Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Descent Freespace 2 for AmigaOS4.1  (Read 4655 times)

Description:

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Re: Descent Freespace 2 for AmigaOS4.1
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;565045
I'm a 680x0 user only at this point. So I consider my self neutral, though I will confess that OS 4.1 seems to be something that only the rich kids and enjoy, hence my reasons for being so eager to jump onto the MorphOS bandwagon. That and the fact that I've heard nothing bad about it yet.

Either way, I'm glad we have options, I'm glad we got MorphOS, Amiga OS 4.1, AROS, and out beloved 680x0 machines. Hell, I'll throw Haiku in with the list, just for the fact that BeOS almost was the future at one time. I wouldn't have it any other way, it keeps things interesting.

I have to agree, I think OS4.x costs to much to try out just because of its expensive hardware, I was planning on buying a SAM440-flex for a while but because its quite expensive and I might not like it I went for MorphOS instead, I just bought a Mac Mini and im waiting for a PSU then ill get rolling.

Tho I ofc will try out AmigaOS 4.1 before I say anything bad about it. but for now ill put my money on MorphOS and ill might give AmigaOS 4.x a go later on.

but as said, ive heard alot of negative feedback about AmigaOS 4.x but ive heard little to nothing negative about MorphOS?

So I would like someone to point out something negative about MorphOS

Offline pVC

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »
Quote from: DAX;565043
At Mos users (which i already know from AW ;) ): WOW I have to say that you don't skimp on shamelessly SPAMMING every OS4.1 thread here at Amiga.org, some self esteem will be appreciated ;)

If someone asks if OS4 version runs also on MorphOS (through OS4-emu I guess), why shouldn't it be answered if there already is native version for MorphOS?
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline DAX

• Show only replies by DAX
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »
@pVC
Speaking in general but wrong impression afterall :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:51:23 AM by DAX »

Offline DAX

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »
@XDelusion @som99
You are surely entitled to be interested in MOS or Aros or anything, just as side note, I wanted to point out the fact that after the Settlement between Amiga Inc and Hyperion, AmigaOS is once again in the evolution Virtuous Circle and many complaints you heard were about older versions.
Some still apply (3D subsystem being slow) but developers (Rogue in particular) know them well and will surely provide solutions now that the OS is free to run with its legs again (and it's no longer chained down by lawsuits).

On a final note I would like to add that I will probably buy my X1000 with a small personal Loan (they are very common where I live) with monthly rates of €19, not exactly rich-kids material ;)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »
Not an advertisement, a question. Like I said, I've not even touched MorphOS yet. You are drunk and blowing things out of proportion. :)

I think there is actually only a small group of regulars that really have any major beef with OS 4.1. I'm not aware of an OS war on the Amiga, and if their is, then these people should stop competing, and work towards ensuring apps, games, and the like have a means to run on either OS, regardless of which you choose, that way the community does not go the way of Atari and branch off, each using it's own OS that only works with itself and generally doesn't even resemble the OS it is replacing, which in TOS' case, that's a good thing, but for Amiga, it's nice that all our OS's still function like the original that we all came to know and love.

So anyhow, Descent is an awesome game that now everyone cane enjoy, except AROS users! ;)

EDIT: Aghh you posted as I was typing, damnit! Now I can't accuse you of being drunk and blowing things out of proportion! :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:13:02 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »
Yes, I look forward to the future of OS 4.1, and I have began to feel a little hope towards the X1000. Now that Amiga Inc. is out of the picture, the future is looking good and I hope the best to them, and who knows, maybe some day I'll find a reason to raise the money to purchase one, but as it stands, I can come up with of practical reason considering I have many other toys I'm investing money into right now amongst other things. :)
I'm not a believer in loans obviously. Though if I were, that would be a great way to build up a little credit!

On that note, should you get your X1000, PLEASE share your experience! Or if you can do Youtube video's that would be a plus, we'll all be hungry for those I'm sure! Sounds like a machine truly made in the Amiga spirit. No custom chips mind you, but chips that no other Computer I'm aware of come with, and isn't the CPU something all new?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
Quote from: DAX;565061
I wanted to point out the fact that after the Settlement between Amiga Inc and Hyperion, AmigaOS is once again in the evolution Virtuous Circle and many complaints you heard were about older versions.
Some still apply (3D subsystem being slow) but developers (Rogue in particular) know them well and will surely provide solutions now that the OS is free to run with its legs again (and it's no longer chained down by lawsuits).
Considering how immature OS4 is on platforms that are currently officially supported I'd seriously recommend anyone to wait for proper driver support before buying the X1000. Else you could end up in the similar situation as with the original AmigaOne: By the time the OS is ready the HW has gone trough several revisions while you've been running Linux.

Things like new 3D subsystem are far from trivial. I very much doubt OS4 will see it within couple of years time. Also, USB2 drivers have been "just around the corner" for ages. Yet, there have been no official word as to when they might actually materialize.

The lack of progress hasn't been because of the legal dispute. It has been because of the lack of resources and skilled developers.

MorphOS Team has been under legal threats from both Amiga, Inc and Hyperion. The company financing the development was in court with Amiga, Inc. It hasn't slowed us down a bit, but lack of resources has.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:36:48 AM by Piru »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Curious.

Offline DAX

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 10:43:33 AM »
@XDelusion
I came from the other thread I mentioned (where a user I know very well from another board actually did what you described, basically hijacked the thread with Anti OS4 propaganda, I call it as such since the user doesn't use OS4 since preliminary os4.0 versions) so I must have received a distorted vision, sorry for that.

@Piru
old Ben's threats are a thing, court orders are another, but alas, if it's not that it is something else and now they are getting their act together (coincidence? who knows).
We'll see what happens...

Offline pVC

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »
Quote from: DAX;565060
@pVC
Speaking in general and happened to be browsing here, it would seem that any OS4.1 related "thing" becomes an excuse for MOS advertisement (such as the other thread where a user was asking about OS4) and this too was quickly turned into a MOS thread which surprised me, but alas...

I think that's a bit biased point of view, ignoring the whole picture. OS4.1 and MorphOS are so close to each other technically and by userbase, that it's natural to talk about others' versions in same contexts. What's possible to port for other, is probably possible to port other too.

And almost all MorphOS software release threads have questions about port for OS4 and talk about it. You just can't blame one side for it. It's happening in both ways and I don't see big problem on it. Audience is pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:07:32 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline DAX

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »
Came from another thread and got a distorted impression due to that, my bad, post edited :)

Offline antikk

• Show only replies by antikk
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
Yes,from mos fanboys who wants you to drop os4 and go mos.

Quote from: som99;565048
I
but as said, ive heard alot of negative feedback about AmigaOS 4.x but ive heard little to nothing negative about MorphOS?

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »
Quote from: Fab;564917
Dunno, but there's a Babylon one and a Battlestar Galactica one (beyond the red line) :)

Starwars? Yes, but it's still a Work in Progress.

The Babylon Project has now been completed, however it should be noted that more recent versions of the FS2 engine do not work nicely with the game.

BTRL has been cancelled due to developer in-fighting.

However, not all is lost as a new BSG group sprang up in it's place: Diaspora.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »
Quote from: antikk;565245
Yes,from mos fanboys who wants you to drop os4 and go mos.

Grow up.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 12:10:10 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;565249

BTRL has been cancelled due to developer in-fighting.

However, not all is lost as a new BSG group sprang up in it's place: Diaspora.

Ah, that explains why i never found it then. :)

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 18, 2010, 12:58:44 AM »
Quote from: DAX;565085
Came from another thread and got a distorted impression due to that, my bad, post edited :)

I think distorted view is permanent in some cases and talking about other threads and "users you know very well" when it's obvious you just now your amigans.net chaps is funny (give me names please)

FYI I betatested final versions of OS4.1 on Peg2, have used OS4.1 on CSPPC (without image composition and VM obviously) and also gave a hand with peg1 bootimages (there was no time to finish it and resources were invested on peg2 version). Just in case you don't have a clue about me (something very likely)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)