Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AROS bounties  (Read 4140 times)

Description:

Offline HenryCaseTopic starter

• Show only replies by HenryCase
Re: New AROS bounties
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:17:53 AM »

bloodline wrote:

HenryCase wrote:

Now the Kickstart is low level code and can be reverse engineered. If we can think of a way to recreate the clean room technique and assign two or more 68k coders to assist each other in this way then we're on to a winner (there also needs to be a fair way to split the bounty but lets not worry about that right now).

The only way I can think of to recreate the 'clean room' technique through the Internet is if the person doing the decompiling and analysis stays completely anonymous and unreachable to the 68k code writers. Or maybe there is another way to do it. Any ideas?

I can assure you the legal issues of this and all techniques required have been discussed in great detail on the AROS dev list. The only problem is lack of interested developers.

Well I'm glad the legal issues surrounding the techniques have been discussed. As for the lack of willing/interested developers, as far as I can tell it is a huge task, and one where a team would be preferable. I am prepared to dig around some places we may find willing coders if I knew these things:

1. How are bounties split when there is a team (or if this hasn't happened in the past has this been discussed)?
2. Other than the clean room technique, what other legal methods of creating a kickstart replacement are there?
3. Was there a strong consensus on which would be the best (or easiest) method to use?

Other than the kickstart replacement bloodline, any AROS bounties you'd like to see?
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline zizban

• Show only replies by zizban
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »
How about screen refresh rates in the current ati/nvidia drivers? Not all of us use LCDs and a low refresh rate on a CRT sucks.

Offline alenppc

• Show only replies by alenppc
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 01:26:39 AM »

Other than the kickstart replacement bloodline, any AROS bounties you'd like to see?

Port AROS to the PS3... time to get rid of the damn penguin. :-)

But this one will always be just a dream though.

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:56 AM »

HenryCase wrote:

Hi Einstein! :-)

Yep, they sound suitably important for a bounty. Apart from memory what other resources would need managers?

Anything that is a resource has it's manager, e.g: memory (Exec), message ports (Exec), windows (Intuition), Zune/MUI objects (Zune/MUI, this includes BOOPSI too), AROS' Traveller/Cairo and beyond (Robert Norris / fce2) :lol: and alot more..

Also, doesn't the x86-64 version of AROS already have partial memory protection? If so, is there any reason why this can't be applied to the other versions of AROS fairly quickly?

Difference between partial mp (A) and full mp (B) is like being attacked by a samurai when one carries a shield (A) and when one sits in a tank (B). :-D
Partial mp is just a retrofit mp, with full mp huge portion of the API needs modification/rewrite, that's why it takes time.
As for AROS32, i don't know if that will be supported for enhancements, it's up to the devs.
I have spoken !

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 01:38:38 AM »
@zizban
Yes, that sounds essential. I wonder how hard that would be to implement.

@alenppc
PS3 AROS. Pipe dream, or is it...
http://www.geek.com/mit-offers-free-playstation-3-programming-course/
http://www.cag.csail.mit.edu/ps3/lectures.shtml
Get yer learnin' hat on! :-D

@Einstein
Anything that is a resource has it's manager, e.g: memory (Exec), message ports (Exec), windows (Intuition), Zune/MUI objects (Zune/MUI, this includes BOOPSI too), and alot more..

Do you mean to say these resource managers don't exist yet or that they need a makeover?

Difference between partial mp (A) and full mp (B) is like being attacked by a samurai when one carries a shield (A) and when one sits in a tank (B). :-D

Liking the analogy there Einstein! :-D

Partial mp is just a retrofit mp, with full mp huge portion of the API needs modification/rewrite, that's why it takes time.
As for AROS32, i don't know if that will be supported for enhancements, it's up to the devs.

I see. Well in that case I'd prefer if we had full MP (sounds like were playing a FF game!) on one distro before work was done to port it to all of them, but as you said it's up to the devs.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 01:47:16 AM »

Einstein wrote:

Also, doesn't the x86-64 version of AROS already have partial memory protection? If so, is there any reason why this can't be applied to the other versions of AROS fairly quickly?

I'm pretty sure that any enhancements that can be brought in from AROS64 into the other ports will be. x86 is currently being finalised for ABI V1 by the workaholic Staf, I expect him, Robert and Michal will sort something out before ABI V1 is finished... and there are bunch of guys working on the PPC port, which is nowhere near a finalised ABI (but also has Michal Schulz working on it) so plenty of time for it to be improved.

:-)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52:09 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Krusher wrote:
My best bet is getting people the programming language they remember.

Yes... and Mattahtias BASIC is an open source AMOS clone... that's why I suggested it :-)

Mattathias BASIC will be more than a clone.  It will be more like a backward compatible sequel.  Imagine Amos 3.0 with AGA support or graphics card support running in any machine language you would like.  8-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52:21 AM »

HenryCase wrote:

Well I'm glad the legal issues surrounding the techniques have been discussed. As for the lack of willing/interested developers, as far as I can tell it is a huge task, and one where a team would be preferable. I am prepared to dig around some places we may find willing coders if I knew these things:

1. How are bounties split when there is a team (or if this hasn't happened in the past has this been discussed)?

Never been done before, the team members will have to figure it before they start work, and then inform Dammy.

2. Other than the clean room technique, what other legal methods of creating a kickstart replacement are there?

Firstly lets get something that POSTs the machine :-) all that requires is a Hardware Reference Manual and plenty of time/motivation... we make it compatible later ;-)

3. Was there a strong consensus on which would be the best (or easiest) method to use?

Yes... we need more 68k, Amiga hardware hacker devs. :-)

Yes, actually... I want EFI and SMP support... but I can only dream at the moment :-)

-Edit- Oh and S-ATA support would be nice too... but there is a bounty for that already.

Offline Einstein

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52:35 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Einstein wrote:

I'm pretty sure that any enhancements that can be brought in from AROS64 into the other ports will be. x86 is currently being finalised for ABI V1 by the workaholic Staf, I expect him, Robert and Michal will sort something out before ABI V1 is finished... and there are bunch of guys working on the PPC port, which is nowhere near a finalised ABI (but also has Michal Shulz working on it) so plenty of time for it to be improved.

:-)

Well something tells me it would take time anyway  :-P
I have spoken !

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »

SamuraiCrow wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Krusher wrote:
My best bet is getting people the programming language they remember.

Yes... and Mattahtias BASIC is an open source AMOS clone... that's why I suggested it :-)

Mattathias BASIC will be more than a clone.  It will be more like a backward compatible sequel.  Imagine Amos 3.0 with AGA support or graphics card support running in any machine language you would like.  8-)

I hoped you'd show up :-) Come on lets get Mattahtias Basic on AROS! :-D

Offline Einstein

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 02:03:28 AM »
@HenryCase

Do you mean to say these resource managers don't exist yet or that they need a makeover?

A makeover.

I see. Well in that case I'd prefer if we had full MP (sounds like were playing a FF game!) on one distro before work was done to port it to all of them, but as you said it's up to the devs.[/quote]

Or up to the bounty cash  :-)
I have spoken !

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 02:14:15 AM »
@SamuraiCrow
Mattathias BASIC does sound great. I posted a few questions on the project's SourceForge page, hope you don't mind me repeating them here:
1. How far through the development is this project (i.e. is a release candidate or beta version due soon)?
2. Which version of AmigaOS is going to be your first target platform (please say AROS!)?
3. Does Mattathias BASIC follow similar syntax to AMOS?

@bloodline
Thanks for the answers to my kickstart coders questions, I'll get chasing them tomorrow. Didn't know about EFI (BIOS replacement). Wouldn't it be better to get UEFI support considering thats the newer standard, or did you want it for x86 Mac compatibility? SMP support is a must, that should definitely be a bounty (maybe one to start next year, but collecting funds should start ASAP).

As for SATA, isn't the first SATA driver currently in progress (for the Sam440 bounty)? If so, will this reduce the workload in writing other SATA drivers?

Einstein wrote:
A makeover.

I see. Well, if it makes AROS more stable then I'm all for it (not that I'm saying it isn't stable now you understand!).

Einstein wrote:
Or up to the bounty cash  :-)

Yeah, I can see that one being real popular! 'Pay AROS devs to give you partial MP only for them to perform a huge rewrite when full MP is needed'. :-D

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 02:56:17 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing it on the XBOX. 64Mb of RAM would go a long way with an Amiga like OS I'd think.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 09:30:36 AM »

XDelusion wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing it on the XBOX. 64Mb of RAM would go a long way with an Amiga like OS I'd think.

For the consoles, I think the best option is to run AROS on top of a minimal Linux, that would solve pretty much all problems and be quick to implement.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
@HenryCase
reverse engineering & reimplementing Kickstart ROM

This is a huge task, however. You make it sound as if it'd be couple of months for 2-3 guys.

More like 5-10 years, assuming you find skilled and well motivated hackers to do it.

PC BIOS was only couple of KB, trivial in comparison. Yet it took 15 guys several months or so.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 22, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »
I would imagine that the Kickstart roms will become public domain , free to use before a replacement is coded
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"