Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I have a 2000 with battery damage, I removed a capacitor... help  (Read 1399 times)

Description:

Offline VstechTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vstech
I have the rev. 6 board, and it is the capacitor beside the battery in position c912
I also removed the cpu socket, and the strip capacitors, so any help finding a source for those would help also.

guest7146

Re: I have a 2000 with battery damage, I removed a capacitor... help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »
I have the rev. 6 board, and it is the capacitor beside the battery in position c912

You don't say what help you need.  Do you need to replace this capacitor? If yes, all the information you need is written on the side of the capacitor itself.  You need to source a replacement through-hole electrolytic capacitor with the same capacitance (470uF?) and the same voltage rating.  You can go higher with the voltage rating but don't go lower.  Also, if you're anything like me, you will want the same physical size capacitor to make the repair as inconspicuous as possible - although a battery leakage may have put pay to that idea, depending on the extent of it.  Anyway, if matching the size is important to you then measure the diameter and height and add this to your search filter when selecting a replacement.

Check here.  You will see I already added some relevant filters.  There are diameter and height filters if you want those, and you need to set the correct voltage rating filter.

I also removed the cpu socket, so any help finding a source for those would help also.

This is potentially more difficult.  You're looking for a through-hole PCB edge connector, but the problem is finding one with 86 pins.  I had a (quick) look but couldn't find one at my usual sources.  Perhaps someone else will reply with a good source for these.  If not it will be easier for you to salvage the old one if it's still possible, otherwise perhaps you can source a larger edge connector and carefully cut it down.

and the strip capacitors

What strip capacitors? You will need to be more specific for me to help you here.

Also, please consider posting a high resolution photo of the damaged area of the motherboard.  It will be interesting to see the extent of the damage and there may be more advice that can be offered with respect to it.

guest7146

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:11:56 PM »
This is potentially more difficult.  You're looking for a through-hole PCB edge connector

I just realised that you're probably talking about the 68000 CPU socket rather than the CPU slot connector.  If that's correct then you're in luck because the CPU sockets are a lot easier to find.

You're looking for a 64-pin 2.54mm pitch DIL socket.  You have to be careful to select the correct width, which I don't know off-the-cuff and I'm at work (yes, on a Sunday!) so I can't check at the moment.

Start here:

https://uk.farnell.com/c/connectors/ic-sockets?no-of-contacts=64contacts

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:23:07 AM »
Yes, I meant the 68000 socket, I think I have one coming...
the strip is a strip resistor bank... not capacitor, sorry.

And I removed the capacitor late at night and cannot find it to replace it, so I have no idea it’s size...

guest7146

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:28:38 AM »
I removed the capacitor and cannot find it to replace it, so I have no idea it’s size...

OK I checked the schematic and this capacitor is on a 5V rail so you need to buy a 470uF electrolytic capacitor with 6.3V rating or above.  It would be a good idea to measure the distance between the lead-holes on the PCB for the capacitor.  That way you can buy one that fits in there nicely.  If you buy one that's too narrow you will end up having to stretch the legs to fit it.  It'll still work of course, but a good electronics technician will criticise your work in the future  ;)

If you can't find a 470uF 6.3V in a large enough size, then look for capacitors with larger voltage ratings.  Larger voltage rating == physically larger capacitor.

the strip is a strip resistor bank... not capacitor, sorry.

That's what I thought  ;) but which one? Do you have a component location?  There are two in the general area:

RP101, 2.7k
RP100, 4.7k

If you're really stuck, measure the resistance of the one that came out of there.

PS: GENERAL RULE:

Always keep hold of the components that you took out, and organise them methodically so you know what is what, until the repair is done.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:37:47 AM »
Thanks! Yeah... I thought I was organized... but I have zero idea what I did with the parts.