Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best CDFS for WinUAE?  (Read 1895 times)

Description:

Offline WibblyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Wibbly
Best CDFS for WinUAE?
« on: August 23, 2004, 11:08:49 PM »
Ok, on my WinUAE directory 3.1 Install, everything is pretty good, except after putting AmiCDFS on it, it seemed to work ok initially, and then popped. When I first installed it, if I put a CD in, it popped up on the workbench, if I removed it, it disappeared. Now it only appears if a disc is in the drive when I boot UAE. If I remove the disc it remains on the workbench. If I try and play CD audio for MUICD it just tells me there is no disc.

I've started a whole new clean install of 3.1 on a disk file. Before I find myself with the same problem, I just wanted to know which CDFS everyone else uses.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Best CDFS for WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 11:48:44 PM »
hI Wibbly,
In the preferences of Winuae (under Misc) have you ticked on the UAEscsi.device tab?

i just use CDFileSystem that comes with os3.9 (but i have CACHECDFS and AmiCDFS installed as well)

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 12:21:04 AM »
Hi blob,
Indeed I do have the UAEscsi.device tab ticked. As I said, it worked perfectly initially, but for some reason died a death shortly afterwards. I got a friend to put across my CacheCDFS install disk (from my real Amiga) for me and mail it to me, and the FindCD program does indeed show both my CDRW and DVD drives. However, he missed some files it would seem, because the installer falls over when trying to install.

Hence I'm looking for whatever works best under WinUAE. I don't have OS3.9, I've never had need of it. My old 1200 ran just fine with 3.1 and CacheCDFS. Only since I decided I wanted to listen to CDDA in WinUAE have I needed a CDFS (previously, I just mounted the CD drives as harddrives through WinUAE)

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 07:19:17 AM »

AmiCDFS is as good as any other. There are some parameters in the mount file which you should adjust for proper work.

http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/uaescsi.html

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 12:48:25 AM »
Thanks Thomas. I'm using AmiCDFS. All seems to go nasty after installing MUICD. Not sure why, as far as I can see MUICD doesn't install anything to alter the drivers.

Anyway, I've jiggled things around, and can get CD's to appear on insertion, and disappear when ejected. However, all the filenames are truncated to 8 characters plus a 3 character extension.  :-?

Even WindowsXP sees the full names without issue on the CD.
On top of this, I can't get a single CD utility to play CDs, or even recognise the drive, even though it is recognised during setup procedures.

One time, even my DVD drive showed up on the workbench. I'm not fussed for that, I'm not looking to play DVDs, but it would be cool to use the CDRW, if nothing else just as a standard CD Rom

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 04:01:34 AM »
Hum,
MUICD uses it`s own library in
CDPlayers-atapiplay.library

i tried MUICD and it just doesn't like my setup at all!
There’s a cd config setup utility  included that just gurus my winuae.

Ended up setting it by hand...
unit=2
device=uaescsi.device

In my playCD utility my tooltypes are:

DOSDEV=CD0
device=scsi.device
unit=2

And it is fine, just slip in a disk and play...

-----------------------------------
my advice is to have a look around Aminet for another cdplayer (though the mui interface is good, but, there are loads more to choose from)

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:23:01 PM »
Ok, found my thinking cap and sorted it out. I'd been using an older WinUAE, 'cos I was getting strange input behaviour on 0991, but whilst trying to sort the CDFS issue, I came accross summat that said about 0991 ... "May need to jiggle CPU Idle time".... so I just set it halfway, and it's megafast, and input doesn't screw up, and everything plays tickety boo, and I danced naked into the night...

Thanks for your input though guys

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 05:10:02 PM »
In the hope a few people might still view this, and save me starting a new thread, what is the exact specification for the majority of Amiga CDs?

I've just burned a CD, and when I examine it in Windows it shows that indeed I have Joliet enabled (although on Nero Express I can't find an option to select what format I wish to write the disc) and when I view the files in WinXP Pro, all the filenames are correct.

However, on the Amiga WinUAE side of things, everything is 8.3 format. What burner should I get, and exactly what format should I be backing up my Amiga files with in order that the Amiga sees the full name?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 12:33:33 PM »

You need to use CacheCDFS or AsimCDFS for Joliet support. AmiCDFS only supports standard ISO9660 CDs.

In Nero Express you have to switch to Nero in order to change options. Choose ISO9660 level 2 to get 32 character file names all upper case.

To write proper Amiga CDs (which are also readable by Windows), you should install an Amiga writing program on WinUAE.

http://makecd.core.de/
http://www.titancomputer.de/burnit/

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 11:40:10 AM »
Yup, I can confirm this - MakeCD 3.2 works perfectly under WinUAE :-)
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury