Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's behind Microsoft's fall from dominance?  (Read 12657 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: What's behind Microsoft's fall from dominance?
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;747641
I currently have the choice of 4.3 with no camera light, touch screen bugs & random battery drain because google keep trying to keep devices on all the time or 4.2.2 with random reboots due to a buggy wifi driver.

For both of those google maps doesn't work well for some reason the screen just jumps around. Neither one of them supports the FM radio either. There are other bugs and missing functionality, but those are the ones that really affect me.

IMHO if you're having that many problems you need to hard reset the device and start over again from scratch with a fresh install of only the core apps you use.  That or buy an iPhone, because Android clearly isn't the operating system for you.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747596

It's just a tool to get work done with. All this brand loyalty stuff is beyond me.

Hang on... Where are we? ;) :lol:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Quote from: fatboy;747652
I get the point that Microsoft are not as dominate as they use to be, but terminal decline???
It may indeed be a little premature for such a declaration. On the other hand, MS are quite thoroughly alienating themselves from their existing customer base in pursuit of a market that they have consistently failed to get a foothold in for well over a decade now. That's what's known in technical circles as "Wile E. Coyote sawing the tree limb out from under himself."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline psxphill

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 08:23:08 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;747653
IMHO if you're having that many problems you need to hard reset the device and start over again from scratch with a fresh install of only the core apps you use. That or buy an iPhone, because Android clearly isn't the operating system for you. ;)

I already hard reset it when upgrading to 4.2.2 and then when downgrading from 4.3 to 4.2.2. If you're suggesting that I'm doing something wrong then I can point you to the bug list.

Android clearly isn't the operating system for someone that expects updates and for the updates to work. Apple seem quite good at it, but there stuff is expensive for what it is.

So I've got Microsoft and FirefoxOS to choose from. But as FirefoxOS is aiming at low end devices with rubbish cameras, it will probably be a Microsoft phone.

Quote from: commodorejohn;747658
On the other hand, MS are quite thoroughly alienating themselves from their existing customer base in pursuit of a market that they have consistently failed to get a foothold in for well over a decade now.

They aren't alienating many people. There are some type A personalities that complain about the start screen, but most windows 8 users ignore them. The sheep might not upgrade because someone told them that they should be outraged about the start screen. Most of their existing customer base isn't about to buy a new computer or operating system anyway.

Just because they haven't managed to get a foot hold in the tablet market doesn't mean they shouldn't try. They were too expensive with their first tablets & didn't have the right UI, they do appear to have then given up at that point. That was their mistake, not trying to get into the market now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:28:41 PM by psxphill »

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
I like how your argument boils down to "nobody dislikes Windows 8 except for all the people who dislike Windows 8, and they're all either haters or sheep so they don't count." Very sensible.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;747657
Hang on... Where are we? ;) :lol:

Last time I checked I was a heretic who preferred the alternatives to the brand name. ;)

My contract is up for renewal and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get a Jolla device so I might be tempted to get an iPhone 5 as long as I can jail break it. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;747662
I like how your argument boils down to "nobody dislikes Windows 8 except for all the people who dislike Windows 8, and they're all either haters or sheep so they don't count." Very sensible.

Yay we finally find common ground John. :D
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;747662

No my argument is that they can't be alienating the majority of their customer base because the majority of them aren't looking to buy a new OS.

The sheep hated Windows 95 because of the Start Menu when it was added. They'll hate Windows 8 because it's removed. They all come round in the end after they get over themselves. There were people who insisted that they preferred using Program Manager http://toastytech.com/guis/win95progman.png, it didn't last long though as eventually their fake outrage wasn't funny enough to justify the pain.

google has even preserved some of their indignation with Microsoft for adding the start menu for you https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.win95.shellui/MEBAy63Qlbc/dp23ffmNQ0gJ

People being upset about windows 8 is a non event, if you can't see that then you're ignoring history.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:53:19 PM by psxphill »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;747666
The sheep hated Windows 95 because of the Start Menu when it was added. They'll hate Windows 8 because it's removed. They all come round in the end after they get over themselves. There were people who insisted that they preferred using Program Manager http://toastytech.com/guis/win95progman.png, it didn't last long though as eventually their fake outrage wasn't funny enough to justify the pain.
Okay, so we've gone from "nobody hates Windows 8 except for all the people who hate Windows 8, and they don't count" to "they don't count because of what different people thought eighteen years ago."

Convincing.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:44 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;747685
Okay, so we've gone from "nobody hates Windows 8 except for all the people who hate Windows 8, and they don't count" to "they don't count because of what different people thought eighteen years ago."

Convincing.

How people reacted is very relevant. Where are the huge number of people who hate the Start Menu and demanding Program Manager? The same place the people who hate the Start Screen and want the Start Menu back will end up, they'll just get over it.

You can't make progress if you worry about a few angry people.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:47:49 AM by psxphill »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 01:56:57 AM »
Dead Dead Dead

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »
I've heard Classic Shell on Sourceforge.net makes Windows 8 almost tolerable.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »
Quote from: persia;747690
Dead Dead Dead

Problem being - Windows originally came out in 1985 (1.0)...

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;747704
I've heard Classic Shell on Sourceforge.net makes Windows 8 almost tolerable.

I've got a dozen things in my WBStartup drawer to make AmigaOS almost tolerable, is that the same thing?  ;)

j/k, no hack will resolve Windows 8's incompatibilities with certain enterprise apps (insert other long list of complaints here), so that still makes it a no-go for my company.

In a semi-related note, I do freelance IT work in addition to my main job.  Just today had another customer contact me requesting to downgrade him from Windows 8 back to 7.  This particular person's complaint?  Jerky DVD playback with third-party applications, because Windows 8 no longer includes DVD playback capabilities as standard.  I *hate* DVD's, and even I facepalmed when I saw this decision by Microsoft.  :p

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.