Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: www.softhut.com  (Read 16995 times)

Description:

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
Re: www.softhut.com
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
I agree also 100%. it took an awful big leap of faith for me to order a Typhoon card and so far I am not all that impressed.
The old "I don't have time to update the site" in this day and age is not acceptable. Heck, with this econony, there are hundereds of web site builders literally starving for work {will HTML for food}.Most 12 year old kids can update a page.
If it was a priority, the website would be up to date. Even if they spent 15 minutes a day pulling down outdated pages.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline motruckerTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
I have not been to Software Hut in a couple of years. I doubt they live off of Amiga sales these days - I mean face it, Amiga users don't make much of a buying force these days.
It seems that some Amiga users don't appreciate their help and support.
I like Amigakit, but Software Hut quite often has items the Amigakit doesn't.
There are times when an E-Mail to Software Hut may take a day or two to get back to me. That doesn't bother me a bit. When they ship something, it gets here quickly.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline cehofer

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »
I have purchased from Software hut for years and always had good luck even when things are damaged.  The US Amiga community should feel lucky that we still have a local dealer.  Joe is GREAT and he is very responsive.  Most of the time he cannot help when his stuff comes from the EU.  I will say the website is outdated but I have just come to email Joe directly.  Software Hut could have turned tail and ran just like all the other dealers did.  So I would cut them some slack.

Amikit is very responsive as well.  Software hut didn't have OS4.1 so I got it from Amikit.  They are kinda go overboard wrapping their products in bubble wrap but I would rather have that than a crushed item when it get here.

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »
Quote from: cehofer;510896
Amikit is very responsive as well.  Software hut didn't have OS4.1 so I got it from Amikit.  They are kinda go overboard wrapping their products in bubble wrap but I would rather have that than a crushed item when it get here.

I believe your referring to Amigakit, and not Amikit, which is an Amiga environment software for a PC.  As for packaging from Amigakit, I have been thoroughly impressed with Amigakit's packaging.  To complete a A1200 tower project I had to obtain another A1200 board, which was purchased from Amigakit.  When the board arrived I found it safely wrapped in an antistatic sleeve with sufficient amount of bubble wrap enclosing it.  We are lucky to have such dedicated vendors for our hobby.  Thanks to Amigakit, Software Hut, Red's Retro Computing, etc. :)

The Dawg
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline barney

• Show only replies by barney
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 11:00:14 PM »
Fair enough....I stand down.  I'll give them another try.  The last thing we need to do is blow out the few remaining Amiga dealers.  We should be glad they are there for us.

Barney

Offline wlemonds

• Show only replies by wlemonds
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »
I've ordered quite alot of stuff from Joe over the years (back as far as '96) and never had any problems. I ordered the 4060DT and got a bad board apparently, but, it wasn't his fault and he worked with the guy at GVP to get me a replacement. Hell, I'm thinking of buying another one for my A3000 before they are gone.

I hate having to buy from overseas with the exchange rates and the shipping hassles.

I'm glad Joe and Red are still around!
A500 PAL ACA500 Plus/Gotek
A1200 060/66 Tower/Mediator
A2000 Vampire/4XEIDE\'99/MNT 2000/Ariadne II+
A3000 040/40
A4000 Tekmagic 060/50
X5000/20

Offline new2amga

• Show only replies by new2amga
    • http://www.canadiancrusaders.com
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 01:43:02 AM »
Maybe some one who can do HTML and back end inventory systems should talk to Joe and see if he is interested in having the website updated?  If I could do something like that I would because I would like to be able to give something back to the Amiga Community.  As it is right now, all I do is consume object for my personal use.  I have no discernible skills in either hardware repair or software programming.  I'm just a user.  How hard is it to program in HTML, it can't be that hard, right?

Nathan

Offline ami_junki

• Show only replies by ami_junki
    • http://www.cd32gamer.info
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »
Right, you made me feel like I should do something, I contacted Joe to see if he would let me update his site, maybe do an overhaul of the entire site, simplify it and update the products.  Will see what he says.

Offline Jeff

• Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 02:41:56 AM »
That would be great.  Several times I have either ordered something or would like to, only to find out it hasn't been in stock for months/years. Hopefully Joe will be all for it.  Thanks for the effort!

-Jeff

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 03:44:51 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;510888
I have not been to Software Hut in a couple of years. I doubt they live off of Amiga sales these days - I mean face it, Amiga users don't make much of a buying force these days.
It seems that some Amiga users don't appreciate their help and support.
I like Amigakit, but Software Hut quite often has items the Amigakit doesn't.
There are times when an E-Mail to Software Hut may take a day or two to get back to me. That doesn't bother me a bit. When they ship something, it gets here quickly.

When I was active with The Amiga Roundtable Podcast the idea came to me to reach out to Joe for an interview (I live in Philadelphia/nearby). I basically pitched it to Joe as a chance to get the word out that they are still around, history of his company, etc. Since there have been several threads about softhut in the past I thought it wouldn't hurt and could be something positive.

Well obviously he is making a living with other pursuits and wasn't very interested in a chat over a cup of coffee, which was fine. Regardless..here are links to his other businesses:

http://www.flashwear.com

http://www.eluminousmedia.com

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »
Quote from: don27dog;457161
Motrucker,

86' Kx 250?

my guess in a 85 kx125..
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 11:06:34 PM »
Hello,

Here is some informations about one order to Software Hut...my feedback !!!

Name: a friend of mine (Maurice)
Product: GVP card + SCSI + 16 Mo Ram for AMIGA 1200
Date: 29 april 2009
Price: $286,90 with Paypal

No answer about delay, no answer about delivery. No tracking #...

Nothing nothing nothing since 3 months !!!

Joe, where are you ? What are you doing ?????? Where is the card ? Where is the money ?

Can we consider you as a thief ??? Make us think the opposite, in interest of of amiga community.

Thanks a lot.

-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »
Quote from: VingtTrois;516764
Hello,

Joe, where are you ? What are you doing ?????? Where is the card ? Where is the money ?

Can we consider you as a thief ??? Make us think the opposite, in interest of of amiga community.

Thanks a lot.

How do you expect to get a positive answer, or any answer at all when you write to someone and call him a thief?  Then you put that message on a public forum without explaining what other attempts you have made to contact Joe at Software Hut with your complaints.  Joe is not making the boards, he just put up the money to have them made and he is waiting just like you are to get them so he can ship them out.  That does not make him a thief!

Write to him and ask for your refund, but don't come to these public forums and call the man a thief and expect to get my sympathy.  I and many members here have had purchases with Joe over the last twenty years and not had any problems. Joe's lack of communication is only half the problem, take responsibility for your half and if you are still not happy with the results, then get your refund if that is what you want.

Joe did this out of his fondness for the Amiga community, not to make a bundle of money.  How can he make any giant profit on such a small production run of products, it was probably barely worth his time to try to organize it and if he had known that there were going to be complications and long delays that would get him into so much bad favor with his buyers, he probably would not have started the whole thing with the GVP products.

I assure you that you will have a better chance of getting a reply from Joe if you do not call him names or make inflamatory remarks about him on public forums.  Please think before you post such things about people.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Firedawg

• Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 04:57:25 AM »
Quote from: VingtTrois;516764
Hello,

Thanks a lot.

I think thief is a very strong and offensive word to be using.  Yes, Joe has not been very responsive to updates concerning availability and the production issues concerning the accelerator cards.  For those who have requested a refund Joe has made good, so there is no thief about it, if you want to cancel your order request a refund.

The Dawg
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline Daytona400

• Show only replies by Daytona400
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »
I received mine. Works really well. I've always had good luck with Joe. Sorry to hear you haven't got yours yet. I have complete confidence you'll get it.

Offline lofstudio

• Show only replies by lofstudio
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 25, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »
Apparently it's the SCSI bit that's causing delays. I heard from Joe today:

>At 12:43 PM 7/22/2009, you wrote:
>Joe,

>I hate to keep bothering you about this, but is there any news on the
>1200 accelerators with SCSI yet?

Sorry nothing, Mike had to go back to the Philippines. If he can ship direct this week fine if not I am going to cancel and refund the boards with scsi. The only other option is to go with one without scsi if you want to do that
A3000: 2mb chip, 8mb fast; Buddha Flash Phoenix; some cheapo CD-ROM; OS 3.1 + lots of Macs