Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My new Distraction  (Read 4314 times)

Description:

Offline MarcbTopic starter

• Show only replies by Marcb
My new Distraction
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:12:10 AM »
Hi,

I'm not what you'd call a prolific poster so therefore it is unlikely anyone would have noticed :) I've been absent from here for a bit ... It is all because my lovely wife gave me a Macbook Pro for Xmas...

I can honestly say that not since the Amiga have I been so happy with a pc , maybe it's just because I've never used an Apple before so it's just the newness of it all but I love the operating system!
I've been bitching for years about how long my Windows Dell laptop or my home made Windows PC takes to boot up but -aside from my amigas- I have now found boot up bliss... in a matter of seconds I'm staring at my desktop... and shutting down actually works.. first go!

I'm just left wondering what could have been if Amiga had not gone the way it did... I think it would be very similar now to my Macbook!

...Let the trolling begin :laughing:
"...but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: My new Distraction
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:19:16 AM »
I had the same experience with linux :)

My wife has an older macbook and although it can hardly be said to be fast (its an older G4) i must say, its never given us a single problem or crash.

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »
MAC'S !!!!!!!!!! BAH Humbug!!!!
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:11:41 AM »
Hey

Glad you found a new "home" :-).

However, im always stunned to see and hear about people falling in love with the OSX and telling me its theyr first love/fondness of an OS since Amiga and how this must be where Amiga would be today etc etc.

For me that could not be further from the truth personaly, ive used it mostly at work myself and i even dragged home from my old workplace an old G5 PowerMac that had been retierd and sometimes use it for photoshop, anyways, to the point, i cant stand the OS, id rather use anything else, even Win95 i suspect, what, besides all the eye candy is it seriously you find so attractive?

Quote from: Marcb;605535
Hi,

I can honestly say that not since the Amiga have I been so happy with a pc , maybe it's just because I've never used an Apple before so it's just the newness of it all but I love the operating system!
I've been bitching for years about how long my Windows Dell laptop or my home made Windows PC takes to boot up but -aside from my amigas- I have now found boot up bliss... in a matter of seconds I'm staring at my desktop... and shutting down actually works.. first go!

I'm just left wondering what could have been if Amiga had not gone the way it did... I think it would be very similar now to my Macbook!

...Let the trolling begin :laughing:

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
I use Mac, Win and Linux (Xandros) regularly and they all have their good/bad points.  OSX just "feels" more playtested/polished than the others.

Offline kolla

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:51 AM »
OSX far too often stand in my way and refuses me to operate the computer the way I want to operate it. It's a system where you as a user have to adapt to fit the system instead of adapting the system to fit you, which I find highly annoying.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline clusteruk

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:01 AM »
Have to say I bought a Mac Mini a couple of years ago, played with it and after getting over the cute bits got bored and sold it after 6 months and bought a nice 1080p TV, much better.
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:34 AM »
I also feel like I've found my home on Mac OS X and it feels more Amiga-like than any other OS I've used. I don't really get the "OS X isn't tweakable like Amiga OS" argument, since most of tweaking I did was superficial (VisualPrefs, NewIcons etc).

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »
4Play originally wrote

For me that could not be further from the truth personaly, ive used it mostly at work myself and i even dragged home from my old workplace an old G5 PowerMac that had been retierd and sometimes use it for photoshop, anyways, to the point, i cant stand the OS, id rather use anything else, even Win95 i suspect, what, besides all the eye candy is it seriously you find so attractive?

I've reached a point in life where eye candy don't do it for me, but I must admit I love the case design, only thing I would add would be a numpad !

It's difficult to put my finger on it, I jumped ship to IBM clones after having been a loyal C= user from the Vic 20 days just in time to experience Windows 3.11 and then through all it's iterations, 95, 2000, XP, etc.

The Mac Os truly does feel more "polished" (as coldfish said) and everything just works not like I expect it to... But like I want it to... Seriously subjective but there you go:)

Realistically, I'm probably just enjoying the wonderful feeling of learning something new ....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:48:26 AM by Marcb »

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
Gone kind of the same route myself.

It might "feel" more polished but in my experience its nothing special compared to latest Win7 or Ubuntu wich i use both 50/50 of my time these days.

As for working as i want it to, not at all, i feel trapted, Apple has full control over me and i cant stand that. And i dont understand how it can be this stable for you guy(s), it used to crash on me and my colleague from time to time at work (more often so for him) it should be noted that it was not the latest OS/X version so comparing it to Win7 or latest Ubuntu would be wrong.

I guess its a matter of taste, a local ex Amiga friend of mine have also gotten bit by the OSX/Apple bug and is now a fanatical user of it and all he does is use Apple software/hardware down to his phone and keep telling me how great it all is :).

Quote from: Marcb;605565
[CODE]
4Play originally wrote

I've reached a point in life where eye candy don't do it for me, but I must admit I love the case design, only thing I would add would be a numpad !

It's difficult to put my finger on it, I jumped ship to IBM clones after having been a loyal C= user from the Vic 20 days just in time to experience Windows 3.11 and then through all it's iterations, 95, 2000, XP, etc.

The Mac Os truly does feel more "polished" (as coldfish said) and everything just works not like I expect it to... But like I want it to... Seriously subjective but there you go:)

Realistically, I'm probably just enjoying the wonderful feeling of learning something new ....

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
In contrast to my current experience I remember when I first jumped over to the IBM clones... "IRQ conflict? WTF? Why can't it just work like the Amiga?"
:)

And : " I have to write batch files to play my games? "

Of course all that is now long gone but I remember being frustrated with the differences rather than welcoming them as I do now...

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
I too have tried and left OSX

I just found it restrictive and it had several 'features' which I just couldn't get used to.

It's certainly looks polished, but it's far more of a 'Consumer OS' rather than something your average computer geek/enthusiast feels at one with (IMHO).

I reckon something like Ubuntu/Linux is far more in keeping with the feel of Amiga - so many ways of tweaking the look and feel and so many great free/shareware apps...

Mike.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
I don't really understand the "OS X is restrictive" argument. Can someone explain it to me please?

--
moto
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
All my MacBook Pro laptops run Mac OS X and I haven't found them any way restricting or limiting. Also I hate flimsy plastic x86 laptop HW, too: Knock the laptop a bit and the plastic breaks. Automagically adjusting keyboard backlight, magnetic power connector and cooling system that doesn't melt the laptop when used on soft surface are the small things that make the difference to me.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions: I run Debian/GNU Linux on my servers and desktops.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:51:30 AM by Piru »

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
I have found OSX annoying and getting in my way once and only once: Finder.  When dragging a folder to copy to another location which already has a folder of the same name...  Rather than the sensible approach of combining the folders in the destination, it removes the contents on the destination then writes the source.

Who thought of that should be taken out and shot.

Other than that, the flexibility really reminds me of AmigaOS in some ways.  You can have your GUI, but you also can have your all powerful CLI ;) .  The amount of ways of customising the behaviour are astounding as well: the default write stuff is quite mindblowing...

(Use Win7 Ultimate for my HTPC, use Linux daily, and am responsible for microsoft related products at my place of work...)
Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use