Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 060's and cooling requirements  (Read 1737 times)

Description:

Offline Abou27

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
Re: 060's and cooling requirements
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 22, 2003, 12:07:10 AM »
@lempkee

I'm not bothered about noise; but, yeah, space may be a problem!  Was considering a couple of fans beneath  raised A1200.  Thing is, I'm not too sure how hot is too hot!  With mine, can hold finger on it, but quite uncomfortable - too hot?

What do you reckon about glueing home-made heatsinks to the chip?  Good cheap solution or oops, hope you didn't like your chip!?

Cheers for your feedback once again- hopefully one day I shall be able to help you out with a problem!

Jon  

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2003, 02:28:46 AM »
@ Abou27,

No, never "glue" anything to cpu. Use heatsink grease, avail. @ any electronic shop.

Chris

Offline Damion

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2003, 03:53:42 AM »
@Abou27

Find a good "486" fan/heatsink combo, and run the fan at 5 or 7
volts through a cheap wall converter...the fan will be much quieter
then, and should still be plently of cooling for your CPU.

Offline JoseTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2003, 06:08:06 AM »
What about this

Width (in)     Length (in)     Height (in)
2.82               2.45                 0.2

Ok, I know it's nothing special but it's thin. It would probably fit an A1200 desktop provided a means to get it well fixed, and it would be silent.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2003, 09:38:01 AM »
My personal experience without overclocking:

030, gets pritty damn hot but doesn't need heatsing nor fan for any Mhz model.

040, gets extremly hot and to ensure a healthy system for a longer time a 25Mhz model need a heatsink and a 40Mhz needs a fan aswell.

060 is a bit hard to say with all the different types but usually none of them need heatsink or fan as long as they ani't overclocked though to ensure a longer life span for these expencive CPU's a heatsing should be applied anyway

When it comes to overclocking there is one rule that always apply... ALWAYS use extra cooling!  :-o

030 definitly need a heatsink and probably a fan.

040 shouldn't be overclocked since it already run very hot but I'm sure there are ppl out there doing it anyway and if you got a wathercooling enviorment it would probably come in handy right about now.

060 can be overclocked but how far you want to take it is realy up to you and the type of 060 you have (and what you value the most, more speed or longer lifetime). Although I definitly recomend both heatsink and fan for any overclocking of the 060... 55Mhz for any type of 060 should be fine without extra cooling... 60Mhz definitly need a heatsink for the 50Mhz versions (standard or "A model"). For 66Mhz you need both heatsink and fan if it's a 50Mhz version CPU you got, if it's a 60Mhz version a heatsink should be enough. 75Mhz should realy just be tried wit the 60Mhz version and then with both heatsink and fan but I guess you can do another wathercooling project here for the 50Mhz models also aswell as for the 60Mhz if you want to try puch it alittle further. Now this was all true until I read about a 100Mhz 060 turbo for the Atari... It uses the newest of 060 (that have some new tech) whith no Amiga turbo are equipped with (yet)... If you get hold of such a CPU you should be able to puch it to this extreme aswell but as far as I could see it needed some heavy cooling not to burn. :-D

Offline Brian

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2003, 06:32:31 PM »
@Abou27

Well... I was in the same dilemma as you... how do I keep the heatsink in place? Well.. "long" time ago 486's sometime came with a sticker that you put on the CPU and then stuck the heatsink onto... those would be ideal though they are hard to find here where I live... what I did was to put "heatsink grease" on it as sugested and then clean the corners and use just a little compound glue there... it's not ideal but it works (just make sure you get a glue that can withstand heat... I use my solusion on a 040/25 with just a small heatsink (atm till I find a fan) and I can tell you it gets hot... blister hot even!).

Offline Jope

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2003, 08:01:41 PM »
Well, you can use heat conducting glue or heat conducting adhesive pads, but of course they don't conduct heat as well as thermal grease / silver paste and a spring clipped cooler element.

Offline Brian

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2003, 10:32:42 AM »
And you need to find those things aswell, most places don't have any. Also in my case the 040 is in a standard A1200 (with extra high feets) and the heatsing sticking out a little underneath and I want it is well and surely stuck to the CPU.