Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gaming: Amiga vs PC - Sierra Titles etc  (Read 4002 times)

Description:

Offline djosTopic starter

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
Re: Gaming: Amiga vs PC - Sierra Titles etc
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;711505
This should keep you salivating for a few hours. :)

Space Quest 0

http://wiw.org/~jess/replicated.html

Space Quest: The Lost Chapter (2.5)

http://frostbytei.com/space/about.html

Space Quest 2 remake (plus more)

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/home/index.php?page=games

Space Quest IV.5

http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at/page394.html
Nice one, thanks! :cool:

EDIT: Damn the art for the SQ2 remake is really stunning!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:26:35 AM by djos »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 04:23:03 AM »
Quote from: djos;711502
Hmmm, might have to find a midi interface for my pc and amiga and keep an eye out for a cheap MT-32!
Keep an eye out; mine was ~$50 with shipping, and worth every penny. Gets the kind of sweet, warm filtered tones you find on a vintage analog synth, plus quality PCM samples where they're useful...beautiful.

Now I just need to start playing around with making my own patches...wish there were better software for this than Roland's ancient Win3.1 patch-librarian software...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 04:28:59 AM »
I have gone and beat the entire King's Quest 4 game and encoded all musics in 320KBPS MP3.  Someone else did upload all the musics from the Roland, but they were I believe 160 or 192. I'm not saying there will be quality issues, just wanted to encode it in the best possible sound. :)  Though WAV would of been nice lol.  Havent uploaded all the MP3s yet. I was going to do the same for Amazon Queen.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 04:32:13 AM »
Quote from: kd7ota;711511
I have gone and beat the entire King's Quest 4 game and encoded all musics in 320KBPS MP3.  Someone else did upload all the musics from the Roland, but they were I believe 160 or 192. I'm not saying there will be quality issues, just wanted to encode it in the best possible sound. :)  Though WAV would of been nice lol.  Havent uploaded all the MP3s yet. I was going to do the same for Amazon Queen.
Nice, links please! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 04:29:35 AM »
Quote from: djos;711512
Nice, links please! :)

I believe the site is sierrachest.com

Go to the Music Player, and then choose the game. You can right click and save either mp3 or ogg.  The mp3s were 192KBPS.

I haven't uploaded my versions yet.  Still put away in a folder on my HDD.  Only song I didn't capture without the sound clipping was the bad ending when you eat the fruit and lose.  Might need to change out some titling as well.  

Sometime I will upload it all somewhere. :)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;711475

As for Space Quest 4, you'll notice that the PC version has dialog all through out the game which the Amiga lacked because it had not jumped onto the CD-ROM bandwagon yet. The same goes for many of the early 90's PC ports. They had CD-ROM so they got the definitive versions of the game.

Fired this up last night under dosbox, sound is quite quite good for soundblaster - prolly due to cramming digital samples onto the CD rather than Adlib "instruments".

must load up the miggy very to see if they took advantage of the miggy's bigger colour palette.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 05:04:03 AM »
Quote from: kd7ota;711653
I believe the site is sierrachest.com

Go to the Music Player, and then choose the game. You can right click and save either mp3 or ogg.  The mp3s were 192KBPS.

I haven't uploaded my versions yet.  Still put away in a folder on my HDD.  Only song I didn't capture without the sound clipping was the bad ending when you eat the fruit and lose.  Might need to change out some titling as well.  

Sometime I will upload it all somewhere. :)
I might just do that!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
This reminds me of the time I was able to fire up my Atari ST and connect it to my MIDI keyboard to output the sound from King's Quest (I think it was the first one, though I'm not 100% sure on that.)  It was fantastic!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;711905
This reminds me of the time I was able to fire up my Atari ST and connect it to my MIDI keyboard to output the sound from King's Quest (I think it was the first one, though I'm not 100% sure on that.)  It was fantastic!
Heh...I tried this on my Win95 box, back in the day...it had an Ensoniq board with sort-of-halfway Sound Blaster compatibility, and for some reason it could run music that went through the emulated Sound Blaster MIDI drivers out over the MIDI port - but the game's music used CMF (custom FM patches) so the instruments were all wrong :roflmao:
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;711475
If you are a space quest fan you have to check out some of the fan made titles out there, especially Space Quest 4.5. :)

The only thing I dislike about some Sierra games is that you die far too often, something that takes away alot of the enjoyment. I never played Space quest I back in the day, but a few years ago got the remake which looked "fantastic" SQ4 style, but I suffered soo many deaths I stopped playing. It just isn't in the spirit of Point&Click adventure gaming to learn to avoid traps/enemies/monsters/? individually after multiple deaths.
I have spoken !

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »
but unlike many other styles of games you can save as often as you like and I will always save whenever I've collected something or completed a challenging task.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 04:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Einstein;711940
The only thing I dislike about some Sierra games is that you die far too often, something that takes away alot of the enjoyment. I never played Space quest I back in the day, but a few years ago got the remake which looked "fantastic" SQ4 style, but I suffered soo many deaths I stopped playing. It just isn't in the spirit of Point&Click adventure gaming to learn to avoid traps/enemies/monsters/? individually after multiple deaths.

Totally agree with that. They were still fun though.

I would always buy used games from this guy who ran a BBS, and I had bought several Sierra games from him. It was great, free hint line if I needed it...

One day he called me and told me that he was done with Monkey Island I and that I should buy it because its not like the Sierra games where you get stuck at 95% because failed to do something at 30% and can't go back. He praised Monkey Island for not being linear and for the fact that you can't die...

I think one sierra game had a "Spreadsheet" mode to make it look like you were working, but if you want into it you were locked out of the game...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:35:56 AM by bbond007 »

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
I think one sierra game had a "Spreadsheet" mode to make it look like you were working, but if you want into it you were locked out of the game...

Both Larry I & Police Quest I had it, but didn`t even look like Analyze! (was a Lotus123 like CGA screen). You could return to the game anytime.
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
Quote from: djos;711941
but unlike many other styles of games you can save as often as you like and I will always save whenever I've collected something or completed a challenging task.

This requires that you save every x seconds and/or before locations of previously failed reactions on "surprises". I don't consider saving a natural part of P&C adventure gameplay. SIERRA should at some point have learned from Lucasfilms, but they failed.

Quote from: bbond007;711960
Totally agree with that. They were still fun though.

I would always buy used games from this guy who ran a BBS, and I had bought several Sierra games from him. It was great, free hint line if I needed it...

One day he called me and told me that he was done with Monkey Island I and that I should buy it because its not like the Sierra games where you get stuck at 95% because failed to do something at 30% and can't go back. He praised Monkey Island for not being linear and for the fact that you can't die...

Yes, the only series I really was interested in was Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. But if the death locations/situations were either absent or (for the fun/humor aspect) included but limited to approximately 3 or so, then I would have played the other series as well. My friend really liked the Kings Quest series, but I had lives to save...
I have spoken !

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »
Quote from: Einstein;712040
This requires that you save every x seconds and/or before locations of previously failed reactions on "surprises". I don't consider saving a natural part of P&C adventure gameplay. SIERRA should at some point have learned from Lucasfilms,

A massive exaggeration!

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 20, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
You know, it wasn't the copious and frequent death in Sierra titles I minded - it was the utter off-the-wall moon logic that they often functioned on. You have to make sure to eat the mutton, not the pie, because a dozen screens later you're going to need the pie to kill the yeti? HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT!? Let the cat catch the rat and a full quarter of the game later you're a dead man because the rat won't save you? The list goes on and on and on...the bizarre part is that, for all it revels in comedy deaths, the Space Quest games (at least the ones I've played) are some of the lesser offenders.

Was Roberta Williams brought up in Cloud Cuckoo Land, or something?