Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Forever File Transfer  (Read 1223 times)

Description:

Offline werthers93Topic starter

• Show only replies by werthers93
Amiga Forever File Transfer
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:39:57 AM »

I've got Amiga Forever set up and running (albeit very slowly) across a serial cable to my pc. Which is the best tool to transfer games across to my Amiga.

My first few attempts at transferring ADF's across failed as I could only see them from the PC explorer side.

anyone help?    :-?

Re: Amiga Forever File Transfer
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:41:39 AM »

sorry i meant which is the best tool as a question, not a statement!!

Offline mrescher

• Show only replies by mrescher
    • http://www.nextstudio.net
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:51:38 AM »
#1 I assume you have your serial connection correct...

#2 the easiest way using Amiga Explorer is if you put a blank disk in the drive and drag the ADF to that instead of the hard drive (which it sounds like you've done)

If you're not using amiga explorer you will need to investigate some ADF writing software which is included somewhere in Amiga Forever.  let me know if you can't find this

On the amiga go to the folder you put the .adf and right click the workbench title and select Window -> Show -> All Files to see that ADF

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:47:20 AM »

Thanks. Working fine from the floppy disk. How do I go about installing them to run from the hard disk, is it possible with ADF's?

Offline CaptChaos

• Show only replies by CaptChaos
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 01:28:07 AM »
depending on how much ram you have you can mount dos adf images... never done it... not enough ram :(

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 02:11:09 AM »
As far as I know, if you want to install them onto your HD, you'll have to transfer the ADF files to the Amiga (onto disk) and install them using WHDLoad or JST (unless the game has its own installer).  Don't know if you can use WHDLoad or JST with mounted ADFs  :-?

One way I've been able to do it with relative success is run WinUAE and install games onto a Virtual HD with WHDLoad using the ADF files, then just send the whole folder across to my real Amiga via Amiga Explorer.  A lot less effort required than putting them all on disks, especially since I've only got a couple of blanks.

Bear in mind, though, that you'll need to use ADFs of ORIGINAL disks, not cracked ones as WHDLoad or JST don't work with cracked versions.  If you've got only cracked versions, I'd say you're out of luck.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 09:08:58 PM »
I can confirm that, it works nicely :-)

Most WHDLoad installers expect to find the floppy in DF0, so installing from an ADF on the Amiga would need the ADF mounting as that (dunno if you can do that?).

Most ADFs on Back2Roots are cracked versions that won't work with WHDLoad installers.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury