Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shareware registration service  (Read 2002 times)

Description:

Offline weirdamiTopic starter

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Shareware registration service
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »
So, people keep posting about wanting to register some shareware software but the authors don't reply so they can't register. I suggest that amiga.org set up some kind of registration clearing house type deal where shareware software programmers that no longer want to deal with handling registrations of their old software can hand the responsibility over to Wayne, et al.. AO can negotiate to take a cut of the registration fees or even to take all the money if some authors don't really care anymore. That way, AO can have some extra money coming in for the kitty and people can stop complaining and talking about "abandonware".
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Matt_H

Re: Shareware registration service
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 12:34:21 AM »
Good idea - but it still doesn't fix the fact that many shareware authors are now MIA. How can AO reach them to get permission for such a service?

Offline Gojirax

• Show only replies by Gojirax
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 01:11:42 AM »

Matt_H wrote:
Good idea - but it still doesn't fix the fact that many shareware authors are now MIA. How can AO reach them to get permission for such a service?

Because it would be SOMEBODY'S job to find them.

As it stands it's NOBODY'S job, therefore it won't get done.

I think it's a great idea. Although I thought that was what SASG was supposed to do?

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 01:27:12 AM »
some of these people may be dead?  Some of these people are hard to deal with (read "crazy" not un heard of for programmes to go crazy....) it's just not easy. I like the idea...... in the mean time crack them...before they go bad...  There is little that a 3rd party can leagaly do, it's there propery, lots o people take there code with them to the grave(damn shame!).  The best thing you can do is learn how to code realy super well so you don't have to depend on others, but then you will be like them... it's crazy!

Pierre

:-D

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:39:49 AM »
@ Gojirax

Because it would be SOMEBODY'S job to find them.

Unless the mods here at AO have superhuman abilities, they'll hit the same snags as everyone else who's tried to find authors of old shareware, if they even have the time to do so.

As it stands it's NOBODY'S job, therefore it won't get done.

I think open discussion among users (like we're doing now) is probably the best way to find these authors. But yes, I think AO would be a reliable and trustworthy source to sell the programs once they've been found.

Although I thought that was what SASG was supposed to do?

I think SASG's concept was a little different - more to help shareware authors package and polish their work to become a more finished product (at least Stefan Stuntz is still around to answer this question :-)). Now we're talking about getting desperately needed utilities available again in any (non-crippleware) capacity.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 08:33:59 PM »
...I think AO would be a reliable and trustworthy source to sell the programs once they've been found.

And, keeping the kitty fed would serve as a kind of incentive to keep it going. Keeping the site going might also encourage users to find programmers. I also thing that if a programmer of old stuff sees the service that they might even just turn over registration without having to be tracked down. Same goes for programmers of current shareware if they move on to other things.

I don't know if AO should be in the business of taking registrations for stuff that's still being supported, though. Even though that'd probably be a more consistent source of commissioned income. Might be too much to handle, on top of site maintenence. (Interesting side business for someone, though: a service for shareware guys who want to spend time programming, not dealing with registration hassles.)
----

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
Quote:
"Because it would be SOMEBODY'S job to find them."

I say we commence with the downloading and then let THEM find US...  That should get them communicating.
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
Its always easier to beg forgiveness than to beg permission.
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 06:34:40 PM »
@stopthegop

People are already downloading. That's why they want to register.
----

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 07:06:14 PM »
I don't know if AO should be in the business of taking registrations for stuff that's still being supported, though. Even though that'd probably be a more consistent source of commissioned income. Might be too much to handle, on top of site maintenence.

I agree. I could see this more as a paid keyfile generator for authors who don't have the time/interest to support old software registrations on their own.

(Interesting side business for someone, though: a service for shareware guys who want to spend time programming, not dealing with registration hassles.)

I think IOSpirit and DiscreetFX have volunteered such a service. I suppose SASG would fall into this category as well, but they've only had the same 4 products for as long as I can remember.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 08:17:10 PM »
I suppose SASG would fall into this category as well, but they've only had the same 4 products for as long as I can remember.

When I first had the idea for a website listing fan-made episodes of MST3K (see sig), I was online looking for websites of individual producers and found only a few. Then, I had the idea, but soon found someone else had the same idea so I didn't bother. A year later (and still to this day) his site says "please send information about your projects" and he has no more listed than I had found in my initial search. So, I started my own website and the list is mega large now because I did an active search for projects and contacted people and eventually people would just contact me.

This anecdote could be applied to the SASG situation. Except, since there is money involved, the good will of AO might be neccessary to get the authors of shareware to even respond because they would be less likely to think some nut-case  was trying to rip them off.
----

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 01:27:28 AM »
:afro:. It's the new :bump:.
----

Offline Mingshuang

• Show only replies by Mingshuang
    • http://www.regsw.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:06:43 AM »
I have a small site where is intended as an aid for shareware authors to compare and select the most appropriate shareware registration services. The list are the processing and other associated fees for each shareware registration service. Those information was gathered from the website of each shareware registration service. If you know of a service which should be listed but isn't, please contact them and mention this page. I will be happy to add more entries, if given sufficient details to complete the items below. Please go to: http://www.regsw.com.
http://www.regsw.com
An overview and comparison of shareware registration services.