Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "My name is Caius and I'm an Amiga-holic"  (Read 1920 times)

Description:

Offline CaiusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Caius
"My name is Caius and I'm an Amiga-holic"
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
While the title of this post is obviously meant as humour, there's certainly a grain of truth in it. To be an Amiga user in 2008 you have to be an addict. No matter which flavour of Amiga you are using, you have to live with certain software restrictions compared to mainstream systems, and that takes quite a bit of devotion.

I got my first Amiga in about 1989. It was an A500 with Kickstart 1.2, and it changed my life forever. The rest, as they say, is history. The first few years after Commodore's demise, second hand Amigas were a dime a dozen. In this period I got my first A4000. After upgrading the processor, installing a graphics card, and putting in other gadgets, I had to sell it off in 1999 because I desperately needed the money. As you can guess I've regretted this ever since.

Since then I've had a couple of other Amigas, but I've also had periods away from the Amiga, and recently I got back.

Now, absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it also brings a fresh sense of perspective. Only a few years ago I saw a frustrated Amiga community, bashing at anything and everything, even eachother. I think this is one of the reasons I took my last break.

This time, however, there's something different about the community. Despite most Amiga users being disillusioned by now, the community seems a little friendlier somehow. Sure, there is still some flaming every now and again, but this is only to be expected in any online community. Generally the Amiga boards are a lot calmer and more reflected than the other online communities I've been involved in. Just look at this board. Post a request for help with your Amiga, and you'll have a handful of answers within the hour, often less.

I guess what surprises me is this: Some would say we are fanatics, I've heard many people state as much. But for all our devotion and love for our platform, most people in this community have their feet on the ground. We don't expect our systems to do everything, and that's okay. Most of us use Windows, Mac and/or Linux for what we can't do on an Amiga, and only on occation do I see pissing contests over which OS is better. Basically, it doesn't look like fanatism to me.

I have two computers: One Windows box, and one Amiga. I'll just continue using the machine which is right for the task at hand. That basically means using the Amiga when I can, and Windows when I must. I suppose that's how most people deal with it.

So, what I really want to say is: Thanks for being such a great community. Thanks for being so willing to help eachother out. Thanks to the people devoting their time to running sites such as this. Thanks to dealers who are still willing to sell hardware and software. And last, but certainly not least, thanks to all Amiga users, for it is you who ARE the Amiga!
Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.

Online amigakit

Re: "My name is Caius and I'm an Amiga-holic"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
Welcome!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline arnljot

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:48:06 PM »
A really nice introduction. I almost completly recognize myself in your story.

Welcome!
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »

Caius wrote:

Now, absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it also brings a fresh sense of perspective. Only a few years ago I saw a frustrated Amiga community, bashing at anything and everything, even eachother. I think this is one of the reasons I took my last break.

This time, however, there's something different about the community. Despite most Amiga users being disillusioned by now, the community seems a little friendlier somehow.

the war is over betwen the blue and the red, people are counting their casualties. I also think people have come to the realisation that amiga will never be a leading player again, and lowered their expectations. I love my amiga, even though it can't compete with other systems out there(performance wise). It doesn't have to run circles around my windows-linuz boxes, I just love it.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
I was an avid user of Amiga computers, loved this website, however I did part my way, and I officialy announced I was going away from this forum and Amiga. Guess what, I'm back. Because Dennis returned the Amiga in my life. It's like announcing the Amiga 1000. And the time 3.5" discs where $200 for 10 in a box. Goes way back into my childhood, and I love her. The Amiga. Lovely girl, boxshaped

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »
Yeah, this is one great and helpful forum. Without them I may have given up! :-o

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 12:30:47 AM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!!  :-D
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline twizzle

• Show only replies by twizzle
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »

Hi, And Welcome Back To The Fold, Nice Intro.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 01:59:07 AM »
Welcome back. And yes things tend to be a bit calmer around here at amiga.org than the were a few years ago. There are still sites where you can find a much more "energetic" group of Amiga discussions if you really want to though. :)

BTW, check out threads about MINIMIG. That's been some the most appreciated news lately.

Plaz

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of some of those sites. I think I'll stick around here for the moment. Seems safer for my mental health. Hehe.

On the other hand, there is one thing I miss here. An active bunch of C/C++ developers on AmigaOS 3.x. The other places I've looked I've found active communities for assembler coders and OS4 coders. Not classic. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:22 AM »
Have you checked out intuitinbase.com and utilitybase.com yet? Though many of the headlines are about OS4, there's still OS3.x activity too.

Plaz

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 03:24:46 AM »
Yes, utilitybase is probably as close as I'm going to get. I'd wish it was a little more active, though. But then, it would be more active if people like me stopped complaining, and started contributing, eh? lol

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:51:08 AM »
Nice intro! Very lucid viewpoints. Welcome to AAA (Amiga Addicts Anonymous) at a.org! :-D