Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with my Amiga 4000's CD drive and Xsurf  (Read 950 times)

Description:

Offline milesunderTopic starter

• Show only replies by milesunder
Help with my Amiga 4000's CD drive and Xsurf
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:15:22 PM »
Hi All

I wonder if any of you can help.

I have a Amiga 4000 040 25mhz Desktop which I purchased about 18months ago. It didn't come with any manuals or disks so I am trying to get everything working.  The machine came with a Xsurf Network card and a Catweasel Z-II S class.  I am trying to install OS3.9 but I am having nothing but trouble trying to get all the devices to work including the CD-Rom.  I am quite proficent with PC's but don't have a clue when it comes to Amigas!!!

Does the IDE conector support 2 IDE devices i.e Hard Disk and CD Rom?  I have them set to master and slave I believe (although I did put the HD in about a year ago and I haven't checked it to be sure), and it doesn't seem to reconise the device :-? (Is it PnP or is there some configs I need to make?).
I also have a catweasel Z-II S class and whenever I plug this in the Amiga dosen't boot up at all it just flashes different colours. I was hoping to use this for the CD-Rom drive.

I am also havingtrouble setting up and installing the X-surf.  I have downloaded "xsurf.lha" from individual's website but I don't think this is the complete installation package.

Any help or advice is gratefully received.

Regards

Lee

Offline TjLaZer

Re: Help with my Amiga 4000's CD drive and Xsurf
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:49:10 PM »
You need to mount the CD-ROM before you can install OS3.9 from CD (I think you knew that already lol)  So your next step is to use your Mad PC skillz to setup the HD and CD as Master and Slave, then install IDEFix 97 and mount the CD-ROM as device CD0: (It will be unit 1)  This program is a demo but that is ok since OS 3.9 has it's own driver once it's loaded.  So first things first: install OS 3.1 (if you don't already have it installed, get it on disks), then IDE Fix, after CD works install 3.9.  Have fun.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Michael_D

• Show only replies by Michael_D
Re: Help with my Amiga 4000's CD drive and Xsurf
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 07:12:50 PM »
Hi,

to activate the IDE-ports you need http://siliconsonic.de/t/bin/xsurfide.lha .
And a CD-Rom FileSystem like ftp://de.aminet.net/pub/aminet/disk/cdrom/amicdfs240.lha
to mount the CD-drive.
3,5" should be "2nd.scsi.device" Unit 0 (Master) and 1 (Slave)
2,5" should be "2nd.scsi.device" Unit 2 (Master) and 3 (Slave)

Both Ports support harddrives, ZIPs or CD-drives.
But no CD-Writers.
They are only bootable if the driver was loded from disk and made resident in memory.