Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting AROS Vision to run in Win-UAE  (Read 6562 times)

Description:

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
Re: Getting AROS Vision to run in Win-UAE
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
Have located AROS rom and ext  in Boot but when I choose these roms it doesn't boot!:confused:

I was under the impression that the AROS rom was a replacement for the Amiga rom and that AROS Vision is a combination of Wanderer etc. and is is a replacement for Workbench (and the rom didn't matter too much?).

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
Quote from: Havie;770440
Have located AROS rom and ext  in Boot but when I choose these roms it doesn't boot!:confused:

I was under the impression that the AROS rom was a replacement for the Amiga rom and that AROS Vision is a combination of Wanderer etc. and is is a replacement for Workbench (and the rom didn't matter too much?).

Aros Vision uses Magellan as desktop (not Wanderer). It needs the rom replacements to work properly. It is replacing Workbench but you cannot simply f.e. install wanderer on 3.1. and use it instead of Workbench. You can (in many cases) use 68k components on Aros 68k though.

You say it does not boot? What exactly happens? Have you deleted screenmode.prefs already? The problem with screenmode happens if you install it on a netbook/notebook with low resolutions

I use Winuae 2.6.1. Which version do you use?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:15:54 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline Havie

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
Have tried deleting screenmode prefs but makes no difference, just hangs on a blank screen.

I am using the same version of WinUAE and running it on a Core2Duo desktop with 4gb of memory.

Any other suggestions?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »
I have pm you a link to my working uae config file. Theoretically you can use it and must only adapt paths (including paths to roms) and perhaps graphic and sound drivers

Offline Havie

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
That's great thank you .  Am out and about at the moment back will have a look later.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
@Havie

i dont know what are you doing there. either you want to boot to aros, then follow my instructions, or you want to boot to anything you happen to boot then continue as previous..

@olaf
i would download the distribution just to check, but cant find the damn link, the page is a nightmare.. google points me here:
http://www.natami-news.de/html/distribution_download.html
and when i copy the link i am again by google which points me back to where i was..
its like kafka.. i hve asked so many times to fix this and have a straight clear front download page.. im to tired to repeat this..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
i went to amiga-news.de news page
http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2014-08-00013-DE.html
which pointed me to that broken download page again
and then noticed a small link down the news item
http://www.aros-platform.de/downloads/Aros_Vision.zip

downloading now...

is there a reason it must be hidden and only accessible via third party links????

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;770449
i went to amiga-news.de news page
http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2014-08-00013-DE.html
which pointed me to that broken download page again
and then noticed a small link down the news item
http://www.aros-platform.de/downloads/Aros_Vision.zip

downloading now...

is there a reason it must be hidden and only accessible via third party links????

Yes... there was someone claiming that I spread a trojan that installs when someone clicks on the link. I do not believe that at all but to avoid any claims of that sort again I removed any direct link. There is a link from main page to download page but not a direct download link.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
i dont understand this, you provide a download but dont want to link to it to avoid responsibility? i dont get how this is gonna work..

back on subject, aros vision startup-sequence contains this first line:
boot/AROSBootstrap ROM boot/aros.hunk.gz  

this explains why aros vision boots from 3.1 roms without modifications, thats fine, but

aros.hunk.gz in boot subdir is 538.289 big and from 21.06, while
aros.hunk.gz in boot/amiga subdir (where nightly roms are currently stored) is 538.337 big and from 07.07

any reason aros vision while soft booting references these old roms?

id suggest to remove all files from the boot directory except for subdirs, and change scripts to point to currently standard boot/amiga dir.

Offline Havie

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
Thanks for the config file Olaf - it works!  Doesn't like too much memory though so will need some tweaking and certainly isn't working with the setting as suggested from the download page.

Have realised that if I want to use it as a Blitz development environment then RTG is out so having to run at PAL highres.  Laced produces unreadable text so runnning hires laced is out at the moment.

Did compile and run my version of Flappy Bird so happy enough.

Thanks for all your help and I think I'm going to enjoy getting used to AROS although I don't think I'm brave enough to try it on my real 030 1200 - yet!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »
highres laced should be perfectly readable on uae. it does not even flicker.

Offline Havie

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;770469
highres laced should be perfectly readable on uae. it does not even flicker.
Works for other hd setups I have but for some reason on the AROS one it is unreadable. If you would like, I could post a screen shot?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:40:00 PM by Havie »

Offline Havie

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
Sorry - being thick. It wasn't highres interlace that was the problem but superhires interlace!  Realised that I needed to turn on superhires option in WinUAE and now all clear. Can obviously run in 256 colours no problem. Much better screen space for programming.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
yes, please.

Offline StarrunnerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Starrunner
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »
I got as far as it loading to a CLI screen, but it goes no farther than that.  I double checked everything and as far as I can tell I set it up as close as I can get to the instructions I had found.  I am on an Athlon 64 @ 2.0GHz, and WinUAE 2.8.1.  Thanks for the replies so far gang, and as always, suggestions/help/locations for looney bins appreciated.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 06, 2014, 10:57:11 PM »
Quote from: Starrunner;770490
I got as far as it loading to a CLI screen, but it goes no farther than that.  I double checked everything and as far as I can tell I set it up as close as I can get to the instructions I had found.  I am on an Athlon 64 @ 2.0GHz, and WinUAE 2.8.1.  Thanks for the replies so far gang, and as always, suggestions/help/locations for looney bins appreciated.

I have send you the link to my config-file (PM). When you adapt the paths and graphic card/sound card it should work. I use 2.6.1 but I think 2.8 works too