Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mount old real amiga hard drive  (Read 1973 times)

Description:

Offline 1915Topic starter

• Show only replies by 1915
Mount old real amiga hard drive
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
Hello everyone

I recently found my old Amiga1200 in my parents storage and decided to remove the harddrive to inspect in from my pc. It's an 60mb 2.5" IDE from 1993, "Areal MD2060". I haven't really been near any amiga for some 15 years, but I was hoping to mount it to inspect some of my old code and check out what I was doing at the time.

I bought an USB-cabinet and plugged it in. The drivers installed ok. I could mount it from WinUAE although it didn't give me any specifics about sectors, partitions or anything else, not even how much space was on the HD. When starting up WinUAE the HD is not represented.

I dont know what filesystem the drive is formatted in. By the sound it makes, it appears to be in pretty healthy condition. I run a Windows 7 64bit computer.

I've followed the instructions in the WinUAE readme, checked all the forums but cannot find any solution. Is there any windows or linux tool what would let me mount the harddrive, or inspect it's filesystem?

Offline Thomas

Re: Mount old real amiga hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
Those old drives don't work on USB. Get a 2.5->3.5 IDE cable and connect it directly to the motherboard.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:48:30 PM by Thomas »

Offline 1915Topic starter

• Show only replies by 1915
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
Thanks, that would explain it :)

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
Quote from: 1915;664844
Hello everyone

I recently found my old Amiga1200 in my parents storage and decided to remove the harddrive to inspect in from my pc. It's an 60mb 2.5" IDE from 1993, "Areal MD2060". I haven't really been near any amiga for some 15 years, but I was hoping to mount it to inspect some of my old code and check out what I was doing at the time.

I bought an USB-cabinet and plugged it in. The drivers installed ok. I could mount it from WinUAE although it didn't give me any specifics about sectors, partitions or anything else, not even how much space was on the HD. When starting up WinUAE the HD is not represented.

I dont know what filesystem the drive is formatted in. By the sound it makes, it appears to be in pretty healthy condition. I run a Windows 7 64bit computer.

I've followed the instructions in the WinUAE readme, checked all the forums but cannot find any solution. Is there any windows or linux tool what would let me mount the harddrive, or inspect it's filesystem?

Right click on the WinUAE icon and check the property "Run as administrator". That should allow you to add the HD in WinUAE.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
Quote from: 1915;664844
Hello everyone

Right click on the WinUAE icon and check the property "Run as administrator". That should allow you to add the HD in WinUAE.

I know mine don't show up unless I do that.