Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does the term VMWare ring a bell?  (Read 4241 times)

Description:

Offline gizz72Topic starter

• Show only replies by gizz72
Re: Does the term VMWare ring a bell?
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 11, 2004, 01:14:40 AM »
@Sparky
 I mean mirroring where one real and the other  running under VM as data center, whereby the 'real' one fails.

Likewise, you've answered the question, just cut and paste. Thanks. :-)
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Sethy

• Show only replies by Sethy
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 01:28:10 AM »
VMWare is faster then UAE because VMWware doesn't have to emulate an entire processor architecture. In theory, VMWare doesn't have to emulate enything, just simulate a normal x86 computer. This also explains why VMWare wont run MacOS or anything else that doesn't belong on the x86 architecture. UAE on the other hand, does emulate stuff. It maps M68k processor calls to whatever processor it's running on. It's also far more tricky regarding access to local system resources because of all this emulation.

As for VMWare making a nice disaster recory solution, I agree.  Also, when given limited resources, it also makes a nice solution for shared hosting. Just dump a cheapo Linux distro on a good machine, run VMWare on it with and give people full Administrator/root/whatever access to their own virtual PC. If they mess up, worst that might happen is their virtual PC kicking the virtual bucket.

Offline gizz72Topic starter

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 02:03:53 AM »
@Sethy
True, one good example is PearPC. Very slow x86 emulation.

Are there not PPC native versions of VMWares too? If so Why not try MacOS there as well? Could still run natively. In theory. Unless I'm wrong. ;-)

Sorry: Very slow x86 emulation of PPC.
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 02:06:18 AM »

gizz72 wrote:
@Sparky
 I mean mirroring where one real and the other  running under VM as data center, whereby the 'real' one fails.

Likewise, you've answered the question, just cut and paste. Thanks. :-)

Ahhh.  In which case it would be the job of the OS and/or application software to handle the failover.  The OS could handle the mirroring of the data as well or you could reply on the backend storage hardware to do synchronous copy to another storage system be it SAN or NAS.  No big deal really just need to make sure the supporting infrastructure is up to scratch .. for enterprise level stuff it's not worth skimping on money, get as good as you can afford and get the best support you can afford as well.

Regards.