Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers  (Read 21887 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:48:24 AM »
Sometimes (many times) is like os4 is against the real amiga.
a1200 060

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 04:57:29 AM »
What they should have done was put him on pay roll.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
So does anyone have those banned drivers handy for Amithlon? I'd REALLY like to get my hands on them. I'd rather have a better Amithlon over OS 4 any day at this point, especially considering the company politics... makes me not want to support them in the least.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 02:03:45 AM »
Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on ratte's openpci radeon drivers as well.
I still used, and enjoy amithlon as well, so had been watching the drivers progress since they were 1st announced. Unfortunately I didnt download them in time and they were removed before I had a chance to try them.

As for the thread, I'd be interested in a bounty if it comes to that, just as long as theyre openpci.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »
I *THINK* I have them...... Not sure and I just moved, so my server's not setup yet. I'll check and see if I have them still. I haven't used Amithlon in a while.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline smf

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
better Radeon Mediator drivers for os3.x (warp3d support) would be nice, the lack of warp3d drivers for os3.1 is the main reason for me  to not use my radeon card and buy os4.1 classic.

The main os in my A4000 is and always will be os3.9 but it would be cool to play around with os4.1 on it too but but without better radeon drivers for 3.9 it wont happen because Voodoo3 is the best gfx card i can have on os3.9 and with os4.1 it's radeon. I would have to swap cards to switch OS or live with the slow voodoo3 when using 4.1 (i have tested voodoo3 on my pegasos2 and it's dead slow with some of the "modern" features in  os4 that i don't want to live without)

Offline JohnFanteTopic starter

• Show only replies by JohnFante
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;747815
I *THINK* I have them...... Not sure and I just moved, so my server's not setup yet. I'll check and see if I have them still. I haven't used Amithlon in a while.

If you have them it would be great. :-)

Regarding the bounty I will send Elbox a mail and see how they react.

A first step would be to get better OS3.9 Radeon drivers. Warp3D/Wazp3D support for Radeon the next step.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:04:05 AM by JohnFante »
Booooiiiing!!!!

Offline woof

• Show only replies by woof
    • http://uae.is.free.fr
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »
Hello

You wrote
"for OS.39 suck They lack speed and there is no Warp3D support.
On OS4.1 Classic it is the other way around. The Voodoo drivers are slow and Warp3D support is not good"

Excuse my ignorance but why does the old  (good) 3.9 driver dont works on os4.1 ?
(After all they are both AmigaOS .library (ies) )
Is it because the 3.9 one is 68k and the 4.1 ppc ?
Or perhaps because 3.9 driver is Warp3D v4 and os4.1 is v5 ?
I mean does old 68k progs (that still use v4) works well on os4.1 with the old driver ? and only
new progs (that use v5) dont works  ?

>aros(68k), introduce pci bridges support to it, make gallium work on it, and introduce wazp3d to gallium wrapper. sounds complex and im not sure it would actually work, but thats what i would try. mind you i have pursued this subject few years ago and turned to aros as result anyway
I fully agree with Wawa :-)

The way is :
compile Mesa for Aros 68k : first as software
then make (hardware) gallium  works with  it on Aros 68k (pci stuff...)
Recompile Wazp3D-Aros (that already include an OpenGL renderer) on Aros 68k

Alain Thellier

Offline JohnFanteTopic starter

• Show only replies by JohnFante
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
Quote from: woof;747835
Hello

You wrote
"for OS.39 suck They lack speed and there is no Warp3D support.
On OS4.1 Classic it is the other way around. The Voodoo drivers are slow and Warp3D support is not good"

Excuse my ignorance but why does the old  (good) 3.9 driver dont works on os4.1 ?
(After all they are both AmigaOS .library (ies) )
Is it because the 3.9 one is 68k and the 4.1 ppc ?

In OS4.1 all graphicsdrivers etc. are PPC native. I have not tried to use the OS3.9 version of the Voodoo drivers. I will give that a go - but I do not have high expectations. I have used old 3.9 drivers with my Tocatta sound drivers but the result was not very effective (high CPU load).

Or perhaps because 3.9 driver is Warp3D v4 and os4.1 is v5 ?
I mean does old 68k progs (that still use v4) works well on os4.1 with the old driver ? and only
new progs (that use v5) dont works  ?

I have not really tested that.

The way is :

Alain Thellier

Are you the man for that project Alain? :-)
Booooiiiing!!!!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;747777
So does anyone have those banned drivers handy for Amithlon? I'd REALLY like to get my hands on them. I'd rather have a better Amithlon over OS 4 any day at this point, especially considering the company politics... makes me not want to support them in the least.

AFAIK Ratte's 68k driver is not Amithlon specific as it uses openpci.library. OpenPCI works on Mediators so in theory his driver should also work on them too.

I wonder if his driver is in archive.org or Google cache?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
once it was possible to use 68k rtg drivers for os4 classic. i mean the elbox voodoo drivers. you had to disable the native drivers first in the kicklayout though. i dont remember exact procedure, but it was not recommended and i dont know if this still works under 4.1.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »
hi alain!
The way is :
done, but not working correctly yet. its the same on other v1 platforms. have bothered deadwood about a fix without result;)
partly done, pci half implemented, pending since long even though sonic has promised to look into it. apparently the interrupts are still missing.
it compiles for 68k. alas it doesnt work, crashes afair. may that be the reason why aros wazp3d  is much bigger than your genuine 68k compile?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »
would have to check what version of wazp is the aros commited one. the genuine wazp worked last time i checked on aros68k. must confirm though..

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Quote from: JohnFante;747597
I am considering setting up a bounty to collect enough money to get Elbox to develop and release better Radeon drivers with Warp3D support. And to get the drivers open sourced :-)

I'm not sure if getting the drivers open-sourced is likely. The Picasso96 stuff was an under-NDA-only sort of thing, so no P96 drivers have ever been open-sourced. I'm not sure about CyberGraphics drivers if they are all encumbered with NDAs sa well, or if they can be open-sourced.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;747698
Sometimes (many times) is like os4 is against the real amiga.

they want to sell their licenses and avoid everything that would support users on other platforms. I can remember reading a thread where someone asked one of the Friedens to compile something for another platform (I think it was Warp3D for 68k) and the answer was I could but I do not, buy AmigaOS when you want to use it (i do not remember the exact phrases). That shows the attitude...

As Wawa said only chance is AROS 68k. BTW the same is partly the case on MorphOS team too. Both "closed-source" and "commercial" camps want to defend their advantages and are not interested in sharing code in areas where they think they are better than the others. It is their right of course but it would have been better in a common interest to work together. But that is not the case (and will propably never be).

Of course it is different outside the "core" and even in the teams there are exceptions that are very open (like Fab from MorphOS-Team) but I think every technology that is seen as advantage like MUI4, P96, Cybergraphics 5 and so that is copyrighted will not opened or at least cross-compiled.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:37:49 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 13, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;747859
they want to sell their licenses and avoid everything that would support users on other platforms.

Just to set the record straight: The "they" in "they stopped Ratte" referred to Elbox, not Hyperion. Hyperion has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Boring detail, I know. Let's bash Hyperion anyway.