Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would this be any good for WinUAE?  (Read 4461 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaEdTopic starter

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
Would this be any good for WinUAE?
« on: February 19, 2005, 08:50:50 PM »
Howdy,
I'm thinking of buying a new PC to use with WinUAE. I have to do things on the cheap and can get a fair deal from a local guy on a system with the following...

Mother board: Soyo K7VM333
Processor: Sempron 2500+ 1.75 Ghz
Memory: 512MB DDR 333mhz

Has UniChrome GDX onboard video with 32 MB shared ram.
(board also has 4x agp slot - but can't afford a card right now... perhaps in the future - any recomendations welcome)

Have the option of several different size hard drives depending on how much I wish to spend.

So, my question is would this work well with WinUAE? Would it be worth spending the money?

I'm actually trying winUAE on my old AMD k6-2/380 with 512mb and xp pro. it works fairly well although I beleive that it's really sluggish with the games.

Just looking for thoughts here, not trying to open the can of worms  :-o

Thanks,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline Damion

Re: Would this be any good for WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 09:56:58 PM »
That would be a killer setup for WinUAE. Plenty fast.

One thing I would consider however (if your friend hasn't already bought the processor) would be to go for this instead of the Sempron, it will be faster becasue of the larger cache and clockspeed (and as you can see there's no price difference!).

If you want to play with overclocking a little, I would suggest an Athlon Mobile. This one is likely your best bet, once again similar clockspeed at the same price, and very easy to overclock due to the unlocked multipliers. The default FSB speed is slower, but (with adequate cooling) they will overclock easily to 400 MHz (DDR). If you don't want to bother with all that, I'd stick with the Athlon XP 2500+, which is a great choice IMHO.

-edit- Another thing to consider...for just a bit more cash, you can get an n-force2 motherboard with nicer specs (ability to run 400 MHz DDR, better onboard video/etc..). If this is an option for you, let us know and we'd be more than happy to steer ya in the right direction.

Cheers

:pint:

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 10:31:35 PM »
An AMD K6-2/380 will come short in some instances BUT you don't need a hole lot more to be happy... My P3 450 did a good jobb for just about everything concerning WinUAE. Much speed can be gained from propper settings in the emulator.

For WinUAE I'd recomend a 800Mhz or faster CPU, any GFXcard with 32mb or more will do but preferably not built in (a Radeon92x0 will be easy on the wallet), 256Mb PC133 mem is plenty and fast enough, and a simple 40GB or more HD will do for loads of fun storage. What you save on this you can spend on a CatweaselMK3/4, Amiga keyboard and mods for the machine to make it feel more like the real thing. :)

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 10:47:49 PM »
Hum,
well i used to run winUae on a P2 400 with a geforce mx440 and it was usable.
So anything above that would be even better...

My suggestion is to opt for a chipset that will support a 400 FSB, just for the improved read speeds (if you upgrade the mem later on)...an old type ASROCK sx8 mobo will be less than 30 uk pounds.

A second hand geforce fx5200 graphics card will cost you £20 (i paid a £100 about a year ago...), a geforce mx440 will be about a tenner....

Save yourself some money and get the cheapest memory (256mb) and upgrade/trade-in to the faster stuff later on...

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:46:09 PM »

I'm actually trying winUAE on my old AMD k6-2/380 with 512mb and xp pro. it works fairly well although I beleive that it's really sluggish with the games.

By the way, I've used the K6-2/380MHz for years... It overclocks nicely to 400MHz without any heat issues. Win2k and XP bog that system down too much however, and I'd recommend using Win98 SE instead. Even replacing explorer with WinUAE as your shell.

I agree the upgrade is necessary for any serious UAE enthusiast, as even with everything running in its favor you'll still have some speed trouble.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Trooper

• Show only replies by Trooper
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 12:19:19 AM »
Do you mean replace the actual explorer.exe and run winuae.exe in its place, Just like win98lite, win2klite and winxplite does ?. Or do you mean run it the standard way, With explorer.exe still there running in the background sucking up resources.

Trooper
Rainbow Islands: \\"The game is sometimes called \\"Bubble Bobble 2\\". However, two other games --\\"Bubble Symphony: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2\\" and \\"Bubble Bobble 2\\"-- claim the same name. Rainbow Islands happens after Bubble Bobble. Bubble Symphon...

Offline AmigaEdTopic starter

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 04:08:26 AM »
Even replacing explorer with WinUAE as your shell.

Where can I find information about how to do this?

-AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline Trooper

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 04:37:27 AM »
I`m going to try it myself and see how it goes. Windows 98/98SE is probably the best to test it on.

Trooper
Rainbow Islands: \\"The game is sometimes called \\"Bubble Bobble 2\\". However, two other games --\\"Bubble Symphony: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2\\" and \\"Bubble Bobble 2\\"-- claim the same name. Rainbow Islands happens after Bubble Bobble. Bubble Symphon...

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 01:10:24 PM »
I tried it once with Windows ME, but personally didn't see much benefit (on a P3/600 with 128MB RAM). YMMV?

But it's a pain in the arse if you hope to do anything besides run WinUAE... Like back it up, for instance.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »

AmigaEd wrote:
Even replacing explorer with WinUAE as your shell.

Where can I find information about how to do this?

-AmigaEd

You can do this manually by changing the "shell" line in your system.ini file (shell=winuae.exe instead of shell=explorer.exe) under win9x and altering the "shell" register key @ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon under winNT4+.  The disadvantage is that you have to edit the system.ini eveytime you want to switch shells.  Which maybe less of a hassle if you intend to use WinUAE exclusively.

But if you see yourself needing to run Windows apps on a regular basis, you may want to look into something like ShellOn.  This program basically allows you to select which shell you want to 'boot'/log into.

There are other alternatives that do pretty much the same thing, but I just haven't been able to find them (yet).  I'll keep looking and add links as I find them.

[Edit]

If you're going to be using win2k/XP this guide explains how to set a seperate shell for each user.  You can also find links to two other shell managers (Carapace & Snafkin) in the opening paragraph.

Another alternative is  Shell Enabler.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline blobrana

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 06:28:25 PM »
@ShadesOfGrey

hum,

>>You can do this manually...

yeah, good suggestion, though i would personally have a duel booting machine - a tweaked win98SE and a winUAE OS...

(just, shove in the Windows cdrom and instead of overwriting the current os create a new `Windows2` folder to install the alternative boot onto...)

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 08:25:24 PM »

blobrana wrote:
@ShadesOfGrey

hum,

>>You can do this manually...

yeah, good suggestion, though i would personally have a duel booting machine - a tweaked win98SE and a winUAE OS...

(just, shove in the Windows cdrom and instead of overwriting the current os create a new `Windows2` folder to install the alternative boot onto...)

Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong, but is your impression that you would need two seperate installs of Windows in order to have one with Explorer and another for WinUAE as the shell?  Because that's not what I'm suggesting at all.  You can use just one install of your "tweaked win98SE" and 'switch' between using Explorer and WinUAE.  It's very much like the idea of multiple windows managers on the *nix platforms.  One install of the X Window System, but you have a choice between Motif, FVWM, Window Maker, Black Box, AmiWM, etc, etc. as your window manager.

If you use a shell manager like ShellOn, you can choose between Explorer and WinUAE as your shell from one win98 install.  In essence, ShellOn inserts itself as the default shell and then launches whatever other shell you want to use (i.e. BB4W, GeoShell, LiteStep or even WinUAE).  To use (something of) an Amiga analogy, ShellOn would be sort of like having a program that replaces "starwb" in your startup-sequnce.  When run it would prompt you to choose between Workbench, Directory Opus or Scalos as your GUI for a single AmigaOS install.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline Trooper

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »

Offline blobrana

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 10:46:10 PM »
@ShadesOfGrey

>>is your impression that you would need two separate installs of Windows..

Hum,
No.
Your pickable shell idea sounds, er, sound...

[color=ff00ff]< off topic >[/color]
But, on a slightly different note, given that HD space is fairly cheep, there is no reason not to have a fallback OS installed...infact, on my classic Amiga i have a 10mb partition set aside for a unmodified workbench, when i do something stupid with the main DHO:

I’m running xp pro (sp2), and even with it’s restore recovery features i still have a second OS to fall back on...i have learned, after losing too much data and time in the past, to take precautions... :-)
[color=ff00ff]< /off topic >[/color]

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 02:40:56 AM »
No no no... Ugh... Why would anyone use software to do what you can do with a simple text editor (ie: EDIT.COM) on the fly? Just create two shell= lines in win.ini and comment one of them out.

shell=x:\path\winuae\winuae.exe
;shell=c:\windows\explorer.exe

easy money.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -