Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winuae, Winxp, ASPI????  (Read 1669 times)

Description:

Offline jonssonjTopic starter

• Show only replies by jonssonj
Winuae, Winxp, ASPI????
« on: May 17, 2004, 09:45:32 AM »
Hello!

I'm trying to set up a winuae here on my pc computer at work. I have already been able to set up a 2GB hardfile and I've installed WB 3.1 correctly. But now I want to install OS3.9 instead. Now to my problem:

I select "UAEscsi.device" and "Use ASPI SCSI layer" and "Create log file" under the Misc tab.

When I read the winuaelog.txt just to know my unit number of my CD-ROM, the log file says this:

ASPI: open_driver EB00 HostASPIStatus=0xeb HACount=0x0
ASPI: Could not find any host adapters, ASPIStatus == 0xEB
support_scsi = 0 support_ioctl = 0
reset at 0

I think that my installation of ASPI is incorrect. Where can I find a complete installation package of ASPI for my pc computer and WinXP?

/Jörgen

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
Re: Winuae, Winxp, ASPI????
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 09:59:59 AM »
For your PC's main (Primary) CD/DVD drive, use the following:

cd.device = UAEscsi.device
Unit = 0

(This is because in the last few releases of WinUAE, the Unit number of the PC's main CD/DVD drive is 0 by default, there is no need to create a log file anymore to find out this information)

In WinUAE, ensure that "UAEscsi.device" is ticked, but there is no need to tick "Use ASPI SCSI layer" with Windows XP.

Steve.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 10:09:41 AM »
Do not enable "Use ASPI SCSI layer". If you don't want to use a SCSI scanner or such in WinUAE, there is no need for it.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 09:38:41 AM »
Hello again!

For some reason WinUAE refuses to find my pc:s cd-rom drive. I still get the same message if I don't enable aspi scsi layer.

reset at 0

*Sigh* I don't have any luck with amiga computers/emulators... :)

/Jörgen

Offline StevenJGore

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 09:55:50 AM »
The problem might not be on the PC/Windows side...

On the Amiga side, what CD filesystem are you using in Workbench/AmigaOS?

Also, which ROM version are you using in WinUAE, and with which version of Workbench?

Try a 3.1 ROM with either Workbench 3.1, 3.5, or 3.9, and try using the CacheCDFS CD filesystem which comes on the OS3.5 and OS3.9 installation CD's. As alternatives, there are also AmiCDFS and AsimCDFS on Aminet.

Steve.

Offline StevenJGore

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:05:11 AM »
Oops, I just re-read your original post and realised that you're trying to install OS3.9 from CD. To do this, either:

Mount the OS3.9 CD as a hard drive directory in WinUAE, and install from hard disk. Install CacheCDFS from the OS3.9 CD in the same way.

or:

Use a CD32 3.1 ROM and extended rom, and Workbench 3.1 will automatically have CD support! (Don't tick UAEscsi.device though!)

Steve.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 12:40:10 PM »

jonssonj wrote:
Hello again!

For some reason WinUAE refuses to find my pc:s cd-rom drive. I still get the same message if I don't enable aspi scsi layer.

reset at 0

*Sigh* I don't have any luck with amiga computers/emulators... :)

/Jörgen

Do you have administrator rights ? For accesing the CD-ROM drive the Windows user needs administrator rights.

@StevenJGore: it does not matter which CD driver is installed on AmigaOS. If WinUAE does not have access to the CD-ROM, AmigaOS won't either.

Certainly it is possible to install OS3.9 from the CD mounted as HDD, but it will have all restrictions a Windows drive has. Additionally, depending on the series of the OS3.9 CD, all file names will appear to be upper case, making the installation completely unusable. Also file attributes will be totally wrong (all files write protected and pure and script bits missing).

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 12:54:20 PM »
Hello again!

Ok, now I have reinstalled my pc with windows xp and I have updated windows xp with all the updates from windows update. Nothing else is installed on the machine. I have given myself administrator rights on the machine.

I installed the latest winuae (0.8.26) or whatever it is called. I created a new configuration and I'm using the 3.1 rom. I tick the uaescsi.device and createlog checkboxes. Now I get this error message:

ASPI: failed to load wnaspi32.dll

According to the readme file that comes with winuae, it should be enough with the administrator rights when using winxp, but why does winuae complains about missing aspi drivers then?

Thanks in advance for all help in this matter...

/Jörgen

Offline StevenJGore

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 01:36:56 PM »
You could try either of these ASPI packages:

Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2 for Windows XP [78KB]

NERO ASPI for Windows NT4/2000/XP [110KB]

I'd recommend trying the Nero ASPI package first.

But in theory, if you have Admin rights in Windows XP it shouldn't be necessary! :-?

Steve.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 07:27:31 PM »

@jonssonj: Here is what the author of WinUAE says: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13650

Bye,
Thomas