Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need a refresher: HD/partition limits under OS2.1  (Read 1274 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Need a refresher: HD/partition limits under OS2.1
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:03:28 AM »
I'm using a 4GB SD card via SCSI2SD on gvpscsi.device v4.5.
HDToolbox chokes on reading the drive geometry so I ended up prepping the RDB on an OS4 system.
Back on the OS2.1 A500, my 250MB and 100MB partitions are mounting properly, but my 2047MB partition isn't. I didn't put a partition in the remaining space.

I thought I was correctly within the size limits for everything but maybe I'm not?

Also, this machine will dual-boot into OS1.3. Do I need to account for any size limitations there? And can OS1.3 handle FFS Intl (DOS\03) if it's loaded into the RDB? Or do I need to stick to DOS\01?

Thanks

Online Thomas

Re: Need a refresher: HD/partition limits under OS2.1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »

From what I read the SCSI2SD needs to be configured for the correct SD card size. The default is 2GB. This would explain why the partition which crosses the limit is not mounted.

gvpscsi and FFS shouldn't have any limits except the usual 4GB.

FFS of WB 3.1 works on Kick 1.3, so yes, you can use DOS\3. But you get an additional ghost icon for each partition.

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Re: Need a refresher: HD/partition limits under OS2.1
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:47:56 PM »
Thanks, Thomas. Was hoping to get your expert input. :)

SCSI2SD was configured correctly to identify the card as 4GB. I redid the partition layout on the OS2.1 system using the HDToolbox from 3.1 and now things seem okay. I dropped the 2047MB partition down to 2000MB. Wasn't there something about a 2GB partition limit on older systems? Or is that an AmigaDOS thing as opposed to a filesystem issue?