Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Whdload what's The crack?  (Read 11331 times)

Description:

Offline Rabbi

• Show only replies by Rabbi
Re: New to Whdload what's The crack?
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:45 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;721713
Register here
Matt H,

Is the link posted in the "Links" tab of Amiga.org?  If not, it should be added.
--------------------------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
===================================================================
Computer used:     Amiga A1200 (NTSC version) with 128 MB ...

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;721694
Some games do require a registered WHDLoad (a keyfile). For instance, the game Fears for AGA Amiga's requires a key to work. Lotus Espirt Turbo Challange works without the key, but you'll be racing against yourself! (no other cars on the track...until you have a keyfile that is)!
Most games work fully without the key, but you do get the annoying start delay, so I'd recommend registering. :)

really? that is very crappy.
a1200 060

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;721814
It's odd...
But I look at it this way..
It's not an incentive to get people to register..

It's a reward for those of us who have registered.. ;-)

I'm pretty cheap, and registering WHDLoad was definitely worth it!!
(Took me a few years tho.. ;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 04:08:38 AM »
Quote from: Rabbi;721813
Matt H,

Is the link posted in the "Links" tab of Amiga.org?  If not, it should be added.

Good idea! I've added a link to the main WHDLoad page.

Quote from: desiv;721816
It's odd...
But I look at it this way..
It's not an incentive to get people to register..

It's a reward for those of us who have registered.. ;-)

I'm pretty cheap, and registering WHDLoad was definitely worth it!!
(Took me a few years tho.. ;-)

desiv

I see it as no different from other shareware that disables some features until you register.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;721814

Is it crappy that developers want to get some compensation for all their hard work? I think its pretty damn cool you that its a fully working whdload and all you get is a silly wait screen. Its only like 10secs.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 06:58:53 AM »
whdload follows a long and grand tradition of annoyware.

At first, you think, I don't need to register, I'll just wait out the load times...

Then you see some whdload games (many of the best ones) will not load at all unless you register... Others are crippled or missing features unless you register...

I think its worth just giving them a few bucks. After all, there are so many collections of whdload games. I think I have something like 4,000...

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
WHDLoad is worth every penny. Period.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 01:24:15 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;721849
Is it crappy that developers want to get some compensation for all their hard work? I think its pretty damn cool you that its a fully working whdload and all you get is a silly wait screen. Its only like 10secs.

Its crappy the lotus fault by example, i didnt know it... of course developers can get compensation. Is not necessary to show the knife for a simple opinion.
a1200 060

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 06:01:07 AM »
I do not understand, people complain because no application development for Amiga, but when someone does something good and worthwhile and this person request any symbolic monetary contribution in the registry process, also complain becouse  they do not want to pay a minimum amount.

Its just support to the developer. Is fair and every worker deserves his pay, mostly talking about Amiga OS, not willing to spend any time to develop software nowdays.
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Quote from: Drummerboy;721925
I do not understand, people complain because no application development for Amiga, but when someone does something good and worthwhile and this person request any symbolic monetary contribution in the registry process, also complain becouse  they do not want to pay a minimum amount.

Its just support to the developer. Is fair and every worker deserves his pay, mostly talking about Amiga OS, not willing to spend any time to develop software nowdays.

you've missunderstood this one, the guys complaining doesn't even own any Amiga's and just want to bitch whenever possible, you know it's those guys who seem so "into it" but at the same time its those that jumped ship and left the Amiga nearly if not more than a decade ago.

Anyway, Whdload for life!.
I have been one of the largest contributors and supplied em with over 1000 orginal games.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
$30USD... will have to wait awhile as funds are tight. But yes WHDLoad is great :-)

Most Amiga HDD setups would be a very different story without it :-(
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline spirantho

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
Definitely WHDLoad is well worth the money.
For some reason my keyfile doesn't work with later versions and it just crashes instead of running the game - very annoying. I think Google managed to spider its way to my keyfile at one point and the WHDLoad guys thought I was distributing it (and I wasn't - that directory wasn't supposed to be publically accesible and I'm still angry that Google spidered its way through non-advertised private stuff).

Still worth every penny though (luckily the earlier WHDLoad still works just fine!) - just be careful about where you keep your keyfile (away from prying web companies)!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;721849

It isn't a silly wait screen, there are games that doesn't work with unregistered. And also, could be worth to say anyone interested, that it wouldn't load all the games without an expanded system(even the ones who ran on a stock 1200). So, unless you have a expanded amiga, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;721945
...I think Google managed to spider its way to my keyfile at one point and the WHDLoad guys thought I was distributing it (and I wasn't - that directory wasn't supposed to be publically accesible and I'm still angry that Google spidered its way through non-advertised private stuff).

Still worth every penny though (luckily the earlier WHDLoad still works just fine!) - just be careful about where you keep your keyfile (away from prying web companies)!

WTF Ian ! are you serious about Google spy bots:rant: I know Big Brother is always watching but this sh*t is crazy
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline spirantho

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
What happened is this:
On my website I put the WHDload.key so I could get it onto one of my Amigas. It was just in my private webspace, nobody should have seen it.
However, Google (or someone like it) found my publicised website for the Catweasel or something, and cut off the "Catweasel/" bit. This brought it back into my main personal directory which should never have been accesible, but Verio (the hosters) had by default set it to create browse info when you looked at index.html! This meant it picked up all the contents of that directory, including my WHDLoad.key, and Google indexed it!
I had no idea about this till someone pointed out to me that my personal webspace was visible. This is why I now have an index.html there which just says "Go away, nosey!".

I think what irked me most, though, is that the WHDLoad guys could have bothered to email me - they had my address - and asked me why it was available. The fact that they just made future versions not work with my (legally paid for) registration key, with no warnings or anything, not even a notification - that was rather shady and undeserved. I paid for something for future updates and they crippled it with no warning - not good. If it weren't for the fact that the last working version runs everything anyway, I'd be complaining more loudly, though.

That said, it still really is an excellent piece of software, and I don't regret buying it at all - even though I can't use the newer versions through no fault of my own.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 10, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;722003
private webspace

Ha!!

Those words are funny together...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.