Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench 3.1 graphical icon rendering issue  (Read 2721 times)

Description:

Offline dschallockTopic starter

Workbench 3.1 graphical icon rendering issue
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »
I am getting some very specific vertical banding/artifacting of icons on workbench with a fresh install of of OS 3.1 on an A3000 with a warpengine 3040 16megs of RAM and 2 of Chip.  It does NOT happen all the time, but it will happen once a session and when it does, it doesn't matter how I resize or refresh the screen the problem persists.  But I might launch a program and then quit and come back to workbench and the artifacting is gone.  There is no disturbance of the icons horzontally.  I have not seen any garbage on any other program.. just icons on workbench.

Last year I was getting the garbled graphics on games after the system heated up some and I ended up ordering and replacing the CIA chips with the new cooler running ones.  The garbled graphics in games went away immediately.  I have been running a 3.9 system through a picasso IV promoted workbench and only recently created another bootable drive with a fresh 3.1 installation on it.  I am NOT using the picasso IV for this 3.1 system.  Just pure Amiga flicker fixed output from the A3000.

Any thoughts as to what this vertical garbled icons might be caused by?
Thanks!
-Dan

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: Workbench 3.1 graphical icon rendering issue
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:40:58 AM »
Can't be sure, but possibly down to a known glitch with the icon library (which gradually evolved from 1.2, restricted colours on early Amigas to 256 or more colours on Workbench 3 and later machines).

Workbench 2.1 also had some some support for 24 bit card displays and DCTV and similar graphics upgrades, so you really only encounter it on later versions of AmigaDOS, 3 and up.

This thread might offer a workaround, but from what I remember, there are various modded versions of icon,library around to address this issue.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70439
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 04:53:02 AM »
Download the vastly improved Peter K. icon library from Aminet. Should help determine whether your problem is related to hardware, or software.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 01:43:46 AM »
Quote from: dschallock;811439
I am getting some very specific vertical banding/artifacting of icons on workbench with a fresh install of of OS 3.1 on an A3000 with a warpengine 3040 16megs of RAM and 2 of Chip.  It does NOT happen all the time, but it will happen once a session and when it does, it doesn't matter how I resize or refresh the screen the problem persists.  But I might launch a program and then quit and come back to workbench and the artifacting is gone.  There is no disturbance of the icons horzontally.  I have not seen any garbage on any other program.. just icons on workbench.

Last year I was getting the garbled graphics on games after the system heated up some and I ended up ordering and replacing the CIA chips with the new cooler running ones.  The garbled graphics in games went away immediately.  I have been running a 3.9 system through a picasso IV promoted workbench and only recently created another bootable drive with a fresh 3.1 installation on it.  I am NOT using the picasso IV for this 3.1 system.  Just pure Amiga flicker fixed output from the A3000.

Any thoughts as to what this vertical garbled icons might be caused by?
Thanks!
-Dan

Faulty Agnus? Try re-seating everthing on the motherboard including RAM etc.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 05:24:19 AM »
Is this a fresh, unadulterated load?  I ran into the same problem on my 1200 when I used FBlit without setting the proper WBCtrl and LoadWB options (IIRC, SIMPLEGELS, in particular.)