Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1G4XE under final betatesting!!! (Check www.amiga-news.de translated to English)  (Read 2290 times)

Description:

Offline Helgis75Topic starter

• Show only replies by Helgis75
Just recently read that Alan stated about the A1G4XEs under final betatesting in Taiwan. Check the www.amiga-news.de (translated to English) for info. This is all great news!  :-)

Alan did mention about a new Articia chipset. I'm not sure if he still meant the bug-fixed Articia S or the newer Articia P with 4x AGP, 333Mhz DDR-SDRAM and 133Mhz 64-bit PCI-X support. I mailed Ben Hermans and Fleecy Moss about this question, so i will know soon enough. Anyway, it's just great news!

Congratulations, guys!!! :-)  :-)  :-)  :-D  :-D  :-D
Helgis - AMIGA DEFINITELY makes it all possible!!!

Offline MiniBobF

• Show only replies by MiniBobF
I won't go into detail wether or not I think the AmigaOne will be upgraded to Artica P. Consider though, that PCI-X is only 133MHz point to point (i.e only the bridge and a PCI device will appear on one bus).

If you want two or three devices on a single bus, the speed drops to 100MHz and four or more will drop to 66MHz.

I admit even the slowest PCI-X clock (66MHz) is a far cry from the 33MHz 32-bit PCI system that is prevalent at the moment. Don't forget that the bus will opperate at the speed of the slowest device, so don't go sticking any legacy hardware in there or you'll end up with PCI32-33 or PCI64-33.

The advantages of DDR speaks for iteself, and the efforts are immediately rewarded, it's no easy ride getting 333MHz DDR tracked correctly though!

Neil Thomas, AKA MiniBobF