Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dual Display from Video Card  (Read 696 times)

Description:

Offline tonywTopic starter

• Show only replies by tonyw
Dual Display from Video Card
« on: May 21, 2003, 06:14:31 AM »
Does anyone know if a dual display (that is, two independent displays) can be generated by any of the run-'o-the-mill video cards? Like the current ATI series, for example?

Is it even possible, or do they all have a common video memory?

tony

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
Re: Dual Display from Video Card
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 08:07:11 AM »
;-) If it has two video connections, and appropriate drivers, sure.  

:-? Or do you mean by using two cards, each with a seperate connection?  Again, I suspect it would work, if the driver was written to support it.

:-? Now I'm wondering whether a PicassoIV and a CyberVision64 can run seperate displays on an Amiga.  Hmmm...

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 02:12:39 PM »
This always kinda puzzeled me. as people have been asking if you can run "dual display" for some time now. thing was, previously, having a dual sceen workbench ment two GFX cards, which was supposed to be impossible, as it wasn't one continuous memory segment. or something. but i could run fusion MAC emulator with a GFX card and AGA as a dual screen for the mac desktop, and as fusion gets its resources from the OS, can someone explain why this worked for an EMULATOR and not the OS? (and why wouldn't fusion work with 2 GFX cards, instead of one GFX card and AGA?)
now though, you should be able to get a dual screen off of a dual head card because both screens are comming out of the same GFX memory space. just a case of drivers.

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline Serpi

• Show only replies by Serpi
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 02:52:44 PM »
At least the manual of my Radeon 9000 says it supports a dual display, one monitor at the VGA connector, another one at the DVI connector (and I can set up two different display devices in Linux at PCI 1:0:0 and 1:0:1).

Ciao, Alfred

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 03:14:10 PM »
Possibly because of the way Workbench was doing things a bit more directly? I mean, an emulator could take the two memory areas and make the OS running in emulation think it was one memory block, but who would be able to provide this feature to AmigaOS itself? There's nothing running above there, is there? That's why this would work in applications but not the OS itself, I guess...

That said, maybe it'll be possible later on :-)