Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition  (Read 8755 times)

Description:

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
Re: The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;541717
The problem is: Prizes. While the contests are fresh news that's fine. But having one contest every two months makes me think that maybe it would became tough getting 6 Amiga 1200 every year...

People are doing this for the prizes..?
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »
I must agree both with rockersuke and skurk.
- Comparing MSX with Amiga is simple impossible. Amiga is so much powerfull that you can create very nice and addictive games using Game Creation Tools. Nevertheless, it's much more powerfull hardware would require much more human effort to build extremely tweaked ASM routines. Hobbysts like us, can only code on the famous 3am coding sessions.
- BTW, most of the game contests on the MSX are related to the MSX1 platform. Few games for the MSX Turbo-R which is a 16 bit computer, and I bet none of those tweaked it even close to it's limits.

And finally skurk, you're right. No one is probably doing this for the money. I would do it for personal satisfaction of winning a contest. IF I ever remember how to code in 68k asm...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline ikaruga

• Show only replies by ikaruga
    • http://www.thunder-works.com
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;541961
I must agree both with rockersuke and skurk.
- Comparing MSX with Amiga is simple impossible. Amiga is so much powerfull that you can create very nice and addictive games using Game Creation Tools. Nevertheless, it's much more powerfull hardware would require much more human effort to build extremely tweaked ASM routines. Hobbysts like us, can only code on the famous 3am coding sessions.
- BTW, most of the game contests on the MSX are related to the MSX1 platform. Few games for the MSX Turbo-R which is a 16 bit computer, and I bet none of those tweaked it even close to it's limits.

Speaking about MSX and Amiga (my 2 favourite systems ever),  it was worth remembering the MSX Eggerland Mystery remake for the Amiga which fortunately have source code and prototype released recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWv_ErSndw

More MSX to Amiga remakes/ports would be fun, some ideas:
- Road Fighter (Konami)
- Goonies (Konami)
- Knightmare (Konami)
- Gradius / Nemesis (Konami)
- Metal Gear (Konami. The original legend that spawned the franchise, big project however)

Twin Bee (also Konami) was re-done in a nice way for Amiga as Gunbee F-99.
A1200/68060@50/32MB/AGA

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:17:46 AM »
Is anyone interested in entering or are you all unhappy with the rules?
There seems to be a lot less interest in this competition than the last one, and I have a feeling it's because no one is happy with the way I'm running it, so I don't know if I should just give up. I don't want to, I never want to give up on the Amiga.

I never expected trying to organize some fun in the Amiga community would make me so depressed.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline rednova

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:30:43 AM »
Dear Cammy :

I would love to participate in the new amiga game competition. ACtually I already started coding my game in Amospro, a sequel to my free aminet rpg 'wizard of the orb (wiz.lha).
I spent almost 3 hours into coding...
The only thing is I do not know is if my game will be ready for the deadline, if not I will just post it later.
Where else can I get to create a new amiga game and work for such a beautiful Gal ?
hehehe

Well, I look forward to make a new amiga game !!!

Rednova
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »
Hi Cammy,

I think having just finished one contest for making games on the Amiga we should let the deadline run on for a while.  Maybe make the next contest a game developers' toolkit contest so it isn't always the same people entering the contests over and over again.  Give bonus points for reusable code so that people can build game engines on top of the sprite editor that was designed as a BOOPSI gadget or something.  The Festive Game Making competition was good for a game competition, maybe someday there'll be one where I can enter and have it not be based on actual game play.  That will make future game contests that much better and more productive!

Don't get depressed on my account for not entering this contest, I'm just not in the mood to make games when my toolkits are still in the works.  I hope that things work out better next time.

Offline doble07

• Show only replies by doble07
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
Hi Cammy,

I will contribute with an m68k assembly game (MSX Konami's Remake)

Juan

Offline inoel

• Show only replies by inoel
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »
I will help you run the comp if you need help.
but don’t give up!

Offline rockersuke

• Show only replies by rockersuke
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 12:36:40 AM »
As I said somewhere else (can't remember wether it was here or at EAB), my only real trouble with this comp is I can't decide which game to try and make a remake of :-) I'm both happy with the rules and pretending to enter. Can't tell for sure if I'll make it... last time I didnĀ“'t ^_^'

Right now I'm considering which game to choose. I've got a last resort option. Remember the guy in my text adv was rushing to make an Amiga port of a game... ;-)  Meanwhile I'm planning the next parts of the adventure itself. I think I'll do some 2 or 3 more brief chapters which will make together the whole Christmas story and will eventually be finished for next Christmas (and hopefully waaay before). None of these would ever be happening without this comp. I guess that's not going to get Cammy out of her depression, but, well... just to let her know all the stress and effort are not totally in vain!

By the way, I took for granted that Underground Arcade was a collective, but now I see I could be definitively wrong! Is that right?

--

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;543224
Is anyone interested in entering or are you all unhappy with the rules?
There seems to be a lot less interest in this competition than the last one, and I have a feeling it's because no one is happy with the way I'm running it, so I don't know if I should just give up. I don't want to, I never want to give up on the Amiga.

I never expected trying to organize some fun in the Amiga community would make me so depressed.

}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »
That doesn't exactly make me want to hang around here anymore.

You should know that clinically diagnosed depression is very different to PMS. I'm not confused, I just can't tell if it's worth going to the trouble to organise these things, especially if you just treat it as a joke.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline tone007

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;543876

Yeah, that was kind of a dick post to make.

I think apologies are in order!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline divined

• Show only replies by divined
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 06:43:31 AM »
where can one find some resources & information to help getting started making a simple amiga game in c?
Amiga 500 1MB
Amiga 1200; Blizzard 1230 Mk IV 64MB + fpu; Gotek drive; Indivision MK2 AGA

Offline rockersuke

• Show only replies by rockersuke
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »
Quote from: divined;543932
where can one find some resources & information to help getting started making a simple amiga game in c?

The "Gamesmith Development System" was a commercial set of C libraries meant exactly to do that, and has been frequently suggested as a tool for entering Cammy's comps, but I don't know where to get it (other than amiga warez repositories) and wether its documentation is available anywhere ^_^'

--

Offline Moto

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
Quote from: rockersuke;543938
The "Gamesmith Development System" was a commercial set of C libraries meant exactly to do that, and has been frequently suggested as a tool for entering Cammy's comps, but I don't know where to get it (other than amiga warez repositories) and wether its documentation is available anywhere ^_^'

--

I'd be interested in this as well.  I only know hardware banging techniques and I'd really like to move into SAS/C and some libs like these.  I would even be willing to write some tutorials as I learn how things work.

Any info on GameSmith would be appreciated.
500, 1200, 4000T

Offline sim085

• Show only replies by sim085
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 19, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »
Hi, First of all these competitions are a great idea :) However, although I would like to contribute, I personally do not know from where to get the tools to write a small game for the amiga, nor how to actually use those tools after I get them. In a sense, I think SamuraiCrow idea is good because it would allow people like me to learn, and the more people know the more games there will be :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:54:21 PM by sim085 »