Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Apple Announcements?  (Read 4541 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: New Apple Announcements?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
Who gives a shıt?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
Sorry, Apple: "Pros" need the ability to burn discs, add hard drives, expand RAM, and install new PCIe cards - internally. This little monolith of a Mac Pro ain't going to cut it. It's essentially a tall Mac mini with better chips and more ports - no thanks.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;737435
What should we all think about Apple's boatload of new announcements?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/10/apples-airport-extreme-and-time-capsule-models-debut-with-80211ac-support

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/10/apple-announces-itunes-radio-for-ios-7-mac-pc-apple-tv

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/10/siri-gains-new-voice-gender-options-system-controls-enhanced-car-support-in-ios-7

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/10/apple-reveals-overhauled-ios-7-with-flatter-more-colorful-design

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/10/apple-offers-sneak-peek-at-new-cylindrical-mac-pro-assembled-in-the-usa

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/10/apple-unveils-new-macbook-air-lineup-with-all-day-battery-life-80211ac-wi-fi

"iRadio" - I don't quite get the picture from the article, is it something like spotify?

Siri - couldn't care less as long as my language (Swedish) isn't supported. Couldn't tell if this new version will.

iOS7 - the design, aesthetics, and features looks very promising! I'm sure it will be very good and that we who prefer iOS over Android will still feel like home! :)

Mac Pro - my first knee-jerk reaction: it looks like some kind of el-cheapo subwoofer for teenagers. But at a second glance it's a really interesting design, both how its done "under the hood" and the features. This is something unique again, rather than just a PC in a PC chassis with apple logo. Specifications looks impressive and it will offer everything that most people will need. I think Mac people will be appealed by this, especially if it also comes in white or silver. :) Wouldn't mind running MorphOS on that one! :p ;)

:)

(But where is the news about new iPhones?)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;737438
Sorry, Apple: "Pros" need the ability to burn discs, add hard drives, expand RAM, and install new PCIe cards - internally. This little monolith of a Mac Pro ain't going to cut it. It's essentially a tall Mac mini with better chips and more ports - no thanks.

Personally, I have a hard time remembering the last time I ever burned a disc. On any platform. Slow, expensive, and tends to result in a lot of discs just collecting dust. If it's not already a dead medium, it's for sure dying. And an external burner is dead cheap anyway, and you can put it in a drawer somewhere whenever you aren't needing it (which will probably be like 99% of the computer's usage time spread out over its entire lifetime).

Last time I put together a PC (my current Core-i7) I thought like you did - got to have room for additional RAM, HDD's, PCI/PCIe cards, etc. But guess what, I bought enough RAM in the first place so there has never been any need to expand. The storage has been more than sufficient as well, never had to put another HDD inside (I have bought another NAS though, have a few now, the latest one was a 2 HDD RAID one for storing the *really* important stuff, and they are all available to *all* my computers on my gigabit LAN, IMHO this is the way to go). The bandwidth in the built-in "HDD" (the PCIe based SSD) will be massive, noticeably faster than traditional SATA SSD disks, and what, 10x faster than traditional HDD's? Perfect as a basis for all your work, and then you complement this with unlimited cheap bulk storage on your network. And I have lots of PCIe slots on my big motherboard. The only one used is for the graphics card. Never ever had the need to install anything else, and come to think of it, this has been the same for the last 2 or 3 desktop PC's I bought. And is there really anything worth putting in there that can't be added through USB or whatever?

EDIT: And I really like the thermal/cooling approach taken by using this design. Very creative! :)

:)

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »
and why is that so bad ? I've not burned any discs for some years now, my dvd burner will likely die of old age instead of usage. Same with adding PCIe cards... I cant think of any I would need. Adding memory: agree, but haven't found what that tower supports. Adding harddisks: certainly agree, but if TB drives become common place e.g. cheaper... then 36 devices (including displays) sounds more then plenty :)

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
@ takemehomegrandma & Nostalgiac

From an average-user perspective, your points definitely have merit. Yes, disc burning is getting to be less and less necessary. But if I'm a Pro user, I need to be able to burn a master of my new CD/DVD on a regular basis. I need to be able to slap in a new hard drive as I need it - daisy chaining half a dozen external drives with power supplies and Kensington locks for all of them is a ridiculous option. I need to be able to double my RAM or swap in a new graphics card when I realize I need a little more performance but don't have the budget (or time) to buy and prep a brand new system. I need to be able to add new cards for specialty purposes as the need arises.

If they were positioning this as a mid-range - or even high-end - home desktop system or small office server, I think that would be fair. But to call it "Pro" and target the professional market at the extremely high price tag I'm sure it will have, that's absurd.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »
If I wanted apple news, I would surf to apple sites.

Who cares?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Quote from: yssing;737450

Who cares?

'Cause it's fun to see what our community thinks of "the popular stuff" :)

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
Quote from: yssing;737450

Who cares?

Yeah... another one tired of notices nothing to do with amiga.
a1200 060

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 05:04:55 AM »
Wow, I'm a computer building oddball.  I rebuild my system every few years. Currently, I'm planning the next upgrades.  Slots are filled with cards; TV card, wireless network adapter, GPU.  CPU has been upgraded once, and the next CPU upgrade require a new motherboard and memory.  Memory has been upgraded once with more and faster RAM. OS and programs on one HD, a RAID5, and a HD for recorded TV. DVD was upgraded to Bluray. Burn a few discs a month. Mainly, for backing up important projects and archiving.

I have a space heater that looks like at new Mac. Novel design, will sell to Mac fans. It has to be topend for next year as it's unexpandable or upgradeable. Basically, the next Mac Mini or Mac Cube.

Nothing really shocking or exciting, just expected upgrades. Siri gets better, wow. iRadio, can't have our customers use Pandora, Groveshark, Spotify, etc. Ooo, Wireless AC just keeping current.

Morphos fans, start bugging Ralph and Piru to get it ported over to 12 core Xeons.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »
What a useless design and very boring on top of that.

Good design is more than just being different.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;737449
I need to be able to burn a master of my new CD/DVD on a regular basis.

If you *really* need to still burn stuff in this decade, a $50 external burner will do just that for you! ;)

I need to be able to slap in a new hard drive as I need it - daisy chaining half a dozen external drives with power supplies and Kensington locks for all of them is a ridiculous option.

I must say this "slapping in new hard drives" is very unusual and probably not anywhere near typical usage (even for "pro" users, whatever that means). Most offices have central storage anyway, especially for bulk storage, heck even at common peoples homes a NAS is quite common.

I'd say that there are two main goals with storage development today: Speed (for your OS, your applications, and the work-data you are currently working on) OR Size (bulkstorage and archiving). You easily spot this fact when browsing the offerings of any on-line computer store; they have very fast but capacity limited SSD's for the first requirement, and they also have very high storage capacity but very slow (in comparison) HDD's for the second requirement.

This Apple machine embrace and adopts these extremes to the fullest. People today use SSD disks in their standard SATA controllers to gain speed, but the SATA standard in itself is a limiting factor, so this new Mac uses a PCIe based SSD controller that provides a storage that is 2.5x as fast as normal SSD's and up to 10x as fast as those old and traditional HDD's.

HDD's has never been cheaper per Byte, their storage capacity is enormous, but they are very slow to the alternatives so they are best used for cheap bulk storage of massive data, archiving purposes, or backups. Frankly, I see no reason to have that inside a computer case, not when the various possible external interfaces are so fast as they are today, not when the amount of HDD's *outside* the computer case is virtually unlimited.

I need to be able to double my RAM

That may be so, but I think it's a bit odd. I have never ever had the need to double my RAM. Maybe it's because I bought enough in the first place, I don't know? Whenever I have bought new RAM (every 4 years or so), a new motherboard, CPU, GFX card, etc came with it! ;)

I don't know how much RAM this machine will have, but I'm sure it will be enough for 12 cores to play with. :)

or swap in a new graphics card when I realize I need a little more performance

OK, many PC gamers who puts an honor in boasting about FPS numbers and test scores etc switches GFX card from time to time. But I think few others bothers. I know lots of Mac people and I have never heard it would be a frequent thing in the Mac community to change GFX cards on a particularly regular basis. Especially not among the "pro" people. They buy a Mac, they use it for a few years until its specs are falling behind or it breaks, then they buy another one. And something tells me this "GFX card" (or rather: dual ones) will offer top-notch performance, enough for every potential Mac Pro customer out there.

but don't have the budget

Ah, but something tells me this computer will be mostly for people *with* a budget! ;) A custom design in its truest sense, highest performance components everywhere, Apple brand, and it's even assembled in the US (not in China). It won't be cheap, it won't be for people "buying a cheap GFX card now with an ambition to upgrade it later to the one they *really* wanted". Mac customers in general don't work like that!

;)

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »
Quote from: yssing;737501
Good design is more than just being different.

This design enables squeezing in a lot of high performance, heat generating controllers in a very limited space using an unique and creative thermal/cooling solution with a single fan that probably keeps things very quiet compared to other designs. I think this design will win prizes.

Of course, it also *looks* a bit odd, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a Mac you know... :p ;)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
pro spelt backwards is orp
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.