Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone 4  (Read 5233 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
iPhone 4
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »

Updated design
Apple says the iPhone 4 is 9.3mm thick, or 24 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS. It includes new camera with an LED flash on the black, but a second, front-facing camera as well. There are new volume buttons, a mute button, plus a second microphone on the top for noise cancellation. Just like the iPad, it now incorporates a micro-SIM tray.

Apple has also engineered three integrated antennas into the design: one for Bluetooth, one for WI-Fi and GPS, and one for UMTS and GSM.

Improved display
A new screen technology called a retina display add much higher precision to the iPhone. In fact, at 326 pixels per inch, it’s double the 163 pixels per inch resolution of the iPhone 3GS.

The new display is the same 3.5 inches diagonally, but at 960 by 640 it has four times as many pixels as the previous model. And the 800:1 contrast ratio is also four times that of the iPhone 3GS. It uses the same IPS display technology as the iPad and the iMac for good color fidelity, brightness, and viewing angle.

New processor
Designed by Apple, the A4 chip is tiny and has good power management. Apple went with the micro-SIM design to save space, mostly for a new battery that—coupled with the new chip—Apple says provides 40 percent more talk time. The company says talk time is up from 5 hours to 7 hours; 6 hours of 3G browsing; 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing; 10 hours of video; 40 hours of music; and 300 hours of standby.

Environmentally, the new iPhone is arsenic free, BFR-free mercury-free, PVC-free, and made from highly recyclable materials.

It comes in sizes up to 32GB of storage (the same as the iPhone 3GS) and includes quad-band HSPDPA/HSUPA networking with a maximum of 7.2Mbps down and 5.8 Mbps up.

“That’s theoretical because the carriers don’t support it yet,” said Jobs.

There’s also 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking, an improvement from 802.11g in the previous model.

Gyroscope
The iPhone 4 add a three-axis gyroscope for measuring angular velocity. It can figure out pitch, roll, and yaw; and rotation about gravity. The gyroscope plus the accelerometer provide six-axis motion sensing. There are also new CoreMotion APIs that developers can call for extremely precise position information—ideal for games.

New camera system
The iPhone 4 has a new, 5-megapixel camera with 5x digital zoom and an LED flash. It also adds 720p HD video capture at 30 frames per second. To go along with the new video capabilities, Apple has created a version of its iMovie consumer video-editing application for the iPhone. With it, you can record or edit you videos (and add photos as well). You can add titles, changes themes, and use music from your iTunes library.

iMovie for iPhone will be available for $5—“if we approve it,” Jobs joked, in reference to the App Store.

Video chat
For Jobs’ patented (well, probably not, but it should be) One More Thing moment, he sat down on a chair to show off the iPhone 4’s video chatting capabilities. Using either of the two cameras, you can make video calls—a feature called FaceTime—between iPhone 4 phones over Wi-Fi only—at least through 2010. Jobs said Apple needs to “work a little bit with the cellular providers in the future”. You can switch between cameras and chat in landscape or portait mode.

Pricing and availability
The iPhone 4 will come in black and white, at $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB (with the same qualifications and two-year contract with AT&T as in the past). Apple will also add an 8GB iPhone 3GS for $99.

Jobs said that AT&T is going to make “an incredibly generous upgrade offer.” If your contract expires any time in 2010, you’re immediately eligible for that pricing, for up to six months early eligibility. The iPhone 4 will be available from Apple and AT&T’s retail and online stores, as well as at Best Buy and Wal-Mart stores.

The iPhone 4 goes on sale in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K., and Japan on June 24, with pre-orders starting on June 15. It will ship in 18 more countries in July, in 24 more in August, and in 40 more by the end of September.

Apple also showed off some accessories: a $29 dock and a $29 case called a Bumper that comes inwhite, black, blue, green, orange, or pink.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: iPhone 4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »
Thanks for the macsturbation... oops the info.
a1200 060

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:48:25 PM »
I've been waiting to hear what they were bringing to the table.  Unfortunately for Apple, there is nothing in the announcement that makes them a break out product.  They are now, even with their newest product, slightly behind their competition.  The new phone sounds like a good solid improvement on the 3G, but it still lacks key features.

Apple is now officially off track.  The 3G is plenty thin.  To get the 4G unnecessarily thinner thy have decided to keep the major flaws of no external memory, and non-replicable battery as well as giving up the ability to basically double the battery size.  They have also started to take their abuse of developers as a point of personal pride, or at least laugh them off as a joke.  That doesn't bode well for their future market share.

The front facing phone is nice, but that is about all they have on the competition, and if that matters to consumers, we will see it on other phones REALLY quickly.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:01:14 PM »
Humbug. Apple is the new Microsoft.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »
the A4 chip

Ah, the A4 chip again! Only ARM makes it possible!

:)

Looks like an interesting gadget. Pushing the envelope.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »
Quote from: odin;563379
Humbug. Apple is the new Microsoft.
What does that make MicroSoft then?

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:04:39 AM »
Ahh.. uses the Retina display.. Um I think some Amiga's have had Retina displays for quite sometime now..huh.  I know one of mine has a Retina ZIII card :-)

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:21:25 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;563384

The new Commodore ...

Offline tone007

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »
Bill Gates is way cooler than Steve Jobs!

[youtube]Xr5w3X4R8b4[/youtube]
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;563384

Irrelevant?

As far as being on the forefront of technology anyway.  They are still plenty relevant when it comes to sucking people dry that believe they have to be stuck with their same old MS software.  Don't get me wrong I don't hate MS.  They actually make nice mice. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:53:13 AM by AmigaHeretic »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
I'll wait for the AROS port. :p
Ed.

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:57:48 AM »
Apple says the iPhone 4 is 9.3mm thick, or 24 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS

Anybody that owns an iPhone knows that one little flaw we try to keep hidden from the world.  Battery life is the suck.  

I'd rather keep the same thickness and get 24 percent longer battery life.
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:03:44 AM »
Imovie on the iphone?. I wonder how that is going to work?

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:37:21 AM »
Quote from: spihunter;563401
Imovie on the iphone?. I wonder how that is going to work?

Not over wifi I guess.

http://gizmodo.com/5557458/watch-the-steve-jobs-keynote-meltdown