Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SteamOS  (Read 6108 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: SteamOS
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
"We're re-skinning Linux and tying Steam to it."

NEXT.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;748667
Man, are you out of touch or what?  There's been a Steam client out for Linux for quote some time now and it runs my Steam games quite nicely.  Serious Sam 3 BFE and my other games run as good on Linux as they do on my Windows machine.  There's also a Steam client for OSX but I haven't played with it.  No, you don't have to buy native Linux or OSX versions of the games.  You buy once, then play on any platform that runs Steam.

Aahhh I didn't know about that, thanks.  English is a second language, sometimes I don't get the sentences 100% right :)
-=Delta

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »
I ultimately think creating a dedicated distro as "SteamOS" (eg, will likely be a skinned Ubuntu) will bite them in the rumps.

I liked the idea they originally had - just a client that was pretty much guaranteed to work on Ubuntu (and later, assumedly - other major distros).

IMHO, the whole factional nature of Linux puts a lot of people off, esp. non tech people.  I've always been a pretty big advocate for Linux, especially to people who have older hardware that want to wring some extended life out of it.  Time and time again, I hear "if it's all the same base OS, why is there 200 different flavors of it?" from people that don't understand the distro concept.

Just a few weeks ago a friend got a hand me down computer from his work.  Still a usable machine, but running Windows XP, which is coming to end of life here in another few months.  I recommended Linux for it, as all he really wanted to do with it is browse the web and the like.  He wasn't familiar with linux and spent the entire weekend installing various distros before calling me Monday morning shouting "I wasted my whole weekend trying 10 different variants of Linux and I can't tell the darned difference between any of them!  Which one should I stick with???"  :)

For us familiar with Linux, we all have our personal preferences - mine is Slack these days, but the sheer variety of distros can be extremely puzzling to people looking in from the fringes.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 02:17:56 AM »
Quote from: Delta;748670
Aahhh I didn't know about that, thanks.  English is a second language, sometimes I don't get the sentences 100% right :)

No worries.  English is my native language and I'm not all that great at it either!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 04:34:43 AM »
Cool for them, anything not Windows or Mac is a good thing...

...so where' my darn Half-Life 3, open ended, horror, action, adventure, fps?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:31 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;748657
Did you not read the article?

Rant first, read later.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
There are still numerous windows exclusive titles that don't run on linux. By the way, requirements for the linux versions, are a bit higher in order to play the same games correctly. It's not very much, but there is a difference.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline motrucker

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »
Oh yea, smell the steam :D
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline bburtonpa

• Show only replies by bburtonpa
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
So THIS is the reason we don't have HalfLife3 (HL2 Ep. 3) after YEARS of waiting!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;748667
Man, are you out of touch or what?  There's been a Steam client out for Linux for quote some time now and it runs my Steam games quite nicely.  Serious Sam 3 BFE and my other games run as good on Linux as they do on my Windows machine.  There's also a Steam client for OSX but I haven't played with it.  No, you don't have to buy native Linux or OSX versions of the games.  You buy once, then play on any platform that runs Steam.

No he's correct. Only products that have a Linux version will run on Linux.

And I'm a bit confused(well not really).  How is Steam an OS when it's on Linux? Steam's been learning their marketing from the big A.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:09:39 PM by gertsy »

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;748782
No he's correct. Only products that have a Linux version will run on Linux.

One of the major features in SteamOS is that you can stream a Windows/Mac Steam title over the network to your SteamOS box.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
Valve have just announced the Steam Machine.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline motrucker

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
Quote from: bburtonpa;748768
So THIS is the reason we don't have HalfLife3 (HL2 Ep. 3) after YEARS of waiting!

That enough to make me drop everything steam and go some where else. Although I thought that was a Valve project - no?  I am used to being wrong these days.

Also, this Steam idea has one fatal flaw. Being tied to linux means I will most likely never go there. I hate linux with a passion. I would rather work with Windows!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:53 AM »
They have my attention.
Sounds interesting.
And free is a great price.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 04:16:21 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;748828
Also, this Steam idea has one fatal flaw. Being tied to linux means I will most likely never go there. I hate linux with a passion. I would rather work with Windows!

Since they are basically making a video game system out of a PC, I don't think you'll ever see a command prompt or even a pointer.

If you look at their latest front end, "Big Picture", you can kinda get an idea of how it will work.

This whole project is for gamers, not programmers so I have a feeling setup and operation with be more like running a Mac than a PC.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 26, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;748828
That enough to make me drop everything steam and go some where else. Although I thought that was a Valve project - no?  I am used to being wrong these days.

Steam isn't tied to Linux.