aminet.net/search?arch[]=ppc-warpup

you can also run Linux PPC and use older Firefox Versions on it :)
There's another list of software for ppc-warpup for the Sonnet and other PCI PowerPC cards here.
https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetAmiga/wiki/Compatible-Software-%28PowerPC.library-version%29

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 04:07:20 AM »
The Commodore A4kT was supplied with an AT type power supply and that has thin bendy "tongues" inside the power plug that press onto the power pins poking out the A4kT's mainboard. My machine would burn through it's tongues in the connector plug usually about once a year.

I've experienced this too -- at least 2 times.   I was amazed that things worked still after replacing the power supply and after I got a "new" connector soldered on the motherboard.