Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)  (Read 13022 times)

Description:

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
Hooligan_DCS wrote:

one lousy (overpriced) motherboard.

"Overpriced" and "relatively expensive" (because it's still in low-volume production) are two totally different concepts.

You are apparently trying to get people to think that somebody is making an excessive profit out of the sale of A1 mobos.

This is totally untrue.
AT

Offline Loki1

• Show only replies by Loki1

Hooligan_DCS wrote:
How blind are people not to see that A1 mobo is nothing special and OS4 will be the driving force......

I beg to differ!

As long as A1 is the ONLY non-classic hardware that will be able to run AOS4, it is and will remain SPECIAL!

Loki :-D
Amiga - Resistance was Futile! :-(

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Delfina Flipper: Yes new amigahardware:-D
Morphos: Well it´s not really AmigaOS just emulation around a microkernel just as Amithlon/Umilator
AROS demo: very intresting cat shaped windows  :-D

Eyetech: "It´s gonna be good  but you can´t run amigaprograms on it yet"  
ZZZZZZZZZZ.....

Heard it before a hundred times
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS

anarchic_teapot wrote:
"Overpriced" and "relatively expensive" (because it's still in low-volume production) are two totally different concepts.

You are apparently trying to get people to think that somebody is making an excessive profit out of the sale of A1 mobos.

This is totally untrue.

First of all I think it's OVERpriced, not relatively expensive. Second, you think  Eyetech's in this for Pro Bono? I don't think so.
But of course, they are entitled to get profit, how else could they survive? Still it's a very expensive piece of hardware. Very.

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Dan wrote:
Morphos: Well it´s not really AmigaOS just emulation around a microkernel just as Amithlon/Umilator

And just as AmigaOS4. As for PPC-native software, it'll be up to developers if they want to make versions for both MorphOS and AmigaOS4. Quite a few seem to be interested in both.

- - gary_c

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer

AOS on x86 would NOT attract applications, any more than BeOS did!

BeOS doesn't have a common virtual CPU platform between PPC edition and X86 edition.

PS; Bernie does have the official license for AmigaOS from Amiga Inc.  

Linux runs on PLENTY of x86 boxes - WHERE are ALL THOSE WONDERFUL Linux Games?

One has to consider the people’s mindset who supports Linux.  

Do you see a pattern here? Other OS' run on x86 - Developers code for Windows!

Name the processor that powers Nintendo Game Cube.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

What new hardware?

Items bought first hand.

You can play with the nice dongle, thats not industry standard

A dongle is a standard practice in high-end/priced applications in MS Windows world.

Before one can play modern commercial games (e.g. Splinter Cell, Unreal II, UT2003 and 'etc') one will be asked to insert the original CDs. This basically amounts to poor man’s dongle.

How blind are people not to see that A1 mobo is nothing special

Did this person said anything 'special' in his/her post?

Sometimes I wonder if some Amiga-people have even touched a computer above the 233mhz barrier, or seen the performance of even a MIDDLE-tech PC these days.

Is that relevant to the topic?  

Offline Hooligan_DCS

Items bought first hand.

Thats the best you came up with? I have boxed Wizard mouse which is 5-6 years old. When I go back home and open the box, is it new hardware? I didn't thougth so either.

Dongle and copy protection are two different things. Those games have a copy protection (=assuming the player has original cd's in drive), it's not a "poor mans dongle".

Did this person said anything 'special' in his/her post?

Judging by the spirit and message in posting, yes.

Sometimes I wonder if some Amiga-people have even touched a computer above the 233mhz barrier, or seen the performance of even a MIDDLE-tech PC these days.

Is that relevant to the topic?  

My personal thoughts in the end. You hate my avatar so much you're going to break my comments to 100 pieces and comment them word by word?

Offline Hammer

Thats the best you came up with?

Is that relevant?  

I have boxed Wizard mouse which is 5-6 years old. When I go back home and open the box, is it new hardware?

What you are forgetting is the vendor and customer relationship. A product that is second-hand cannot be sold as “new”.

I didn't thougth so either.

You assume too much.

Judging by the spirit and message in posting, yes.

Quote it.

My personal thoughts in the end.

Sure.

You hate my avatar so much you're going to break my comments to 100 pieces (SNIP)

I have no feelings in regards to your avatar. You assume too much.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

What a fruitfull conversation. Better end it here.

Offline Hammer

Dongle and copy protection are two different things. Those games have a copy protection (=assuming the player has original cd's in drive), it's not a "poor mans dongle".

You missed the main purpose of a dongle.

What is the main purpose of a dongle (e.g. Cubase SX)?
Answer:  Run a single authorised copy at a given session.

What is the purpose of a copy protected CDs (e.g. Suresafe embedded CDs)?
Answer:  Run a single authorised copy at a given session.

*Examples of games that use “full installation” but yet still require the original play disc are;
1. Splinter Cell,
2. Unreal 2
3. UT2003

It’s the right for any software company to protect their software investment. I don’t know why you are making a big fuss in regards to A1's dongle?

Offline Hooligan_DCS

It’s the right for any software company to protect their software investment. I don’t know why you are making a big fuss in regards to A1's dongle?

I mentioned dongle on ONE line. Fuss?
I don't know many manufacturers whome have done the same as Eyetech. But, for the sake of continuum... let's look it at this way:
How'd you like if major motherboard manufacturers would include a dongle making it possible to use only Windows as operating system? I am well aware of why it was included, but I am totally against it as the consumer pays the extra price for something as useless as a dongle in AmigaOne.
There is practically NO PIRATES left in Amiga-scene.. only a handful whome like chatting on efnet instead of cracking software.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
@Hooligan_DCS:

How'd you like if major motherboard manufacturers would include a dongle making it possible to use only Windows as operating system? I am well aware of why it was included, but I am totally against it as the consumer pays the extra price for something as useless as a dongle in AmigaOne.

Wow, thanks for pointing out that you haven't even gotten a SINGLE point of what the dongle does. It does NOT ensure that you only run one OS on the machine, it ensures that you only run that version of the OS on THAT machine. Like, you can't buy a computer with Linux and then pirate OS4 later. However, you CAN buy a computer with OS4 and install Linux later. I seriously DO NOT see the problem with this for someone who is NOT contemplating piracy. And THAT'S a FACT (since you're obviously too stupid to understand written language, I'm referring to the fact that I am unable to see how this can be a problem for someone who is not contemplating piracy. That is a fact, because I don't see it.).

Now will you please shut the #### up about things you have NO good arguments for?

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
Also, how are Genesi any better? Where's the A1 version of MorphOS? Since the Pegasos doesn't have a dongle I should be able to freely download MOS for my AmigaOne, no?

If you could just understand that it's OS4 that has a dongle, NOT the AmigaOne, you might reach some sort of enlightened state.

Offline Damion

@olegal

>I seriously DO NOT see the problem with this
>for someone who is NOT contemplating piracy

Well olegal, it's been said a million times,
some people do NOT like like the A1 (board),
and would like to BUY OS4 to run on possibly
a Mac/Pegasos...or at least have the door left
open for possibilities other than the A1.
Pulling the 'piracy' card is a cheap shot
(and moreover completely inaccurate and silly).

Protecting the software is a good thing,
but trying to force the ($5-600?) teron
board on people will only make most of them
laugh...and that's not desirable for a new
platform now is it?

BTW: The term "dongle" implies hardware...you
can 'protect' something without using a
specific piece of hardware to go with it.
(and I'm not counting the disc a game comes
on:))

Offline Hooligan_DCS

Re: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)
« Reply #59 from previous page: April 01, 2003, 12:24:21 PM »
All I was giving was an example. Maybe you did not understand that  inside your little head. OS4 for Pegasos, like who in earth was going to do it? Nearly impossible.

And what's this piracy you're talking about? Piracy is almost non-existent on Amiga platform. Do I have to bend it out of a wire? For the price dongles they could have sent out those t-shirts.
I am not against the dongles principle, what it should do. I am against the fact that I will be the one paying for it for no reason what so ever.

Also, how are Genesi any better? Where's the A1 version of MorphOS? Since the Pegasos doesn't have a dongle I should be able to freely download MOS for my AmigaOne, no?

You will be able to download a free MOS for PowerUp cards anyway. MOS for A1? Well why not.. maybe later.

Special thanks for being so polite.