Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga A1200 startup problem..WB 40.42  (Read 959 times)

Description:

Offline zihosTopic starter

• Show only replies by zihos
Amiga A1200 startup problem..WB 40.42
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:23:51 PM »
To technoid.I´ve got Amiga comp 2 weeks later.I´ve tried to start it and it works but problem is.The Amiga not is starting directly to Workbench.After start is displayed info about workbench verion and animated disket on screen.Then I´ve used CTRL AMIGA AMIGA to restarting WB.I´ts working normaly.
Question 1. Can I set it to starting directly WB?How Ihave no user guide.
Second Problem:Some game I use I can´t leave by any way ,clickig or pressing some keypads bottons.Only restarting with used kombination sequencion I´ve written above resoled úproblem.Can I do something wrong with ofen restarting comp?How can I leave game in another way.
 At least: When I´ve ending work with comp closed overy programs and aplications I can´t leave workbench. When I Click close button  or used menu system.System wrote "One program it´s running in workbench so you can leave it"What can I do and how?I´m novice in this problematic.Thanks to All

Offline uncleted

• Show only replies by uncleted
Re: Amiga A1200 startup problem..WB 40.42
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:36:25 PM »
1. It could be your hard drive isn't spinning up fast enough to boot the first time.  It's a fairly typical problem on older IDE drives.  It's not really a big deal.

2. Most games don't quit to workbench.  WHDLoad will allow you to launch most games from workbench and quit back to the workbench with a key.  You need a reasonably expanded Amiga (ie. 030 + extra RAM) to make good use of it though.

3. There's no real point in quiting out of Workbench.  Just wait for all drive activity to stop and switch it off.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 02:43:59 PM »
After start is displayed info about workbench verion and animated disket on screen.Then I´ve used CTRL AMIGA AMIGA to restarting WB.I´ts working normaly.
Question 1. Can I set it to starting directly WB?

This is not a software problem. Your HDD is spinning up too slow after power-on, so it is missed during the initial IDE bus scan.

Check which Kickstart version your Amiga has. If it is Kick 3.0 (version 39.xx), you might want to upgrade to Kick 3.1 (version 40.xx). Kick 3.1 waits longer for slow spinning HDDs.

If it's already at Kick 3.1, there is nothing you can do.

Some game I use I can´t leave by any way ,clickig or pressing some keypads bottons.Only restarting with used kombination sequencion I´ve written above resoled úproblem.Can I do something wrong with ofen restarting comp?How can I leave game in another way.

Most games, especially floppy-based games, have no possibility to quit. Restating the computer is the only way.

You might want to have a look at WHDLoad. It allows to install most games to HDD and it also adds the possibility to quit to many games.

http://www.whdload.de/

When I Click close button or used menu system.System wrote "One program it´s running in workbench so you can leave it"What can I do and how?

That's normal. Some programs started during boot are still running in the background. Just make sure that the floppy and HDD lights are off and then switch it off. There is no need to shut down AmigaOS. There is not even a way to shut it down. Closing Workbench does not mean that all applications are stopped. Only those started by Workbench are monitored.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:24:29 AM »
Still one more question:When I´ve formated one disket on Windows platform pc is not displayable on Amiga and vice versa.It´s wrote disket is no formated.Is the problem reasonable...?Thanks

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 08:06:05 AM »
er, yes its 'reasonable'. :-)
Your Amiga cannot read HD diskettes, so format it as 720Kb on PC and if it still doesn't work use 'mount PC0:' on Amiga.
You'll need some utilities for formatting to 720Kb in case you use winXP.
Reading Amiga diskettes on PC is another story. It should be possible if you got 2 drives; forget about writing. Also, there is some extra hardware that can do it.
Better sorry than worry.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »
Namely, I have found website with games and I want to bring it by disket to my amiga.I have no connection to net with Amiga.With NT windows PC only...?Advise me

Offline pjhutch

• Amiga user and developer
    • Show only replies by pjhutch
    • http://www.pjhutchison.org
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:07:38 PM »
Get Amiga Explorer and use can use a PC to Amiga connection to transfer files direct to the Amiga with no extra s/w require on Amiga side.

http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

Or try WarTrans from here:
http://amiga.nvg.org/warlock/wartrans/

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:06:06 AM »
For assurance I understand well.I have to instal the software to any windows Pc and then connect both pc with "serial" cable and content of games save directly to Amiga?I think that not be posible.I have no cable to connect Pc´s

Offline pjhutch

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 10:09:42 PM »
It should be quite possible to buy a cable cheaply and possibly a converter for Amiga's 25 pin serial port.

Alternatively,  AmigaOS 3.x comes with Crossdos, all you need to do is mount PC0: from the DosDrivers (see WB or Storage disk) and then copy games via a 720K PC formatted disk.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 06:39:14 PM »
Ok I Have it done.But witch program I have to use to open   .adf files?How can I copy files to Amiga Copy and Paste?  Thanks

Offline pjhutch

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 08:05:56 PM »
You need APDF to read PDF files which can be found here:

http://elesueur.free.fr/Apdf/

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 08:09:40 PM »
Uh he meant ADF...

Anyway adf files are disk images of real Amiga floppies. A handy tool for these files is Adf2Disk. You can find it on Aminet:
http://dk.aminet.net/disk/misc/adf2disk11.lha

This program lets you write adf images to floppies on your Amiga. You can then use the floppies in your Amiga again.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 03:39:42 AM »
You could use TransADF, with TransADF-GUI. For me works fine!
 :-D
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.