Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone 4  (Read 5234 times)

Description:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Re: iPhone 4
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 08, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I think they are mad cause "Alternative Operating Systems" post appear on the main page. Though I'm not sure why they would click in and comment on a thread called "iphone 4" if they have no interest in it?

Quote from: AmigaHeretic;563528
I don't really think it is an "Amiga" website as much as it is an "Amiga Community" website.

That being the case, many people in this nerdy Amiga community also, shockingly, like plain nerdy technology in general.

This is posted in the "Alternative Operating Systems" forum.  If you want to read about just Amiga WHY are you in here?  Alternative in this case meaning specifically a forum for "Not Amiga Operating Systems".  

There are many other forums here too:

Politics
Philosophy and Religion
Entertainment
Science and Technology
etc...

Would post in there telling people not to discuss politics and only Amiga stuff?

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
The problem is when are so many apple related post with more traffic than the amiga posts.
a1200 060

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »
Then don't read the alt os group.  I try to be careful and post things in appropriate places and this one is in an appropriate spot.

That aside, I've been told by Vodafone I can upgrade in March next year, so I just have to be patient.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 10:51:29 PM »
I'm open to all platforms - no discrimination :)

but... mine is two tin cans and a wire, allows all sort of plugins (bunny ears ?)

tom UK.. wondering how people get exiting about a phone ?? maybe I'm getting old :/
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »
No locked untouchable iPhone ever for me, my nokia N97 works just fine and QWERTY for the win, tho with lack of acess to the framebuffer etc and restrictions when coding for sysmbian I guess im going for the N900 with linux next :)

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 01:17:36 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;563513
To be fair, If you just use the iPhone as a phone it has great battery life... It's when you start surfing the net, playing games and watching movies, that's when it really sucks the battery... And the situation is identical on the NexusONE (the only android phone I have regular access to)... All smart phones are at the mercy of battery physics.

Certainly my Nexus One has battery issues as well.  These devices are not really as much phones as they are Personal Computers with some phone features.  That being said, my Nexus One has noticeably better battery life than my iPhone 3G ever had, and the battery in my iPhone is showing it's age.  Even when left in sleep mode it will not last through a work day without being plugged in.  If I could just pop the back off and put in a new battery I would unfortunately, when it comes to replacing batteries, "Just Works" simply doesn't apply to Apple.

The big complaint with the iPhone 4 though is besides the continued flaw of not being able to replace the battery, Apple decided that shaving a 1/4 inch of the previously acceptable thickness was more important than having the phone last the whole day without needing to be charged.  If they had left the same form factor, they could have doubled the size of the battery.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
Quote from: Nostalgiac;563582

tom UK.. wondering how people get exiting about a phone ?? maybe I'm getting old :/

I said the same thing when a phone was a phone.  That really isn't the case anymore.  These are full fledged personal computers that just happen to have phone calls as one of the features.  You can even run your Amiga software on the Android devices.  I'm sure you can on the 'i' devices as well if your willing to void your warranty.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 02:21:23 AM »
The tech' industry is all about mindshare, Apple has done an amaizing job of gaining it in a very short space of time.  Full credit to them and shame on their competition.

The best part for consumer's is Apple's strong position makes other companies try harder to produce more featureful products for less money as they cant compete with Apple on cool factor.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:22:41 AM by coldfish »

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
Apple consistently is able to articulate their vision and demonstrate it to their customers.  Before Apple there were apps for mobile devices, after Apple people started actually buying them.  They created a device that jus worked, a simple consistent user interface.

And, this is important, a device that is both the ultimate (so you buy it) and penultimate (so you expect more) device.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
Just installed the iOS 4 Gold master, apple might have been late to the party with multitasking and folders (two things I've complained about since OS 2)... But they are the best dressed ;)

In all seriousness, the new os has pretty much fixed any gripes I had with it... Time to look for other things that annoy me :)

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »
Quote from: odin;563379
Humbug. Apple is the new Microsoft.

That's what I'm thinking too since some time...

Its arrogance and snobbish style is getting me nervous and nervous.

It was also in the past (I remember the iMac TV ad for Internet connection: "...uh, uh, uh... there is no step three..." aaaargh!), but now it's going far beyond.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
Hmm...I wonder if it will run OS4.... :python:

;)

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;563825
Just installed the iOS 4 Gold master, apple might have been late to the party with multitasking and folders (two things I've complained about since OS 2)... But they are the best dressed ;)

The iOS springboard while really simple and usable is looking REALLY dated now.

Currently, I'd say Palm's webOS UI is the "best dressed".  Unfortunately with the purchase of Palm by HP we may never see more advanced mobile devices using it (but it will probably be used on printers, yay :().
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
Quote from: adolescent;563867
The iOS springboard while really simple and usable is looking REALLY dated now.

Currently, I'd say Palm's webOS UI is the "best dressed".  Unfortunately with the purchase of Palm by HP we may never see more advanced mobile devices using it (but it will probably be used on printers, yay :().
Totally agree, springboard was looking VERY dated but the iOS4 manages to freshen the whole interface while still keeping the simplicity that I have grown fond of (I do find the android a bit fiddly).

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
I lost interest in it when I saw how closed the system is. Do you still have to buy a Mac to be able to develop for it ? Are you still limited to only being able to sell software for it through Apple store ? I'm asking but I'm sure the answer to those questions is still yes.
At least M$ Oses allow more freedom for the devs.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
That can be right!  I remember Jobs spouting that Apple wouldn't use adobe products like flash because they weren't open like Apple is....

Ohh how I chuckled.

The biggest open platform in apple is Accounts Receivable.