Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiAutoUpdater - Keeping Your Programs Up-to-date  (Read 8824 times)

Description:

Offline TygreTopic starter

AmiAutoUpdater - Keeping Your Programs Up-to-date
« on: November 02, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
Hi all!

I just released the very first version, 0.1, of AmiAutoUpater, a program to keep your programs up-to-date!

Its principle is simple: using a script or an icon, AmiAutoUpdater checks whether a remote archive (HTTP or FTP supported) is newer than a local file. If it is, it downloads and unarchives the archive to replace the obsolete program (and its resources), voilà! :)

It is available here, here, and here (currently, no "lonely" executable).

All comments, suggestions, and bug reports are welcome!
Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline outlawal2

Re: AmiAutoUpdater - Keeping Your Programs Up-to-date
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Sounds great, (And I mean that!)

but does it have a back button?
Please tell me there is some way to back out an update in case there are issues..

I have spent too many years using updaters with other software that make changes that break things by accident and then no way to reverse them..

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
M-Kay… I’ll bite…. with some Q’s….  ;)

Where does the updater check for updates?
Where are the updates remotely stored?
When you state “program” does that include device drivers, libs, datatypes, etc…?
Will the updater check for outdated components within an Amiga “program”? I.E., P96, Wordsworth, etc…?
Are all updates already scanned for viruses?
Once the updater has determined appropriate updates, does it display all the updates before installation?
Will each update be displayed with a box, to select or deselect, any updates that I choose?
Will each update have a link for “description of update”?
As outlawal2 asked, can I uninstall any of the updates individually or the entire update process?
Will the updater create a log of installed updates?
Will the updater move my old component(s) to a “safe folder” for easy retrieval if an update breaks something?
Will the updater warn if an individual update is older than a component already installed on my system?
Will the updater warn me if something needs to be changed in my startup-sequence?
What if my system will not boot after an update?
Is the "Updater" suitable for all versions of AmigaOS?

BTW, you're download links are dead.  ::)

Okay, you get the idea……   ;D

You know, this is going to make Kolla’s head explode with legal questions!  :o
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:28:50 PM by giZmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Amiwest

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by Amiwest
    • http://www.sacc.org

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »
Hi all!

@Amiwest Thanks for the help!

@outlawal2 That's a very good idea, thanks! I will put it in my TODO list :)

@giZmo350 And your point is? Wait! No need to answer ;) (BTW, RTFM.)

Best!

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:22:24 PM »
Tygre, sorry if I came off as reactionary... well, I guess I did...  hahaha... I think this project is awesome! Amiga users have needed something like this for a long time! In my mind, this seems to be a YUgggge undertaking! However, I know that you gained a lot of experience with your AmiMod project... I followed it closely since it's inception. Great program.

I know you'll create a great program that will utilize your AmiEducation & get a lot of great help from the community too!

My previous bullet points/Q's were meant to convey... WTF... how's this program gonna work?

BTW, I would have RTFM if your links had worked.... ARRRGGG!

& thanks for posting over here at AO!

Anyhoo, congrats on the launch!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:43:20 PM by giZmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:40:58 PM »
 ;D

Okay then, now I must answer all of your questions then :o (and sorry for the broken link, it should be fixed now, is it?)

• Where does the updater check for updates? It uses a URL provided by the user/developer, for example http://www.chingu.asia/wiki/userfiles/file/Programming/AmiModRadio/LatestAmiModRadio.lha
  • Where are the updates remotely stored? On any server but I would highly recommend Aminet, of course!
  • When you state “program” does that include device drivers, libs, datatypes, etc…? That's a more tricky feature: if the program is well-behaved and has all of its resources in its own drawer, then, yes, else... future work!
  • Will the updater check for outdated components within an Amiga “program”? I.E., P96, Wordsworth, etc…? Oh, that's a good point! Right now it doesn't but the remote archive can contain as much or as little as the developers want...
  • Are all updates already scanned for viruses? Nah, no viruses on our beloved Amiga ;)
  • Once the updater has determined appropriate updates, does it display all the updates before installation? Not yet but that's definitely the next feature: having a user interface.
  • Will each update be displayed with a box, to select or deselect, any updates that I choose? I haven't thought about that by, why not!
  • Will each update have a link for “description of update”? That's another great idea, I hadn't thought about that!
  • As outlawal2 asked, can I uninstall any of the updates individually or the entire update process? This is really for one program at a time...
  • Will the updater create a log of installed updates? Not yet but that's definitely also the next (next) feature: having a clean log of what's its doing.
  • Will the updater move my old component(s) to a “safe folder” for easy retrieval if an update breaks something? That's another very good idea, thanks!
  • Will the updater warn if an individual update is older than a component already installed on my system? Not directly because it is really for one program at a time... now, if I go into the direction of also updating other pieces, yes, it should!
  • Will the updater warn me if something needs to be changed in my startup-sequence? That's another great suggestion... I hadn't planed such feature but why not...
  • What if my system will not boot after an update? Right now, this cannot happen (?) but, yes, if there was updates to common pieces (like libraries), this could happen... but then I would make sure to save anything changed in an "OLD" drawer...
  • Is the "Updater" suitable for all versions of AmigaOS? I humbly believe that it should work on AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS and AROS but I have only tested it on AmigaOS 3.1.4!

And thanks for following AmiModRadio :D

Cheers!

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:52:33 PM »

• Is the "Updater" suitable for all versions of AmigaOS? I humbly believe that it should work on AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS and AROS but I have only tested it on AmigaOS 3.1.4!

AmigaOS 3.1.4! WTH! Now I have a bunch more questions (man, thanks for that excellent detailed reply!). However, no time! Gotta go to my sister-in-law's - What a day I'm having!  :-\
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:02:28 AM by giZmo350 »

The following users thanked this post: Tygre

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 12:03:35 AM »
AmigaOS 3.1.4! WTH! Now I have a bunch more questions (man, thanks for that excellent detailed reply!). However, no time! Gotta go to my sister-in-law's - What a day I'm having!  :-\

Fire up your questions any time :)
Cheers!

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:17:40 PM »
There is a GUI mentioned somewhere, do anyone has screenshots? :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
What does this give me that Grunch doesn't?

http://geit.de/eng_grunch.html
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »
Hi all!

@TribbleSmasher  Yes, there will be a GUI... but it is currently future work! :)

@nicholas From my understanding of Grunch, the principles of AmiAutoUpdater and Grunch are different: AmiAutoUpdater is meant to update one program at a time and give control to developers whether/when/how to let users update their programs. Grunch seems like a package manager for a whole system (Workbench and programs), doesn't it? (BTW, I never managed to get Grunch work on my computers :'().

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:09:52 PM by Tygre »

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »
sounds like a helpful program for our miggies :D will try on my A4000
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: