Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wii Amiga Forever  (Read 2834 times)

Description:

Offline recidivistTopic starter

• Show only replies by recidivist
Wii Amiga Forever
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »
I have gone Wiild  at the price drop;and internet search reveals Cloanto plans Amiga Forever for "my" new toy!Yes,I did buy one.

Since the Wii is PPC based  couldn't a more direct port of Amiga(like) OS be done?
Of 50 million Wii owners there surely are quite a few classic computerists.
 Perhaps MorphOS ,Hyperion,and Linux PPC people should be looking at this?
I did search the site  for "Wii" and got no returns,apologies if this subject has been covered.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Wii Amiga Forever
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »
Im guessing wont be too much of a stretch there is already PPC versions of UAE out there.  So dont quite get the post.

If you are talking about OS4 on GameCube or Wii its been discussed to death , search under louisdias posts (Sorry if I got username wrong)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Louis Dias

Wii Amiga Forever
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »
There is a port of UAE and another Amiga emulator for the Wii.
Someone should start a bounty for an AROS port.
Rogue has stated that the Wii is capable of running OS4...

But since you bought a new Wii, it is not soft-moddable currently...I think.  Perhaps through the IndianaPWNS exploit it might be though.  Whatever you do, do not upgrade to System Menu 4.2 as that removes homebrew.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;524331
Perhaps through the IndianaPWNS exploit it might be though.  Whatever you do, do not upgrade to System Menu 4.2 as that removes homebrew.

Indiana Pwns works on system 4.2, as does stack smash. Bannerbomb has been disabled, but the Bannerbomb author says the fix is, and i quote "retarded", and a new version will be out shortly.

The Homebrew Channel team say a new installer will be released shortly.

So, don't upgrade to 4.2, but if you already have, or buy a new Wii with 4.2, all is not lost.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »
I get he whole modding concept, but if Clonto is making a suite of Amiga Forever for it, won't that shift into the unmodded areas as a legit program?  I can't see a company advertising a product for a hacked system...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Louis Dias

Wii Amiga Forever
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »
I'm suprised it wouldn't be Virtual Console stuff...

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
I'm suprised it wouldn't be Virtual Console stuff...

Really, I imagine it probably would be.  Much like Apple, I can't see Nintendo being too keen on allowing a complete emulator of any kind to be officially released for the Wii.  But, I could easily see where Cloanto's license to distribute Amiga classic ROMs would come in very handy to bringing a few 'single title emulator' Amiga games to Wii as Virtual Console releases.

And as for UAE on a hacked Wii, it's been out for a while, and it's not bad.  Though, ironically enough, I couldn't get it to use a Cloanto ROM, only a certain popular pirated one worked.  :/

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
Quote from: Ilwrath;524357
And as for UAE on a hacked Wii, it's been out for a while, and it's not bad.  Though, ironically enough, I couldn't get it to use a Cloanto ROM, only a certain popular pirated one worked.  :/

Theres still loads to do with UAEWii (I have some ideas on increasing the speed further). I have'nt had chance to talk to simon or start work on it again. Trying to work on 2 projects at once, may have been a mistake. Too late to complain about it now, I spose, :).

Ill look at getting cloanto roms working.

On a side note, have you got a HDF to work yet?
Really need an option in menu to select HDF's. Save people editing the config file all the time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:46:37 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;524385
On a side note, have you got a HDF to work yet?
Really need an option in menu to select HDF's. Save people editing the config file all the time.

I hadn't tried a HDF, yet.  I only ran 1.3 ROMs and a few games on it.

Honestly, I'm probably a few updates behind current on WiiUAE, too.  The last time I updated anything on the Wii was performing a 'Safe' upgrade to System Menu 4.0U shortly after that first came out back in the spring.

It's been a busy past few months.   The only times it's been on is if my wife is using Wii Internet Channel for browsing icanhascheezeburger with her friend, or I'm sneaking in a round of Tetris Party.