Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Ownership Resolution  (Read 11862 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Amiga.org Ownership Resolution
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 21, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;650827
How much money we talkin here?

What is Amiga.org worth?

[solemnly] Nothing.  [smiles] Everything!

Offline Orphan264

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 02:00:40 AM »
Having been part of the Amiga community for 20+ years I have learned the following:

If I owned Amiga.org or had any position of importance or influence in the Amiga community, I would also wish to remain anonymous. :-)

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:19 AM »
Quote from: billt;650919
Is the current ownership a problem of some kind requiring some sort of resolution?

I would LMFAO if it was Doomy.  :lol:

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:15 AM »
Who owns it doesn't matter, it is how it is run.  I like it as it is and it is the posters who make this place worth visiting.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:20 AM »
Regarding worth:  Oddly, in the fickle world of websites, your worth really only boils down to traffic and "eyes", at least at face value.  Every member here adds financial value to A.org, for it'd be just another dead niche without the users.  Same with every website, what it boils down to in the end is each head has a dollar value, and ad revenue can be a massive thing.  A.org sees a lot of traffic, and A.org has bills to pay to give us the service we've come to expect.

That being said, you can look at sites like digg.com, when they did their last "revision" to also demonstrate how quick the loyal users can "flip", heh.  All hell broke loose when they rolled out Digg v4, and they really had to back pedal to hang onto users, and honestly I think they lost a lot of ground to Reddit and such.  That was due to them ignoring user input, and I fear it effectively cinched the noose around digg's neck.

Warts and all, A.org is of great value because of the users that frequent here - yes, even the "Franko's" and guys like me that often come off as argumentative.  We're Amigans.  We're all a little dented in the head to be fiddling around with this old 7 mhz base hardware, when 3ghz PC's can be bought for $200.  :lol:  

That is what makes the community great, dedication and respect for this old Amiga stuff despite technology passing it all by 15 years ago, we still slug away at it.

I like A.org as it is now, and I've been on the 'net long enough to not be one of these old farts 2 years down the road whining about "the good old days" when changes are inevitable.  The "good old days" people generally speak of is a time when someone that currently annoys them was never on said forums years ago, heh.  Whining helps nothing, make some constructive suggestions!

My only gripe with the site is vBulletin itself - just something I have never liked, and never will - but there wasn't much option when it came to "crunch time" when the boys needed to modernize the site last go around.  Improvements to A.org, while in the hands of the "powers that be" at last call, are essentially governed by community interests and suggestions.  If the "Boss" makes wild changes that are hated, people do have elsewhere to go - and I solely follow A.org out of all the Amiga sites because I love the community here, and that includes the guys I often disagree with, like Dammy :)

My 2 bits, anyways.  Thought it was about time I said something constructive rather than just fuel flames in the C-USA threads.  There isn't a site on the 'net I get more enjoyment out of than A.org.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:27:42 AM by Duce »

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:09 AM »
Hi,

@Kesa,

Will you finally tell them who owns Amiga.org. Don't stay silent about it anymore, just admit that you know

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 02:52:35 AM »
Quote from: save2600;650969

Nah... if it was Doomy the site would have been up for sale on eBay, with the usual threat that if nobody buys it he's going to trash it... :)

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »
Quote from: Franko;650979
Nah... if it was Doomy the site would have been up for sale on eBay, with the usual threat that if nobody buys it he's going to trash it... :)

Damn, don't give the current owner any new ideas!

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 03:07:39 AM »
Hi,

@all who can read this (or know how to read)

@Kesa (we will not include you on this)

1.Would moving ownership from *** to you get us the following things?

Franko banned
CUSA drivel restricted to one thread (properly, not in a "opening threads for bashing them is fine" kind of way)
stricter moderation regarding personal attacks, sorry, I mean "humour"

2.How much money are we talking about?

3.Do you agree that the community should own what it pays for?

Ans:  Get Franko banned,  (we tried this he keeps sneaking back in some how, just
        deal with it).

Ans: On CUSA, (Wow, your attention to detail on this means you spend to much time
                      doing nothing,  solution: get yourself a life).

Ans: Strickter moderation  (You want to give the big K more power, I can barely live
                                      with it now).

Ans: money  (Yes, I know I have been lax lately, well maybe a little more than lately,
                   the kitty has been looking a little lean lately, so lets all feed  the kitty).

Ans: Community ownership (You bunch of loonies can't determine a direction for an
                                      obsolete, defunct, old but enjoyable computer, and your
                                      going to try to run a website, Franko, please take charge
                                      here, your the only one with a sense of direction on this
                                      matter).

Last words, I think amiga.org is doing just fine,  thanks to transition, Pyromania, Karlos and Argo. (If forgot anyone well just suck it up, for FOAD (off and die).

and

Just remember if it wasn't for Karlos I wouldn't even be here.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 03:19:49 AM »
Quote from: smerf;650983
Ans: money  (Yes, I know I have been lax lately, well maybe a little more than lately,
                   the kitty has been looking a little lean lately, so lets all feed  the kitty).

I "fed the kitty" over a month ago and my status has never changed.  I did get an email from Wayne here at AO stating it needed to clear PayPal and then.... nothing.  I assume Wayne booked himself a holiday using my payment and will never be seen again.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 04:05:04 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;650984
I "fed the kitty" over a month ago and my status has never changed.  I did get an email from Wayne here at AO stating it needed to clear PayPal and then.... nothing.  I assume Wayne booked himself a holiday using my payment and will never be seen again.

What changed? :confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 04:11:46 AM »
What i would like to see is a reimplementation of A.org into a modern forum site as i definitely feel it's showing it's age. I have been over to Whyzatt? and it looks amazing. Wayne should be commended for building such a nice site. We should do the same for Amiga.org. I know this is probably unrealistic but i definitely feel a better quality website will increase user satisfaction which will attract new users and keep the current ones happier,  etc.  

@Smerf. Stop picking on me!
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:46 AM »
I LOVE it here and can't really think of anyone I don't get along with here!

I don't make much but would contribute what I can as I have done before on various bounties be they Amiga related or DOOM related...

...speaking of which, I don't think I've ever donated to this site and should do so soon.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 04:13:26 AM »
I have no complaints on how it's run.  Seems to me the present setup is working fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:45 AM »
Video about the current Amiga.org site owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQk0WawDlo
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline mfletcher

• Show only replies by mfletcher
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:16 AM »
Quote from: save2600;650969

Heres what would happen

Doomy would announce "Amiga.org" members club. For $99.95 a year you will get milspec hardware delivered to your door once a year.

Whole bunch of saps sign up.

Doomy relocates to Hawaii.

Bunch of saps get butthurt when their promised hardware doesnt arrive.

Doomy blames USPS.

The end.