Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: adz to adf conversion  (Read 2699 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
adz to adf conversion
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
As I'm testing UAE4All on my new Nokia E75 (it was worth buying just because of that!), all games I can handle is adf games because of limitation of the software.

But adz is just a zipped adf.  Does anyone know the unzipping utility?  There must be one for sure.  But please, Win/Lin/OSX binary!

Thanks in advance.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Thomas

Re: adz to adf conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
Any ZIP/RAR/7Z utility should do that. If the program does not recognise the file, rename it to .adf.gz first.

The original tool is gzip. Don't know if there is a Windows binary, but every Linux distro contains it.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;520639
Any ZIP/RAR/7Z utility should do that. If the program does not recognise the file, rename it to .adf.gz first.

The original tool is gzip. Don't know if there is a Windows binary, but every Linux distro contains it.

Thanks! That's what I thought actually, just needed to be sure.

I suppose any windows starting from XP can natively unzip files, also gzipped ones (with some exceptions).  Mac OS X has gunzip console command, also one might unzip files by double-clicking the file, just like in the windows case.

One more issue then, there's a silly need by UAE4All to have Kick.rom file prepared to have 512KB.  Unfortunately Cloanto's AF package has 256KB files.  I was told once here, by bloodline I guess that I should just clone and concatenate the file.  And it worked but now I forgot how I did it.

So from any user's perspective (Win/Lin/OSX), what's the easiest way to merge two files?  There is a cat Linux/OSX command but the file is binary, not sure if it leaves it unbroken...  And in Windows case... no idea.

Of course since I got the AF files, I can always get the p!rated 512K file hanging on the internet.  But that way is a silly one.  I want the solution, not a conditional workaround.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »
Quote from: DiskDoctor;520641
One more issue then, there's a silly need by UAE4All to have Kick.rom file prepared to have 512KB.  Unfortunately Cloanto's AF package has 256KB files.  I was told once here, by bloodline I guess that I should just clone and concatenate the file.  And it worked but now I forgot how I did it.

So from any user's perspective (Win/Lin/OSX), what's the easiest way to merge two files?  There is a cat Linux/OSX command but the file is binary, not sure if it leaves it unbroken...  And in Windows case... no idea.

linux and bsd are not windows. cat will work just fine.

with windows you need to be more careful:
Code: [Select]
copy /b file1 + file2 target

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »
Quote from: Piru;520643
linux and bsd are not windows. cat will work just fine.

It's certainly binary safe, as anybody who has accidentally cat'ed a large binary file to stdout can attest ;)
int p; // A

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;520645
It's certainly binary safe, as anybody who has accidentally cat'ed a large binary file to stdout can attest ;)

Right! Many times did I manage to run the more/less command on a binary file :) Even the speaker makes sound then.  BTW d'ya know of any internet subculture of that kind of music which is encoded as a binary file and played through speakers while run by more command?

:lol:

A good test though.