Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Vs Atari (Deja vu?)  (Read 978 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Amiga Vs Atari (Deja vu?)
« on: March 03, 2003, 03:48:41 PM »
While looking at ANN, I was reading a thread about flaming and stuff... then it hit me...

back in the later 80's we had the Amiga and the Atari ST, both machines were very similar in hardware (though it was obvious which one was more powerfull), and thus we had great fun (well I did) competing trying to out do each other!!!!

Now we have AmigaONE and PegasOS... both machines are very similar (practically idendical hardware), with very different approach to Operating system...
When OS4 is ready, I bet we will have the same fun again.

So lets stop these "my Machine is better than you machine" flame wars until OS4 is ready and then start up again. I don't think the community will be split, it will just be more fun.  :-P

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
Re: Amiga Vs Atari (Deja vu?)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 03:56:31 PM »
Back in those days the percentage of "my computer
company that I butt kiss and do freelance trolling for is
better than your company that you but kiss and do freelance
trolling for" was much lower today and given the state
of the Genesi and Amiga Inc sychophancy situation promises
to remain so hereafter.

Frankly I will be too busy having fun with my A1 that I
won't care.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 03:56:55 PM »
Been there, done that. Plus, as a Spectrum owner I was also part of the Spectrum vs C-64 war in 80s :)

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 04:43:07 PM »
oh, there were early preferences..TI, Timex, Tandy..., but it really got serious about the Atari  800 vs. Commodore 64...and then with Atari ST vs. Amiga.

But we never gave someone a break because they had failed to deliver an OS.  I don't understand your reasoning on that....the fact that OS 4 doesn't exist, is a huge, legitimate criticism....why would we 'wait' until it ships?  50/50 chance it never ships anyway.

We always compared shipping products.  That doesn't mean we stopped comparisons if someone announced something...OH NO...what this means is that the shipping product...in this case OS 3.9 IS THE SHIPPING PRODUCT...was compared to the other shipping product...I suppose MorphOS 1.0 in this example.

But, I will have trouble participating, since I neither have morphOS or AOS4, and since I never prepay, it looks like the pegasos will be sold out on prepay orders....so no chance to get the G3 pegasos, now its a long wait till they have anything.

Just as the AOS4 is a long wait.

I'll just slam them both until they actually have product available for sale, that people can buy in the usual way...i.e. put down the money, take home the board...(or have it shipped the same day).

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 04:45:48 PM »
to all who has posted here (3) , i agree totally with you on all of it , yes we remeber the c64 vs spectrum , the atari vs AMIGA and now a1 vs pegasos , but there is a few things here why we shouldnt compare em too much.

remeber that mos is a sort of offspring ,well meant as the main plan for ppc os on amiga, but amiga.inc didnt approve... now 3 years after that was decided mos is still in dev.

i hope that we wont get any atari vs amiga fights all over again, as it was too obvious here who was the better, atleast until the fALCON arrived, or even the JAGUAR , atari could have outdone amiga easyly... but it never did due to loyal users etc.

thats my honest opinion anyway.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 04:56:54 PM »
Just realised I am listening to Frankie goes to Hollywood's "War" .. sort of reminds me of os4/mos debate...

... and what its good for?  :-)

well song 10. started .. "Rage hard" .. hopefully I haven't found a fortuneteller here