Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can't view site using Mozilla Firebird  (Read 2067 times)

Description:

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Can't view site using Mozilla Firebird
« on: February 23, 2004, 02:22:41 AM »
I guess I might be doing something stupid, but I can get to the the forums page, but as soon as I try and go to a forum, I get this:

Server Error
The following error occurred:

The HTTP request is too long. Contact your system administrator. (HTTP_REQUEST_TOO_LONG)

So I've had to surf tonight using IE (I know, if only I used my Amiga to surf the net). I didn't have this problem a couple of days ago... any ideas?
I like Amigas

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Can't view site using Mozilla Firebird
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 03:17:43 AM »
Hmm... Hate to say "it works for me."  But, well, it does.  I'm using it right now.

What version are you trying to run?

I'm on Win32/x86 Mozilla Firefox release version 0.8

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 03:32:45 AM »
Gotta say it works fine here too. Since you're still using Firebird, I'd say take this opportunity to remove Firebird and its settings from your drive (don't forget to backup your bookmarks.html file), then download the new FireFox distribution. (It has its own handy installer now...)

Maybe something got screwed in the browser settings, perhaps even your cookies?

I've tested Firebird 0.7 and Firefox 0.8 trying to bring up forums, they work just fine here.

Offline helix

• Show only replies by helix
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 03:48:00 AM »
Suse 9.0 and Firebird 0.7 looks fine to me

Offline Kent

• Show only replies by Kent
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=87
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 03:51:53 AM »
From the sound of it, you posted a "GET" method with a line longer than 255 characters.  I'll see if I can reproduce this problem with Firebird 0.7 and Firefox 0.8.  Not sure what page you were on and what link you clicked, but it's a server error.  Usually those are problems on the server end rather than on the client end and changing browsers shouldn't solve the problem.

:pint:
I love the modern age world of this middle age crises America... all these SUVs driving around like there\\\'s gas to spare and then some.

http://www.RequestFocus.com

W. Kent Seaton ~ RequestFocus.com

Offline vpamicue

• Show only replies by vpamicue
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 04:32:33 AM »
I am viewing no problems Mandrake 9.2 with FireFox .8. Replacment for Firebird that was a copyright violation. HMMM Mandrake will be changing to for same reason.
VP AMICUE
Amiga Computer Users of Edmonton
\\"Your Amiga Source in Northern Alberta\\"

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 09:24:11 AM »
I also have problems with the "new" amiga.org site: on Netscape (which is the only browser really available on
the sun machines here, although it is dead slow on tables), I only get a blank page for the main index page.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:27:42 AM »
Win2k, Firefox, works fine for me.  Maybe a server burp?

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks for your replies...

Doh! I really was tired last night, sorry guys. Firebird works fine, its Mozilla 1.6 that I was, and still am, having problems with - I decided to give standard Mozilla a go for a couple of months, as I'm yet to settle on a browser I like.

Anyway, I've tried pasting the URL of an AOrg forum page into Mozilla - still the same error. Might try installing a different flavour of Mozilla today, then I won't have to browse the site using IE... Strange though, because in the week or so since I switched from Firebird, I've had no other problems and have been browsing and posting on the site fine...

I'm still intrigued by the error...is it telling me that the URL is too long? And if so, why don't I have the same error with other browsers?

Ok, it's maybe not that important, and I could just use a different browser, but I'm intrigued now as to what's causing it.

Cheers
I like Amigas

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 10:56:42 AM »
Try recreating your Mozilla profile.  Mozilla and Firefox's rendering capabilities are identical.

I've had Mozilla and Firefox's profiles go up the creek a few times, when I get (eg. ) strange errors like 404 when it blatantly isn't.

I think it's something up the creek with the caching implementation.  If both pieces of software are left on their default settings, I haven't had the problem since.