Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MIPS for next Amiga  (Read 959 times)

Description:

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
Re: MIPS for next Amiga
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 05:08:58 PM »
Why?

Maybe AROS can be made to run on a MIPS based mobo, but what would be the reason?

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
@above
I really liked the assembler code. It is a lot like 68k. If the assembler code is nearly identical maybe it would be easier to port to.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
Imagination paid a lot of money for MIPS, and they are definitely doing the right thing releasing a low cost hobby board based on their CPU/GFX IP. But the board is around the same price as an equivalent ARM board, but with less mature developer tools and far less investment (I wouldn't expect to see a MIPS desktop/server capable board any time soon).

I find myself tempted to get one... But there are better ARM boards for the money.

-edit- The HummingBoard is very exciting :-)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:28:26 PM by bloodline »

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;779297
Imagination paid a lot of money for MIPS, and they are definitely doing the right thing releasing a low cost hobby board based on their CPU/GFX IP. But the board is around the same price as an equivalent ARM board, but with less mature developer tools and far less investment (I wouldn't expect to see a MIPS desktop/server capable board any time soon).

I find myself tempted to get one... But there are better ARM boards for the money.

-edit- The HummingBoard is very exciting :-)

There are already desktop/server capable board

Cavium have up to 48-core 2.5GHz  MIPS64 SOCs

http://www.cavium.com/newsevents_Cavium_Unveils_48-core_OCTEON-III_MIPS64_Processor.html
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;779147
Another dead hardware platform to support? What comes next? AmigaOs on SPARC? Come on...

OMG, I'd buy that!  :roflmao:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 07:48:35 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;779299
There are already desktop/server capable board

Cavium have up to 48-core 2.5GHz  MIPS64 SOCs

http://www.cavium.com/newsevents_Cavium_Unveils_48-core_OCTEON-III_MIPS64_Processor.html
Lol, perhaps I should have also added "...that I can buy!".

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;779112
Here is the MIPS creator. If you don't like ARM we could port to this one instead.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/195369-mips-creator-ci20-the-raspberry-pi-competitor-that-isnt

I'm going go read the specs of the MIPS. It is 1.2 GHz dual core. 1GB RAM and will cost $65

I have to admit that I have always found MIPS interesting.
But with shipping this is $75.
I just received two 2GB quad core 1.8 GHz A17 based set top boxes that ran about $80 each.
And running Android, these are more practical for the every day uses I have for them.

I might still order one of these MIPS based boards, but it isn't that practical a purchase.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Plaz

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 02:39:46 AM »
Already pre-ordered a couple. Been watching for these since they were announce a couple months ago. Anyone thinking mips is dead might check out the markets they're shooting for. Wearable tech for one.

Plaz

Offline johnklos

• Show only replies by johnklos
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 06:11:28 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;779338
I have to admit that I have always found MIPS interesting.
But with shipping this is $75.
I just received two 2GB quad core 1.8 GHz A17 based set top boxes that ran about $80 each.
And running Android, these are more practical for the every day uses I have for them.

Android - when you care enough to run a crappy, non-portable "run anywhere" branded language / environment which tries to support as many viruses and Trojans as Windows...

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
Quote from: johnklos;779354
Android - when you care enough to run a crappy, non-portable "run anywhere" branded language / environment which tries to support as many viruses and Trojans as Windows...

I know some amigans who would sell their soul, to have AmigaOS (or MOS or AROS) selling 1/10th of the "crappy, non-prortable and virus-plagued language/environment"...
p.bes

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »

Interesting opinion, but Android has always worked well for me.
"branded language / environment" ?
I'm pretty sure the term is still "OS" (short for Operating System).
And..."tries to support as many viruses and Trojans as Windows".
Those require support?
I always thought their presence was a good indicator of the size of the user base of an OS and its general popularity.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
Now that andoid is mentioned: Mips64 is one of the three supported cpus of Android lollipop
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »

I find complaining about viruses support in an amiga forum kind of weird. The only OS I have ever been infected by a virus was my Amiga. Not on Linux, not on Android, not even on Windows.
"Something wonderful has happened Your AMIGA is alive !!!"...
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:36 PM »
it appears HP are making some new kind of computer and creating a new OS for it... http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533066/hp-will-release-a-revolutionary-new-operating-system-in-2015/
maybe this could be the new platform for AmigaOS ;)

Offline Plaz

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »
HP
"shaking up its own troubled business"

They should concentrate on getting their server systems back in gear. Loosing Itanium had to hurt a lot. Our shop cancelled multi-year, multi-million dollar contracts because if it and you'll find similar stories all over. If this news is that HPUX will now run on other CPUs then maybe there's hope.

Plaz

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 10, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
Quote from: gunni;779434
it appears HP are making some new kind of computer and creating a new OS for it... http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533066/hp-will-release-a-revolutionary-new-operating-system-in-2015/
maybe this could be the new platform for AmigaOS ;)

Early prototype in 2016, that should align nicely with the release of AmigaOS 4.2 ;)

What HP are doing is more important than what they produce; They are looking at what compromises have been made in the past and are questioning if we still need to be making them. This is a key mindset for innovation.

Server computing is where companies spend gazillions of $ each year and makes sense to launch to these customers, most of which are dealing with power consumption issues for their ever demanding server loads.

Personal computing is migrating over to the personal devices like notebooks, tablets, and smartphones. Even in the corporate sector here in Oz most companies issue a notebook to their staff. Denizens of desktops seem to be developers, gamers, and professionals in the video and CAD/CAM segments. Oh and the nouveau-retro Amiga hobbyists.

It's all a moot point anyway. Until someone decides to open-source AmigaOS 4.x we are stuck with PowerPC. More like MoneyPC.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1